People Who Leave Duos Because of Support Role

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ryazan, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I enjoy running duos with people in roles. If there's a tank, I get to smack all the adds and little bosses around without having to run all over the place, plus it's less I gotta watch my health bar.

If there's a healer, it's similar to having a tank, healers pull agro just by existing.
    If there's a troll, no power loss, enemies get stunned, and they're usually debuffed to the point where bosses fall like adds.

The people that leave the duo because you're in a role, seemingly think they're dps ability sucks bad enough that they can't run through it quickly enough with only them doing the mass of damage.

Keep on tanking, hope to see you in the duo!
    • Like x 4
  2. Miss Adora Loyal Player

DPS "I'm a beast" teams up with troller, "Can you dps?"
    • Like x 4
  3. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

I never leave a support role behind ina Duo. I never leave a lower level behind in a Duo. I submit that players who do, just aren't very good players.

I mean it's a DUO. They are beatable at minimum levels and by any combination of roles.
    • Like x 4
  4. xenothelm Active Player

I always gear my support role first, cause that's what my artifacts and augments are set up for. So in the early days of new content, yes I just might queue up duos as a healer so get over it
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I have come in on several duos where there is a healer/tank/troll already in there and it's in progress(so someone or a few have already left...as is your scenario). I'd never leave outright, but if I'm not seeing them doing that specific job of healing/giving power/handling the mobs, yeah....that's frustrating and maybe I'd leave. If you are going to go in as a role...play that role even when it's a duo. I was in a late run Friday night and came in on the theater battle (2nd boss...already frustrating). The guy was a healer. I stayed and ran the fight and had to drink a soda and drop my SD to stay alive...and he died as well....mind you never having less than about 3/4 power bar. Sorry man, but in that case I finished the fight (by myself) and left. It was 5 or 6 min to reset and that LB fight wasn't going to get finished in time anyway.

While I can't speak to your experiences...they may be different...I think that some people may leave because of past experiences with having to carry someone through the duo. By 'carry' I mean do all the damage AND cover the role that the other person is not doing...or not doing well. Not everyone of course...some are just concerned with all the burn and getting out 1-2 min sooner...but not everyone.

Honestly I've left more of the duos over people NOT hitting the cutscene skip when it's available than I have left for them being in a role. Now THAT is unforgivable.
    • Like x 2
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Well said.
  7. TheLastSuperman Well-Known Player

I might have been one of those who left, not because of what you said but simply because I had to take a giant massive **** and it just hit me wrong on duo start!

I was tank too but hybrid spec'd so safe to say we'd of flown through quicker than my visit to the throne.
  8. Captin Raptor Well-Known Player

I dont care what cr you are or what role u play. I ask only 1 thing. If u have been in the batscape duo before and you've already seen the cut scenes, I love DCUO so could u just hit the cogs with me to skip them.

If ur like cr285 or above and u fly right 2 hawkgirl, im out.
    • Like x 2
  9. SteelMachineZero Well-Known Player

Same, one person should be able to work the crystals in that duo
    • Like x 1
  10. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

Funny thing, just this morning I did the City Hall duo for Fight for the Light 1. You know, the one where you fight Sinestro at the end, and there's a Manhunter half way through the mission. My partner (who's in DPS role) demanded I switch to DPS or he'd "Leave you like the waste of space you are". So I switched to my DPS armory. I'm experimenting with a different DPS loadout right now with different synergies. It's more single target oriented, but so far is working out okay.

Anyway, I was holding my own, but my "partner" was struggling with the trash mobs. I saw him using a Sodar at least 7 times before the first mini-boss encounter. When I took the time to observe why I realized he wasn't using his super powers at all. Only reason I knew he had Earth Control was his bullets were earth pellets. Speaking of bullets, he never did any weapon combos either. He just button mashed his ranged attack. No heavy ranged attacks, no interrupt combos, not even the full auto thing you get if you hold ranged attack with dual pistols. Just spammed light ranged attacks.

When we got to the Yellow Lantern Construct room he started threatening to quit if I didn't "stop holding him back". So I told him "Look, I switched to DPS like you demanded me to do. This is not my best gear setup. It's not my preferred power load out either. But I switched for you. I've been spending this entire duo babysitting you because you either don't know how to play your character, or are too lazy to contribute with more then button spam. This room needs one of us to tank the infinitely spawning adds while the other interacts with the object. I'm going to switch back to Controller role so I can keep all the adds locked down. You need to get your act together and start working with me to complete this."

