DCUO on Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lionxoft, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Lionxoft Committed Player

What's being done to grow the playerbase?
  2. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

We're dying. It's sad when you compare the number of players that were on in August versus now.

I honestly don't think there is any sort of strategy to develop the playerbase for a new platform. I'm guessing it's just "dump everything on them at one time and push them to get to end game content ASAP so they are caught up with everyone else."
  3. Lionxoft Committed Player

It's crazy that the game died so fast within 6 months.
  4. Brit Loyal Player

My assumption was, with the whole Time Capsule contents not-tradable across platform, they are trying to cement separate economies on a single server. If they can be successful in that, so that PC and PS4 money and items are kind of in their own little bubble, but the extra players are still there to group with, then it will be easier to merge in something like the Nintendo Switch without instantly crippling the playerbase by throwing them into this bloated, insane USPCPS economy.

I thoroughly believe the goal is not to grow the Switch into a strong server on it's own; just to merge it eventually with other platforms. I believe that so much that I created a Switch account and leveled multiple characters to the endgame (plus maintain a subscription there) just to reserve names that I would want to free up from their PC squatters in the event of an eventual merger.
  5. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

Yeah... I noticed the drop off around the middle of Metal 1. The thing is, there are new players constantly trying out the game. I see them when I pop into Police Stations or roam around open world where early missions take place. But it doesn't seem like many stick around for too long.
  6. Aspirit Active Player

This is what happens to the ps and pc servers as well. New players try the game and less than 5% stick to it. Most that stay and continue playing until they reach 30 and fewer will go up to the pay to progress wall and quit. The game will make you spend for everything, those who decide to stay would have spent $60 in a heartbeat and don’t feel it. You will only notice it that you suddenly have sunk hundreds when you approach end game as a new player.
    The reason is the aggressive micro transactions the game has turned into a giant money grab.

If I were a new player trying out this mmo I wouldn’t stick around either. No one likes a mmo like this.
  7. BumblingB I got better.

I can see this being a big problem for players that don't want to or can't subscribe.

Startup cost to get everything DLC related to be comfortable is: (Numbers are from steam, don't know if different on other platforms.)
    Ultimate Bundle: $79.99
    Episode Pack 4: $39.99
    Episodes 27-36: $89.90
    Total: $209.88

That's a chunk of change.

This is the reason why the free content and events are at least something that helps you not have to buy all that is in the middle.
    • Like x 3
  8. spack2k Steadfast Player

I would say ppl who cant afford to pay for a subscription have bigger problems and shouldnt waste time complaining about the game in that regard since the subscription contains almost everything the game has to offer (=with the exception of seals) and those who dont want to pay a minimum for a subscription are just selfish since they want ppl to work for free for them.
    • Like x 2
  9. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Agreed, it’s makes me wonder how war frame does it, they’re continuously growing, yet has a literal free to play model. You don’t have to pay for a thing, except cosmetics
  10. Wallachia Devoted Player

I keep saying that the subscription model hinders this game's growth quite a lot but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, working with the game industry since 2007 means nothing to the average internet fanboy. "PeOpLe ArE bEiNg SeLfIsH"

People will NOT pay Nintendo Online Subscription AND Daybreak Subscription. The very few that do will not admit to have even further things to play for like the Time Capsules. A full experience requires a person to like this game so much to go over THREE paywalls. This will just not happen. Warframe is continuously growing because they do NOT charge subscription and their microtransactions are either too low or of items that are not required.

The answer is right there, presenting itself with the facts. This triple paywall for a full game is not working. If it was, the players wouldn't notice how fast the game died in Switch on the last 6 months while Warframe grew.
    • Like x 4
  11. BumblingB I got better.

I would agree with you, but I know a lot of people that aren't able to do a recurring subscription. Sometimes money related, sometimes the inability to pay for it w/o a card, etc.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm saying that the people whom you are thinking about are the vocal minority. Most of the people that can't do a recurring subscription just leave. It's no skin off the devs back, since they didn't sink in the $15/mon, but a lot do go premium so they got something out of it.

This used to be a lot easier when you could buy subscriptions with the SOE gift cards. Le Sigh~~
  12. Aspirit Active Player

When it comes to pure game engines, Warframe’s better.
    Dcuo uses unreal engine 3 and the game hasn’t had any major graphics engine update at all.
    When the ps3 was around, they were saying the ps3’s hardware was the limiter, what’s the limiter now?
    The game has been out since 2011 commercially and in development for a few years before that.

