Birds of Prey Teaser: Black Canary

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I mean...this is her current look in the comic books.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 6
  2. Deus Ex Machina Committed Player

Living under a rock recently? For the longest time they've been gradually updating the in iconics models to resemble their "Rebirth" comic counterparts.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

So those of you who are bashing the design, take it up with their original designers and not the DCUO Art team.
    #Rebirth
    • Like x 5
  3. Zneeak Devoted Player

"It'S nOT tHe BlAcK caAnArY i LiKe, So ThErEfOrE iT's NoT bLaCk CaNaRy":
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 6
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I love it! I especially love the heavy eye liner!
    • Like x 3
  5. BlackzStar New Player

Yes Yes Yes! Gimme those legs, those boots, and that jacket!!!
  6. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

[IMG]
  7. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Please don't tease a Black Canary legends character.

[IMG]
  8. an81angel Well-Known Player

I hate to be nit-picky since I know someone spent a lot of time to make the new version of BC, and it does resemble the new comic look, HOWEVER. I don't like it.

The Negatives...
    - The hair (especially the bangs) looks flat in an unflattering way, like they have been glued to her forehead with a glue stick.
    - The blue shirt does look very similar in basic design to the wonder woman top, but worse than that is the way the black straps across her chest (the black straps that look like an X) look painted on her skin and not it's own separate removable piece of clothing that is attached to her shirt.
    - The fishnets are so large and spaced out it looks awkward in comparison to the very tight, small elements of the other pieces of her outfit. the detail on the shorts is very small, the rivets on the jacket are small, the buckles on the jacket/belt are small. The buckles are actually smaller than the gaps in the fishnets on her upper thigh. The proportions are so off with the nets. This is the one item I was really looking forward to. I really wanted an updated fishnet look after the old ones got messed up with the new skin models. I am very disappointed.
    - The face is unflattering (imo) I get that it's supposed to be a smokey eye make up, but it just looks like a raccoon face. If you added a black tear streak she'd easily look like a hooker after a bad night with a john, and just got beat up by her ****.

The Positives...
    - I do like the boots and the jacket, though if they were given to players for use as a reward I'd still probably never wear them. I prefer sleek boots to the standard thick chunky "cankle" boots that don't define the more delicate aspects of female legs. The drowned boots are perfection, the new canary boots are just more clunky ugliness.

Color Me Disappointed
    • Like x 2
  9. Stardazer Committed Player

Absolutely love it! She is so well designed. I cannot wait to fight crime alongside her in the new dlc. She's always been my favourite. <3 :D
  10. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

Then, I just gave a search and I realized that the look was inspired by the Rebirth recently launched (2016 in the USA, 2017 in Brazil) and ... And it's too ugly !!! And it remains horrible like 99% of DC Rebirth's stuff.
    Just to talk about the model, without touching on the issue of concept art inspiration: The face is strange and ugly, Dinah is beautiful! Just like Diana, but the faces here are bad, sorry, I know there is a job here, I do not want to offend the technical team that made the 3D models, but Wonder Woman and this Black Canary are ugly with faces, hair , disproportionate and strange eyes and mouths.
    Now that I have clarified that, in my opinion, the arts are ugly and strange and they are not even cute, and they are far from being beautiful, let's go to the concept:
    When they say Black Canary in comic books I think:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

This is the classic look and the uniform that has become emblematic and brings with it the whole story and helped in the definition and establishment of the character, it was this look that made it known in HQ's and in the already legendary Justice League animations, including in Birds of Prey DLC and the image used for the Black Canary in the next DLC of this game was this:

[IMG]

I believe that all fans expected something like this, a retexturization of the classic Canary, but they decided to bring a weird look, which has just over 1 year of release and which is ugly, I'm sorry, but it didn't work.
    I will rush to find Canary in Gotham and wherever else she appears in the game to make the last prints with the character still well represented and with a beautiful look, at least, much better than this one.
    Sorry if my opinion bothers any of you, I want to make it clear that it is not my intention to offend anyone or create a problem, just to expose my points of view.
    Thanks.
    • Like x 2
  11. Blazing Bacon Well-Known Player

Dude, this is WAY better than the last remodel of BC, which had no waist.[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  12. Zneeak Devoted Player

While you are trying to talk for "everyone", almost everyone else in here seem to really like the updated Rebirth-look, lol. The Canary-version they went with is actually really good looking, and is without a doubt looking like Canary, unlike what you tried to state. Again, just because YOU don't happen to like this version of Canary, doesn't mean that this isn't still Canary.
    • Like x 1
  13. Phoenix Five Active Player

This model is probably better than anything that I ever did.
    The eye make up is a bit too strong in my opinion. A line on the under eyelid would suffice. I've tried to Adobe Photoshop this.

