Vile Community Chat

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ConcernedGamer, Mar 17, 2020.

1. ConcernedGamer New Player

The Community Chat window is a disgrace. Whether I'm in Metropolis, Gotham or the Watchtower, as soon as I land, the first thing I see is an ad for some VGOLD website intermingled with people spewing obscenities spaced out so that it isn't caught by whatever system is poorly designed to catch hatespeech. My IGNORE list must be about to burst. I have witnessed countless obscene discussions devolve into whom is going to do what act and who will be on whose knees. Just yesterday, I was appalled when someone asked if anyone spoke Japanese, and dozens of people jumped into the conversation to racially bash the entire Asian community. At other times, the number of epithets thrown out against African Americans has been utterly shocking.

Before you suggest that I report these people, I am well aware of the reporting method and have done so, only to discover that the reporting process from PS4 requires that I immediately log into the DCUO help website to complete my report, only to receive an error message that the login cannot be completed at this time, which is an absurdly ludicrous multi-step failure of a methodology. If I were to take a screenshot of the vile content, it would be shared with my Playstation account and then I would be in violation of Playstation's code of conduct by sharing that. And, since the world in which we play is shared between PC and PS4 players, there is no way for PS4 players to determine if the offender is a PC player or PS4 player, even though in the PC world, it allows PC players that level of visibility. And it can be construed that most of the perpetrators are PC accounts, since wasting time textually from a console controller is tedious.

The absolute lack of moderation and the hoops through which a player is required to jump in order to report someone who violates the terms of conduct is indicative of a system wherein the developers are complicit in fostering a hate environment that is unsafe for children and that caters to those who are emotionally abusive and verbally aggressive. I call on the Developers to take responsibility for the hateful environment they are fostering and enabling with a lazy non-committal approach to the chat window.

The game is beautiful, but the chat window is a criminally dysfunctional disgrace. Shame on you for allowing it to continue the way that it has!
    • Like x 12
  2. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

I agree with you. The method to file a report for this game is:

1) not obvious enough to the average player
    2) very complicated
    3) and often requires multiple attempts to successfully go through, which results in players giving up on their attempt to file a complaint due to pure frustration.

Personally, I think it's done this way on purpose to discourage people from filing reports for "ever little thing". They most likely feel that if it's worth you going through such trouble to successfully file a report, then it's worth it for them to take a look at it.

However, I disagree.

Recently there was a situation on the Nintendo Switch, US server where a player was sexually harassing all players using female toons in the game. He would basically send endless private messages asking to "do the nasty" or talk about his "man parts". And although players could ignoring his messages, they still had to put up with him not leaving their side or following them around endlessly in open world areas.

Although there were some of us who reported this player immediately, the majority of players who were on the receiving end of this form of harassment, did not. Why? When asked, many replied simply with, "I want to , but I don't know how to do that." or "Where do I go to do that? Where in the menu is that option?" And before people reading this come up with some snide remark about the intelligence of some players, keep in mind that there are people of all ages who play this game. Although many are adults, there are a lot of kids playing as well. And for many of them, it's just about getting in the game to play, they don't necessarily think about the forums, discords or website.

Therefore I think the Dev team needs to consider that when implementing the various methods players can use to leave comments, give feedback or file complaints that make our gaming community a better, safer place for ALL the players.

Just my two cents.
    • Like x 3
  3. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Might I recommend turning off shout and trade chat if you don't plan on using them. Outside of that, there's nothing really that can be done about it. The game hasn't had GM's in years.
    • Like x 2
  4. zZzTorrOzZz Committed Player

I have a small hideout base. R&D station, bank, mail, broker.

Thanagar currently so I warp there do the dailies, duo, alert.

Raids once a week I don't do replays almost never so no real need for lfg unless feat hunting.

Sit in base listen to some tunes or go to league and do decor.

The point is it's easy to ignore the open world city's and watchtower.

Stay focused, play your game, ignore chat in those areas.
    • Like x 1
  5. Psyfur Well-Known Player

I commend your heart. Unfortunately, most of the replies you will get will not call for the devs to take action, but instead, call for you to turn the other cheek. And that’s worse.
    • Like x 1
  6. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

a wise old queen one told me "people are sh!ts darling".
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Once upon a time, the reporting process was easier.

Then folks started abusing/misusing the system and effectively sending mods on wild goose chases. So they changed it so that you have to go through all the steps to make sure it IS an actual problem and not just a "someone looked at me cross-eyed and I don't like it" situation.

Doesn't help that layoffs have hit the company over the years, most likely adding to the workload that moderators/CS agents have to deal with.
    • Like x 1
  8. tehDarkNite Well-Known Player

I agree with the opening post - very well written
  9. Darth Piper Loyal Player

I do what I can when I can... but most of the time I am either in my base or somewhere that doesn't see a lot of the smack talk. I only go to those places (HQ, Gotham, Metropolis) when necessary and then I primarily ignore the shout box.

That said, the issue with reporting people is the font choice in the shout box. Capital I and lower-case L look too much alike and can easily be mistaken for each other when attempting to report a person. This is something that only the devs can fix for us, mostly by choosing a different font face that actually makes those two and the pipe character |, as well as capital O and 0 (zero) easily distinguishable.
  10. Brother Allen Loyal Player

DCUO is saturated with children and immature adults. Has been since the beginning. Just put Trade and LFG on a separate tab and turn off Shout on all tabs. I did this many years ago and it makes for a far more pleasant experience in-game. Anyone I need or want to speak with can be done via Tells/League/Group chat.
    • Like x 1
  11. Walvine Well-Known Player

You can tell which platform players are on with out inspect on ps4 just use "near by" d-pad option all in all non psn ids have (pc) prefix , Unfortunately every corner of the world has biased manority so dicipling some one for their comon predudice is a double ended sword that esculates the hate only way to stop it is talking kind back and derail them with geek facts , dcuo censorship filter I think only blocks north American slang , Dcuo isn't a game for children you can play as the outlaw gangster and the vigilante enforcer so the street smack talk is no surprise or shock to MMO of this type.
    Best option is to either switch out of default or remove shout from default chat channal in settings ,This will stop gold selling bots spam being seen completely and reduce ignore list in main areas atleast.
    Its pointless adding gold bot to ignore list it changes id like 4 or more times a day About only people I add into ignore are ones that deliberatly disrupt and sabotage group content.
  12. Chia Death Well-Known Player

I would be shocked to learn if this ever actually works- seems like a pretty milktoast way to try and handle things.
  13. Controller Devoted Player

As the late great Mahatma Ghandi once said

[IMG]

DCUO is my video game ocean..has been since 2013.
    • Like x 1
  14. Walvine Well-Known Player

100% success rate sofare they get so confused waiting for an insult back ,Their agender is to make you mad and only way they know your mad is by what you tell them in response if you stick to polite and geeky responses they can not read your temperament and just end up saying they bored and go silent or just revert to spamming emotes because they completley run out of insults and feel all sad and will avoid you in future because they realised your bubble wrap is actually made of chainmail carbon alloy.
  15. High Troller Loyal Player

The reporting process as you know can be frustrating. Feel free to refer to my easy guide to follow at the bottom of my signature. Also, placing others on ignore and shutting off chat will help you avoid the chatter.