Prec vs might dps

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by IdkWhatToNameMyself, Feb 3, 2020.

1. IdkWhatToNameMyself New Player

Not trying to start anything & I know this comes up a ton, but just wondering if any changes are coming to the two dps play styles. I don’t want to see Prec nerfed, in fact I hate the word nerfed. But when dang near everyone is Prec there should be concern. Can might get buffed instead? Having a hard time getting picked up for elite raids because Im might based. I know join a league or make your own group bla blahhh lol. But when you see “need Prec dps for pce “ that shouldn’t be a thing. What y’all think n keep it friendly!
    • Like x 2
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Weapon combos and the Venom Wrist Dispenser just got readjusted (nerfed) last year. I seriously doubt they will revisit anything to do with Precision for a long while. The only reason players want Prec DPS for elite runs is because DW/Bow is still King of single target damage. Also the majority of Precision players will have a rank 200 VWD that was mostly autogranted to them.
    • Like x 3
  3. AV Loyal Player

When you see "need prec dps" for anything, you should be thankful that person is advertising that they probably don't know what they're doing and saving you the trouble of running with them. Might can keep up with or beat prec just fine in Elite and there's only like... one power that loses a small but noteworthy amount of ST damage in a "boss mixed with adds" scenario, which is in itself mostly trivial because most of those scenarios want to see the adds splashed down anyways and it can still adapt to clean non-split just fine if it had to.
    • Like x 3
  4. Magnificent Loyal Player

I'm Might based (Fire) and routinely outdamage most players I PUG with. Anyone demanding Precision-only DPS for their group usually has either never run with a good Might-based build or is trying to overdo the DPS to compensate for something else that's lacking in the group (the ability to react to tells, understanding a given mechanic, etc).
    • Like x 2
  5. AV Loyal Player

Exactly. The only thing worse is someone asking what your power is, regardless of role. If someone doesn't know the game well enough to know that doesn't matter in the slightest than they aren't someone I wanna be running elite with.
    • Like x 2
  6. Illumin411 Loyal Player

They just buffed all the finishers which should help might single target loadouts. I know geiger beam's new buffed damage made a big improvement in my atomic toon's ST loadout I've been wondering if a lot of people aren't aware of finisher buffs, both in terms of might DPSers now using them and the community in general respecting some powers' ST capabilities at least a little more.
    • Like x 2
  7. ALB Dedicated Player

8. AV Loyal Player

Ironically, this is also why Rage's ranged ST is the only one that markedly lags behind now vs the training dummy since E Chain is melee (and a ~30% longer CD and has to be combo'd for the same damage as other finishers /gg...). The rly shoulda buffed its horribly underperforming ranged attacks a tad cuz they are mostly atrocious. Contrary to public opinion, Rage might is not in a good place beyond clearing trash adds and if it wasn't for Berserk it'd be poo.
  9. gemii Dedicated Player

They should do a might balance like they did with weapons + relook into the weapons and buff or nerf whats necessary Within the play style
  10. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

When u can do 74mil aoe and 40mil single in pcr with doomspin in 27mins u got a very big balance problem. But I don't think the answer is nerfing or fixing anymore. Ì think everyone is understanding now that it's impossible to have balance. So starting new with dcuo 2 is the only way. And yes u can pull this off in elite
  11. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Yeah, not every power saw a large benefit from the finisher buffs. But at least it's a step in the right direction towards changing the general attitude that all might DPS is subpar when ST burn is needed.
    • Like x 2
  12. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Weapons got balanced?
  13. Ryazan Dedicated Player

What balance? I still only see DW Bow. :confused:
    • Like x 2
  14. Darth Piper Loyal Player

What you are seeing is the unintended consequences of the introduction of artifacts. Several of these artifacts were designed with specific powers in mind and meant to be a band-aid to fix things without having to dig into the code to figure out what's wrong... except that other powers can use those artifacts too and are seeing even better results than the ones they intended to correct.

The concept is a great idea... the implementation, however, tends to funnel people down a very limited set of play styles and that goes against the whole concept of what came out with GU73 (aka "stats matter"). Under AM we had "the one true loadout." Well, we sure seem to be back to that.
  15. AV Loyal Player

I somewhat agree but it's a bit of both worlds. There's a spectrum of mebbe 4-5+ different "flavours" of might loadout, which is still waaaay better than what prec has to work with and even within those flavours, each power does still have it's own quirks and nuances that still make each feel unique and special to me. We could do far worse. Optimal might ST atm is about as diverse as optimal LPVE rotations are, which is decent and feels acceptably healthy to me. I can understand it's frustrating for some players to feel pigeonholed into having to play things certain ways but that's kinda just the nature of the beast in an MMO or comparable board/card/video game.

For Might, stats do matter far more than they do for Prec. Since prec has weapon dps and precision stat it's less affected by precision stat tradeoffs with artifacts whereas there's a pretty noticeable difference between my almost 80k might vs someone whose artifacts are holding their might back dramatically.

It should be noted that for most games it's common to get funneled into a handful of limited playstyles, even for TCGs like MTG. It's just the nature of min:max evolution in general, especially at high levels of play where evaluation of any given tool in our kit becomes increasingly black and white. Beyond a fixed baseline of diversity, differences tend to be nuanced and utilitarian.

Prec really is overall far worse off than might though.
    They really should fix and balance it so that it's acceptably safe for prec DPS to melee most things, even in elite. 100% ranged is a lil asinine... most games have balanced melee classes that can stay in the fight the whole time where DCUO has "have fun getting insta-clapped and enjoy the arbitrary 1 KO limit." Would love to see some proper diversity.
    • Like x 2
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Yes and no.
    • Like x 2
  17. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Except that I watched someone wearing a mix of healer and DPS gear with healer tactical mods and unleveled DPS artifacts come out of a raid as top DPS just by doing, "L2-Square, tap Triangle, hold Triangle" (weapon buff followed by a weapon mastery... not even a cross-weapon combo)... weapon in question? Dual wield. His comments? Precision DPS is broken. The other DPSes had appropriate gear, mods, and artifacts, and are not slouches when it comes to damage output. Given the way things are supposed to work, this should not be happening.
    • Like x 1
  18. AV Loyal Player

Well, yeah (to a degree, if people are doing optimal rotations that shouldn't be beating anyone naked). Melee in elite is currently high risk high reward and DW tap hold is extremely fast (faster even if you stand on the target's head) and hits extremely hard. Part of the balance if they were to make melee more commonplace would be they'd have to buff might stats (they couldn't lower melee combo dmg without serious rebalancing across the board as it'd completely pwn Legends). I feel it'd be healthier if melee options were more viable but also balanced with ranged options for both prec and might.
  19. ALB Dedicated Player

What kind of gear did the other dps have and what kind of dps were they? I just can't believe a prec dps with un-leveled artifacts, some healer pieces, and healer mods beat competent dps that had leveled artifacts, dps tactical mods, and full dps gear
    • Like x 2
  20. GoDeacs Well-Known Player

Most might powers can actually keep up and surpass prec. In fact, I do think that with gemini spam might is actually stronger than prec given that both prec and might players are equally skilled. Not all powers can or will beat prec but light, gadgets, nature, fire, celestial and maybe muni can. Other might powers need a buff