Result:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/q4DyXDmzvu4K6G1aA (Different eye make up.)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/PmL5HQPVsMh9SCfTA (Added a mask.)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GytjD5i4E9TPpcTy6 (Different hair & different eye make up.)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jh73HfpfxCEAV4Dz9 (Different hair.)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SqKk6hf84Akk1cHo9 (Different hair & added mask.)

Wearing a mask isn't really how she looks in the comic book with that particular outfit but then I see "The" Canary.
    She sort of reminds me of Katie Cassidy from the Arrow TV series.

(Also could someone verify if the album of these edits could be viewed?) ^^
    Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3s4pf4mf6Y1tZeZw9
  14. Gundraasi Well-Known Player

Caity Lotz :) and yes...very alike.
    • Like x 1
  15. Eve YouTuber

Don't speak for anyone but yourself though. If you look at all comments you will see people praising the new model. I do not see why you have to call it ugly and trash it so badly. They been going with Rebirth route for a while now. Guess the Devs can't make everyone happy, but reading comments like this is just insulting to the Dev who made these models. I don't even find it constructive, but that's just me.
    • Like x 1
  16. UnbreakableII Well-Known Player

Yes, she have a waist, lol, just because you took a print from a bad angle, trying to confuse the jacket with the rest of the model because the colors are black in the whole set does not mean that the old model is different from other female models.
    A retexture of it would be much better, as it would refer to the classic. So, my opinion doesn't change.

But I am not trying or intending or implying or even saying that I was representing everyone, at any time, you who are finding this, except I don't know based on what.
    My opinion, and I made it very clear, MY OPINION is that the classic look is what should be revised, this is ugly, whether you like it or not, for me it will remain ugly, as well as the face of Wonder Woman, it is ugly, a lot, I didn't say that I represented anyone, but I came to the forum and expressed my opinion, you don't agree with it, ok for me, but I'm not going to change because you say I did what I didn't do, it's ugly.

Well, I disagree with you, this is a forum and the devs expect a return from the community, if I think differently from the majority who post here, it does not mean that I should be silent and not opine, on the contrary, contrary thoughts must be expressed, the devs must know that there are opinions contrary to the direction that is being followed, however I did not offend anyone, just you were offended because I said that what I consider ugly was ugly, well, it’s not good, I disapproved of the whole set, and in this forum, I will continue talking about what I disapprove of.
    I emphasize that I'm not here to offend devs or any graphic artist, but the choice of a new look over the classic is a mistake, and the model's face remains ugly, at least strange. I'm sorry YOU were offended that I didn't like it.
  17. Fritz Fantom New Player

The new model is absolutely gorgeous.
    However, the untied shoelaces really trigger my OCD. :eek:
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

It's a terrible idea to confuse one's own desires with what other people think.

There's literally zero evidence as to what "all fans" think of anything. Anything. Anything at all.

Unless you have telepathy and can access the minds of every single fan of DC Comics who knows Black Canary in one version or another, there is no possible way you could tell what even 10% of all fans in the world of Black Canary think, let alone 20% or 30% or 50%.

Thinking otherwise is literally delusional. It's kinda of a bad thing to walk around being delusional and confusing reality and your own fantasies, so I'd look into checking out how to be in contact with reality. Best of luck there.
    • Like x 3
  19. Stardazer Committed Player

Okay great, we all get it you find the new model "ugly" and not to your preference. You put in your opinion and I'm sure the devs just rolled their eyes and moved on past your comment. There's no need to make multiple posts criticizing it, I'm almost certain they're not going to make a change just for you.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and allowed to voice it, but a constantly disparaging something people put their passion and work into is getting tedious.

I'm glad the overall acknowledgement of the new model has been positive. It's definitely refreshing from the dated model we had before.
    • Like x 2
  20. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

You wrote:
    Of course you did. You wrote:
    Why lie about what you just wrote that we can all still read? It's right there in print. Even if you can't keep track of what you're writing from one minute to the next, the rest of us aren't so handicapped. You claimed "that all fans expected something like this" and then immediately said you were "not trying or intending or implying or even saying that I was representing everyone," which is flatly untrue. Flatly. Untrue.
    • Like x 2