He abandoned me after that. So I locked down all the adds and used the interact-able object, rinse and repeat until the room was cleared. Then I went on to solo the rest of the Duo.

Which goes to show it's not "Support" that slows down a Duo. It's "bad players" that do so.
    • Like x 2
  11. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

Regarding my above bit..

As a side note, I never once saw my 'partner' Break Free when affected by crowd control. Instead he sat there helpless for the entire duration. Nor did he ever try using barrels offensively or defensively. Yes, that includes healing barrels. And he yelled at me for smashing healing barrels near him to try saving his life.
  12. Proxystar #Perception

The hard cold facts dude are that when you're running a duo at tier it's going to be faster with 2 dps, that's simply the reality. If you stick two competent trollers in the new duo and two competent dps in the new duo, who is finishing first? Honestly there's no need to wriggle to some sort of "oh but this" answer.

It's not an issue, that you're wanting to constantly play small content in support role and that, that is what you enjoy; but, you probably need to understand and appreciate that not everyone is going to want that and they're going to therefore leave, that's their prerogative.

If this was becoming such a systemic issue that you were struggling to find partners cause everyone was leaving then that probably should indicate that you are in a minority and that's the very reason the developers have given us all, irrespective of power class, the ability to damage deal, because it's more efficient in small content and there comes a time when we might need to engage in damage dealing in both small content and possibly even in large.

And honestly I think it's no excuse that just because it's an alt you're building, that you can somehow half-*** it and purposefully only build one side of the character and not expect to come across some players that behave in this manner, it shouldn't be surprising, because the reality is, if you built the character in a more complete manner you wouldn't have this issue because you'd simply switch to DPS when it was more efficient, people generally tend to move towards a solution to a problem that is more efficient, not almost purposefully take the harder route when it isn't necessary and in fact the game has given us the tools (the ability to DPS) suggesting it isn't even intended that we do so.

It seems to be at a certain point somewhat contumacious, in that some people simply don't want to switch DPS because they won't be forced in to it, this attitude in small content is exactly the same as a DPS player that refuses to switch support when the need arises and causes a wipe in larger content, they've built their character in a "half-***" way and the rest of the group are now suffering because of it.

Now that's fine if you want to do that, but unfortunately you're going to have to find people that either don't care about it or voluntarily want to help you, because there's people out there that are also just going to leave if it's not what they want and you can't really critisize them when their desire to "have it their way" is coming up against your exact same desire of "having it your way".

I would encourage people that when building an alternate character to always build both sides, otherwise you're only hampering yourself at that point, you really are. I have a number of alt characters myself and of the serious ones I play I have both roles set up and built on all but 1 of them, which is the one I player to a lesser extent, then I have my event toons which are DPS only.

I have to say when you approach your character building with the intent of only doing one side of it you're somewhat creating the rod for your own back and then getting upset when it smacks you. ;)
    • Like x 3
  13. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

@Proxystar My point is, and has always been that it doesn't matter if someone is in DPS or a Support role. A well built and played character is not going to slow the instance down much, if at all, by being in a support role. No, my point has always been that it's bad players which slow down an instance. And that they do this regardless of what role they are in. Support or DPS role, a bad player will still be a bad player. And getting them to switch to DPS role isn't going to change that.

Also, expecting everyone to have 2 or more armories on every character is kind of stupid. I have 3 armories on my hero main. And 3 on my villain main. None of my other characters have multiple armories because I don't play that character enough to justify buying more. As such my other character either are DPS or Support focused. If I decided the character will be DPS, I only have DPS gear. If I decided they will be Support, they only have gear for their support role starting as soon as possible.

With my hero main, I outfit my DPS role with drops from running instances. That's because it would take far longer then I care to bother with to farm the Source Marks to buy two sets of gear every time I progress to the next tier.
    • Like x 1
  14. Proxystar #Perception

It doesn't matter to you that someone is in support role, but that's the issue, just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to others.

Also I find the suggestion that "someone being in support doesn't slow down a duo" to be somewhat disingeneous of the facts, depending on how that player is set up it can slow down the duo and does slow down the duo, to what extent probably depends somewhat on the individual players ability, what we do know though, is that it does slow it down, and some people just simply don't want to deal with that.

