Nooo, don't take it away from us. :'(

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Caroline, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Caroline Dedicated Player

Every April Fools' Day we keep our gifts and this year it's perishable?

https://ibb.co/xs7nfvp

https://ibb.co/SdGm5q3

I know it's not a big deal, but I personally love it, please don't take it away from us! You created it anyway, so why don't you just let us keep it? :(
    • Like x 8
  2. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I agree, I want to keep it
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Sigh...businesses applying 20th century business practices (scarcity marketing, ie “while supplies last!”) to 21st century products (digital IP). I could rant all day about that crap.

Business: “Hurry! Download your limited edition thing-a-majig while you still can!”

Customers: “You know we’re smart enough to understand the concept of “Ctrl C -> Ctrl V” right?”

Any chance that the daily counter is part of the joke???
  4. Belthazur Dedicated Player

Please Consider Leaving this Trinket in game and Removing the 7 Day Expiration.
    This is just Tooo Much Fun. :D
  5. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

6. Caroline Dedicated Player

But the infinite Time Capsule was also trolly, yet it stayed! I'm pretty sure people understand jokes, especially on this day, please, consider not removing it. :(
    • Like x 2
  7. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Can you elaborate a bit on how you think "20th century business practices (scarcity marketing)" are being applied to a (free) april fools joke item?
    • Like x 6
  8. dresserball Dedicated Player

Well if you guys think this is trolly why put it in the game at all?
    • Like x 1
  9. Aren Sul Committed Player

I understand the reason for limiting it, but...

I want this FOREVER!!! :D

Best - gift - evah!
    • Like x 1
  10. Draconiano Committed Player

This, I hated the Infinite TC, yet it will stuck with me forever so I can always remember why I hate it.

But I love this year's gift.
    If it's really considered that intrusive, just reduce the effect duration to 1 minute, it has a long cooldown already.
    • Like x 2
  11. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Well, I imagine it will come back each year through the vault; so it’ll turn out to be a 7 day event each year.
  12. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Wait... is the 7 day limit a joke?
    • Like x 1
  13. Tangent Line Level 30

I personally don't mind it being a time sensitive item. I think any longer, the item would lose its novelty. Some things aren't meant to be forever; I just appreciate we received something neat for a while. Maybe I'm just an optimist...
  14. FoolsFire Devoted Player

That's my thought as well. That it'll still be there and people need to take a chill pill.
  15. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

16. Caroline Dedicated Player

I understand your point of view, however I personally love saving my items, I have saved every OP item (even the ones from the Vault), every trinket, I have bought every cosmetic thign in this game, just for the sake of having it.
    • Like x 2
  17. Caroline Dedicated Player

No thanks, I'd prefer to bi*ch & moan rather than take a chill pill.
    • Like x 2
  18. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Well, first let me preface by saying I have no delusions that I was a fly on the wall while decisions were made about this nor am I a mind reader. I know it’s entirely possible that I’m not only painting with too wide of a brush but painting the wrong canvas altogether so to speak. The shoe very well may not fit. That being the case, hypotheticals, flimsy though they may be, are all too often the basis of perceptions.

But since you asked...

Scarcity marketing is a marketing tactic designed to create a sense of urgency and fear of missing out to influence consumer behavior, be it sales, engagement, buzz, etc. Typically, (with notable exceptions to some scenarios usually involving sub-IP licensing deals), in the digital IP realm it would require artificial scarcity as the actual overhead cost to reproduce a digital product is a fraction of a sliver of the cost compared to, for example, Nike to once again manufacture the Air Jordan III’s on a limited production cycle.

As to free gifts, they are a form of customer engagement. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_engagement . Customer engagement is a type of marketing initiative. https://smartercx.com/what-is-customer-engagement-marketing/ . Any “Intro to Business student” will have learned the value of combined marketing strategies by midterms. The above combination is particularly effective in the right scenarios.

All that being said, despite the tone of my initial post which was aimed at significantly broader applications, I’m not critical of this free April Fools gift. Not only do I appreciate all the hard work you guys do, but you’ll find few if any who have tried more than I to remind this community that you guys are a for-profit business, not a charity (though I’m sure your CFO would love them tax breaks!). Last I checked, landlords, grocery stores and student loan creditors don’t accept a monthly customer log-in report as payment. Y’all gotta eat.

So keep on keepin on. I appreciate everything you guys do. I echo the words once spoken by a wise poet “I ain’t mad at ya, Got nothin’ but love for ya. Do ya thing...”
  19. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I don’t see how this could be used to troll honestly ...

And to go one step further I’d love if this was a toggle in the settings this would be on all the time for me

This is one of the simplest but coolest things you guys have ever put in the game ...
    • Like x 4
  20. Caroline Dedicated Player

Oooh, I didn't think about that, but it would be sooo cool!