QOL: A little consistency please.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Aren Sul, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Aren Sul Committed Player

This game could definitely benefit from both a once-over review and a set of UI standards that developers need to follow. Just a few of my least favorite things:
    • Opening loot on my controllers. Sometimes dps is the top choice, sometimes, not.
    • Leaving an instance. Sometimes you get a portal back to where you were last, sometimes you have to leave the group mission because the portal will take you to the bowels of the Watchtower/Hall of Doom.
    • Turning a mission in (I can forgive original stuff, but even the newest episodes). Sometimes you go to your journal, sometimes back to the npc that gave you the mission. In the case of Onimar Synn, you have to do both (seriously, what's that all about?)
    Apart from occasionally selecting the wrong troller loot because I'm distracted and on automatic, these are not major things. But, after many, many years, it does get a taaaaad bit irritating.
    Thank you.
    • Like x 4
  2. Rainnifer Committed Player

They've even been inconsistent with the quality of some styles, and the way accessories are colored. The accessory slot has a whole color-choice section, and they barely use that and instead most accessories go by certain colors in certain slots of your main color choices. Gets slightly annoying having to move colors around on everything just so I can get an accessory the right color.
    • Like x 2
  3. Brit Loyal Player

There are names that players have on PC that are considered "Invalid" on Switch. Not "Name Already Taken" where it's in use, but "Invalid" as in the name is blocked. The list of banned words is not the same from platform to platform.
    • Like x 1
  4. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

Yup, each one of the things you've mentioned has caused me to raise an eyebrow at one time or another.
    • Like x 1
  5. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

That sounds like a Nintendo thing- they're the only company more uppity about what goes on their consoles than Sony.
  6. Brit Loyal Player

PC and Switch are the only two platforms I've used. I just found it odd that the name Amazing Amazon was acceptable for PC, but not for Switch. It's not obscene or risque. It's just fairly generic to be banned for no real reason.
  7. Balton hero Committed Player

They're afraid your character is going to start delivering packages on his patrols to make ends meet and give Amazon.com a bad name.
    • Like x 1
  8. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Lol I took the Onimar Syn mission redundancy as Thanagarian red tape. The Thanagarians are very serious about their missions so they make sure their scouts and soldiers have to tap twice to confirm (and send several emails to make sure every objective is done). How else do you think the Seven Devils cult infiltrated the Thanagar military? The memo about the invasion it hadn't been stamped three times by Administration obviously.
    • Like x 1
  9. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

A Wonder Woman inspired character, I assume?
  10. Brit Loyal Player

Nah. Different concept. It's inspired by an old comedy comic strip from 20ish years ago about some goofball style superheroes sort of in the flavor of The Tick.

In any case though, for a DC game where Wonder Woman exists and we have at least 8 different style suits dedicated to making us look like Amazons, it seems a little silly to ban the word "Amazon". That's almost as silly as banning the word "Man" because you don't want people making Superman lookalikes.
    • Like x 3
  11. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

Facts.
    • Like x 1
  12. nawanda Loyal Player

I think that there must be different teams who work on different assets in the game and a few things have not been standardised.

Examples -
    - Rewards on vendors, when these come out it is anybody’s guess whether they will be tradeable, account bound or character locked
    - Icons for boxes and packs - the Neon Chroma Reward Pack has a standard material icon, but you open it and then must choose one group of items or another. The metallic chroma reward box functions in the same way, but it’s icon is more logically a box
    - The random powers from each set that have a leg white mod associated with them, many of which are not great powers to use, meaning some powersets get returned power or shorter cooldowns and others don’t, but the stats revamp was supposed to be about choice

There are others but these are three inconsistencies that have leapt out at me recently.
    • Like x 2
  13. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

There were many improvements from 2017 to 2020!
    Mainly that it was stopped it manages to notice more in all the changes and improvements!
    However, it is obvious that there will always be things to be done!
    I myself have things that I always ask for.
    Some may come, others may never come ... it's normal ..:)
    • Like x 1
  14. Rainnifer Committed Player

Adding to your point about Icons, I've also noticed many style icons not matching what the style is, such as a Cape icon for something that's more like a jetpack and vice versa. I believe there are similar cases for base items too. If it were me working on this my OCD would certainly not let any of this pass :D
    • Like x 2
  15. Darth Piper Loyal Player

That is a huge issue... it seems like in some of the older content they did it by saying "Damage Role First, Other Role Second"... the last couple of DLCs have been alphabetical ("Controller" > "Damage", "Damage" > "Healer", and "Damage" > "Tank"). This inconsistency needs to be fixed, and ideally it would revert to the former scheme. It's really difficult when you have multiple characters because depending on the power set you will have to remember which one is on top.

This is actually consistent... the key factor is whether you are in an "operation" or not... and the way to tell that? Did you start in one location and then have to teleport to another in order to finish the mission? Let's look at the current DLC:
    1. The Duo, "Batscape," starts in the Oblivion Bar... you then teleport into Batman's mind... first in the Batcave and then later into the theater. OK, so this is an operation and you exit via the on-duty menu.
    2. The Alert, "Damage Control," starts on Oa in the Sciencells and then has you teleport to the Silent School. That makes this an operation and you exit via the on-duty menu
    3. The Raid, "The Phoenix Cannon," starts in the Phoenix Cannon bunker and stays there. That means this is not an operation, so you exit via the teleport at the end.
    4. The Raid, "Into the Dark Multiverse," starts in the Dark Multiverse and remains anchored there in spite of 4 people having to go to a pocket universe. This is not an operation so you exit via the teleport at the end.
    Now, if you want to think about how you move around in the Silent School ("teleporting" from room to room), you're still in the same general location... The Silent School.
    Yeah, this one can be a pain... especially when you look at the new Onimarr Synn mission... you have to go back to the scout... and then you still have to go into the journal to actually claim your rewards. It behaves like you have a full inventory rather than just completing the way the Nth Metal Golem one does when you talk with Martian Manhunter.
    • Like x 1
  16. Aren Sul Committed Player

Thanks for the breakdown on operation/mission. I can see it now. :)

However, I still wish it was one behavior - even if it's to treat them all like operations.

For instance, the first time I did the solo mission in Deluge (and teleported to the second half - which with your description, I can see now how it's a solo operation), I was mystified for a while as to how to get back to my original location until I left the mission. If I recall correctly, I don't think you get a message at the end to leave the mission, like you do for the group ones.

But at least I understand that difference now.