With that being said, you also have to then appreciate that if you were to stack players taking this approach with one another, i.e. you put two controllers or two tanks or two healers in a duo that slow down is going to be much more significant, to the extent where you're literally just wasting time for no reason other than your own stubborness.

So just asserting that "oh no, it's just bad players that slow down instances" simply isn't true at all, because 2 healers, could be great healers, but they're still blowing through that duo much slower than 2 great DPS.

Also with respect to your point about everyone having 2 or more armories for every character, no it isn't stupid to have that expectation. If you're going to make another character either be prepared to spend $5 on it, which is pretty minimal, I might add, or be prepared to deal with the fact that some people out there aren't going to want to run content in a less efficient manner because you've decided to build a dedicated healer that can't change for example.

And with respect as well, investing $5 in a character you're building if indeed you're taking it seriously is all part of what this game is about, is it not?
    • Like x 1
  15. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

Actually, I use to exclusively run Duos with a friend. And we would both be in support role. He was a Tank, and I was a Healer or Controller. We managed to get through most Duos we had access to without any appreciable issues or slowing down. When we tried in DPS role, we couldn't really tell any difference in the speed. It might have been a little faster, but we couldn't really tell. The only time a duo took took an unreasonable amount of time was if it was something that had mechanics which we were struggling to figure out.

And no, "investing $5 into a character you're building" is not what the game is all about. Having fun is what the game is all about. If you're going to demand I spend money that I don't have on optional things for every single character then I'm going to call you a fool. My finances are tight enough that I can only infrequently afford to go VIP. Hell, I frequently have less then $3 left at the end of any given month after paying bills and buying groceries right now. That's one reason I'm a fan of the game being F2P. I can play a game I enjoy, without having to constantly try to scrounge up enough money every month to pay the subscription fee.

Hell, I probably shouldn't have paid for 3 months of All Access membership this month. I couldn't really afford to do so since it cut into funds that should have gone towards paying off my computer.
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Your first paragraph is entirely anecdotal and is simply countered by me saying "I ran with a mate in support it was slow as all hell, then we ran DPS and melted that thing like unholy banshees" can you prove me wrong? The point is we know it's slower, how much slower is entirely irrelevant and probably differs to large extents player to player or even how much they're pushing towards battle support rather than pure support, either way it's still slower.

In terms of investing $5, I can't help your financial position, but the point remains if you're not going to invest in the armory then you probably need to appreciate you'll get a few people choosing not to play to your style, rather than berating them or acting like they shouldn't have a choice but to play with you, it would be better if you just acknowledged, well ok my choices or circumstances are impacting the result here, there's plenty of other players out there that won't care, so you just shrug your shoulders and move on.

Acting like somehow something should change or berating those other players is probably an exercise in extreme futility and will probably just result in unnecessary bitterness ;)
  17. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

If someone doesn't know what they're doing, has never tested to find a setup that works well for them, and is just switching to a support role without being geared for anything other then DPS, yeah I can see that causing issues. But then assuming this will be true of everyone is foolish and stupid. I've encountered so many people who exclusively stay in DPS role and have no idea what they are doing. I've encountered players who only manage to power through a Duo or Alert because they are over geared for it. I've also encountered people who know what they are doing and can blaze through content at-level regardless of role.

None of the Duos, to my knowledge, are so difficult you "need" two people in DPS role to power through it. Some have mechanics which require teamwork. That can slow a Duo down if there is no team work. Others are just a normal race to the end and beat down the boss. None of the trash mobs have so much health that it requires being in DPS role to quickly and efficiently take them out. And none of the end bosses I've fought have so much health that it requires two DPS to efficiently take them out either.

Even if you're finding the duo takes an extra minute or two, is that even an issue if it can take 3 hours of waiting to get into the Duo to begin with if it's not the newest one added to the game?
  18. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Who is sitting in a queue for 3 hours for a duo? Who? Even if you're a low CR villain on the Switch server, everyone has access to LFG or a league mate or a friend. There is always one person somewhere in the game you can ask to help you queue into a duo.
    • Like x 1
  19. Proxystar #Perception

We're not talking about "needs" here, we're talking about "wants".

People don't need a duo to be as fast as possible, they want the duo to be as fast as possible.

Your last sentence also is probably exactly the reason why "most of us" don't leave duos because of support players. ;)
    • Like x 1
  20. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

I would also like to know which duo has these crazy mechanics that take so long to learn like they talked about in their other post. All this over duos, acting like they are elite raids or something.
    • Like x 1