How did we get this lag fest?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Stanktonia, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordspace New Player

Mepps can we please have an update on the lag is been over a week, I keep not being able enjoy the game due to this lag I get.
  2. llllDeathstroke Active Player

PLEASE, do something about it... i just login and freeze, nothing is moving... nothing is dying.....
  3. llllDeathstroke Active Player

Literally unplayable......
    I don't understand how i'm supposed to play, if it was laggy but playable i wouldn't mind... but when all you see is people flying in and outside of the ground, enemies not dying... it's just stupid.... like seriously... fix it already it's been what? WEEKS? -_-
  4. Rainnifer Committed Player

This definitely makes me believe that the heavy lag is only in certain instances or phases, I hardly experience such heavy lag at least compared to some other people. I only see it in some missions sometimes. Maybe try to phase to another area? And yes I'm USPC. If that doesn't change anything then maybe certain accounts are just affected more than others.
  5. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We were able to use different tools to gather data over the last few days, and we believe we are on to something. That said, we are still searching for the root cause.
    • Like x 4
  7. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I was not seeing any lag at all while I was playing - until I started working on a lower level character in the open world. If I do solo instances, no problem. If I work in the open world, the lag is unbearable. As folks say, it makes the game unplayable. I had been playing solo so much I didn't notice the lag until yesterday.

I will note I haven't seen much lag in BoP Met, either. Just in everything else that has more than a couple of other players around.
  8. kingxkhaos Well-Known Player

I understand times are tough, but right now it seems DCUO is doing better than ever during this quarantine. Population numbers are up, one would assume profits are up as well. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the lagg won't be fixed until after quarantine, none of you are going into the office building so I feel like hardware upgrades will be difficult.

The game in the current state it's been in since the release of BOP is unplayable, and not just the new DLC, the entire game. We pay a subscription fee to have no lagg, to have s smooth running game, and for our money to go into creating a better in game experience. Not, I repeat, NOT cosmetic items and gambling money away with loot crates (time capsules).

The weekly events you've done here are great, and I think that during the quarantine it was not only a smart marketing ploy, but a way to give us more to do during a global crisis. Here's my issue, there has yet to be any compensation for the state the games been in, which is almost unplayable. We're paying a subscription fee to a game that we can't play most of. My league, and pug groups I've been in have had to disband raids, because there will be a 10 second delay and then everyone just dies.

Whether it's a free month subscription to legendary players, or an artifact XP pack to get us started on a new artifact, compensation is required in this cenerio. We're paying for a service we can't use, and you as the devs should either move quickly to fix said issue or compensate us for our money that's currently being wasted on an unplayable game.

We're all in crisis, the money I've spent over the past 9 years on legendary would have been useful during this time, the money I'm spending now on a legendary service that I can't utilize is ridiculous, I know a lot of players that will not be continuing their subscription until the lagg issue is dealt with, myself included. So please, figure this out, or give us a damn good reason to stay.
    • Like x 1
  9. Merlin2574 Well-Known Player

There is one way that I put this, to remind older veteran players, and to explain it to newer players that don't seem to understand, complaining about the amount of lag or how things don't always work right.

Go to any retail store that sells school and office supplies, such as Walmart. Find the cheap packs of lined paper, either college or wide ruled, it really doesn't matter for the point that I'm making. Grab a couple of them, at least 3 or more. Each of these should have the "3 holes" designed to place them in a binder or notebook. Now this next step, you can either try to visualize it, or if you have the couple bucks to spend and you're in need of lined paper, I recommend to buy them first, and then open them all up. Once the plastic wrap is gone (unless you're visualizing it), put all the packs together in one neat stack, making sure all the four edges are straight & even, that there are no pages out of alignment. Now look at the 3 holes in the stacks of paper. I can guarantee that those stacks of paper will not be perfectly lined up in those 3 holes.

Why? Because each edition that is rolled out will not always be the same, or line up perfectly with all of the others.

Now think in terms of the game, and how it is developed. This doesn't just apply to DCUO, but to ANY game that is regularly connected to the internet, and receives periodic updates. Including games played on Android and iOS. When that game is first rolled out, it isn't going to be perfectly flawless, but it will be as close to that as the devs can make it. It is that first sheet of paper, laid down, crisp and clean, ready to be used. Each and every update that follows that first release, is essentially laid down on top of that first layout. And that cycle repeats, again and again, with every minor or major update. For the devs to make ANY game flawless each and every single time they re-do it, they'd have to completely go back to square one. To remove any existing element, that may include saved files or profiles, and start over from scratch including any updated information or content with the new update. And that is not cost effective nor plausible.

Therefore any update that comes out to include whether minor adjustments or new content, must be laid down with the prior build and hope that they will be as straight as possible, and line up enough to where they work with as little error as possible. But like those packs of lined paper, they won't always line up cleanly and evenly. There are going to be flaws. There is going to be lag here and there, especially during these current times. So to anyone, you can either work with it, go with the flow, accept it for what it is, or you can stop playing and go to something else. This game, or any game, will never be perfect. Honestly, the only games where you don't have to worry about constant updates that don't line up or work, are old school console games. And that's why I like them.

It just sucks that you need an old school TV to play some of them. Ugh. :p :)
  10. kingxkhaos Well-Known Player

This analogy is... Kind of terrible. The proper one would be, go into a store and buy paper, after you've paid and checked out the cashier burns the paper and you can no longer use it.

You've paid money for a product that you now can't use because it's not working as intended.

A better analogy would be buying a phone without a working screen, you've paid your money but the phone doesn't work. The company would either give you a credit or a new phone.

Since we don't have the option to get a new game, the only other option would be a credit.

We all understand these things happen, but we pay money so that they don't. When something goes wrong for this long, compensation is in order.
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

While I appreciate the analogies here, there really are no excuses. Something is significantly wrong, and we have not yet been able to track down what or why.

This one is extraordinarily difficult. As always in these situations, though, the pieces will fall together and once they do, a fix will be out very quickly after that. It is almost always finding the issue that takes the time, not implementing the actual fix.
    • Like x 10
  12. SteelMachineZero Well-Known Player

The lag seems extra spicey today but the rubber banding is really bad .
    • Like x 1
  13. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

Lag has been better today. Still present but less frequent for me today.
  14. IonHero Committed Player

We shouldn't have cracked the source wall last DLC, probably where all the lag is seeping through.
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We have a hotfix going out tomorrow morning with additional tools to help us track this down.
    • Like x 7
  16. Controller Devoted Player

For me it's been better the entire week - and I've been using replays on the BOP raids almost daily.

I've seen MAYBE 2 bad lag spikes per raid...nothing else major...seems to me a lot better than the last couple of weeks.

Ran the Thanagar Raids and noticed maybe 1 bad spike per raid today?

I'm on PC US using FiOS. Also have 2 gamer sons in house running stuff as well.
  17. crap zappa New Player

Holy unplayable game. We just ran brim e amd clock tower reg. Unfreaking real how much lag was. Even in my lair it was bad. Mics cutting out. I understand you are workim on it. But rolling out seasonals and stuff while the game is in such poor shape? Ill give it another week or so and then im jusy gonna skip the rest of this DLC and come back when the game is playable agaim.
  18. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

Tried doing a SGe feat run yesterday- game would completely freeze for 5-20 seconds during boss fights. Needless to say we disbanded because it was not possible to complete with that bad of lag.
  19. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Some days the lag is awful like for me yesterday was just a mess OMG and then some days I can do raids without any lag.
  20. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

Did the fix go out?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.