Now when it comes down to everything else, as stated the problem are the pay walls.
    Let’s say a new dcuo with an updated game engine comes out next year, imagine how many more pay walls it would have.

I have been absolutely expecting nothing to come out of this game since 2015 now. I get to smile from time to time with all the new ways to grab money out of this relic of a game.
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If you're talking in terms of platforms, it's probably the Switch. Of all the platforms for the game it's the one that isn't a graphics powerhouse, and since the devs have seemed to be determined to give all players across all platforms the same experience that will most likely be the determining factor.

As for graphics engine updates, most people keep talking about going up to the next Unreal engine. Thing is, it's been pointed out on more than one occasion that going to that engine would mean having to essentially re-do the game. That's not something I'd imagine as being cheap, quick or easy and I can't imagine going to another engine other than Unreal would be any easier.
  14. BumblingB I got better.

Oh trust me, the PS3 WAS holding back expanding of the game. Not in the sense of game expansions, but newer stuff and what not. It's part of the reason why animation normalization happened, which resulted in a lot of unique power and weapon interactions to go bye bye.

What's holding back actual change now is probably a build up of a lot of other corporate choices.
    The new UI went bye bye because of the SOE to Daybreak change. Because the guy that was pushing for it was laid off. They never recovered from there, so Carp had to make everything new work into the older UI.
    New powers, weapons, and movement variants are costly. They take so much time and development that I'm not sure what to say about it. We've had dry spells with these things before, but they aren't even on the radar.
    PvP development I don't think any of the original developers are even around and the new team is like... Anyone got a 10' pole? No? well not gonna touch it anyways.

On the other hand, warframe has the ability to grow since it's been the same team throughout. No changing corporate hands. And their game business model is great. If you don't want to pay, you don't have to. You can even buy platinum from other players if you really wanted to. The downside to warframe, it isn't an MMO. It's mostly a 4man instanced based that runs on one of the clients as host. Which can result in a lot of lag. Their open world part is new and has potential, but they would need to overhaul it.

We now have the dimensional ink thing... Which even jackster said that he was thinking about overhauling or replacing the Unreal 3 engine. So... Dunno what is in store for this game. It would be nice if we got more clarity, but like all things, the more they tell us, the more the community uses it against them. So they shut up.
    • Like x 1
  15. Jason Martin Dedicated Player

The Unreal Engine 3 is way better than Warframe's engine.

Warframe engines was made by DE themselves, but it full of bugs (some fun, some gamebreaking bugs, but still full of bugs)

UE3 is still a fully fledged engine for games, while Evolution Engine is a alpha game engine.
  16. Solarbound Committed Player

Time to revamp the business model, DEVS:rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  17. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Cause free to play players and whales can co exist in warframe. Ppl are not going to pay for microtransaction and subscription like DCUO. It boggle my mind DCUO players don't get this.

DCUO subscribers don't want free players to have the same benefits as them, which makes them join Warframe.

In warframe free to play player can do just as much as whales they can trade with each other and have unlimited cash, with platinum it's a even playing field.

Put it this way. So called cheap ppl who wan't DCUO become free, actually give thousand of dollars to warframe cause they don't feel nickle and dimed.

To put it simply put . Subscribers aren't willing to change their thinking process which means you won't have as many ppl to play with you guys cause they have to play by you guys rules.

You guys got what you wanted out of DCUO and the ppl who didn't agree with you guys left.

The so called cheap ppl can actually save money and make a big purchase in free 2 play games.

So congratulation to all the subscribers who told premium and free to play players to go play another game if they don't like DCUO rules they actually listen to you guys and did just that.

Congrats to DCUO player base who laugh at ppl who made a heart felt why I quit post, You got what you wanted
    • Like x 1
  18. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Railjack will be a raid soon so get ready for that. I love Warframe but they have to fix some bugs in Eidolon and railjack, I love both those modes but they have to fix that.

I hope the link sysem works when it 1st come out as well. My railjack is already ready for the new war. All MK3 weapons and my Intrinsics is 10,9,9,9,8
  19. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

This exactly this.

It's the main reason I won't ever get this game on my xbox.

It's $15 on-top of any additional funds you need to play. Meanwhile PS4/PC are completely free to play.
  20. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

this game not being a complete free to play model is definitely not the reason why people have left the game lol, it’s been the exact opposite actually. that’s just what you want to believe because you want the game to be free