Letter from Dimensional Ink CEO Jack Emmert

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ApocalypticMan New Player

Any word on DCUO and the upcoming ps5 ?
    • Like x 1
  2. Magnificent Loyal Player

Demanding the removal of TC's and microtransactions without suggesting alternatives on how to keep the lights on is not just useless in its short-sightedness but it also comes across as lazy and whining. You can recognize that TC's and microtransactions suck while also acknowledging that they are a necessary evil until something better comes along. To just toss out "I'm not coming back until they stop it" is productive only in stroking one's own ego. It's not difficult at all to come up with something like "increase subscription benefits to attract more subscribers," at least it's not difficult for people who actually care about the game enough to take the time to think on it.

Furthermore, the person I was responding to (as evidenced in my quote) was wanting the game to be completely free. Nothing on the level of this game is completely free, people need to get over this misconception that they deserve something for nothing.
  3. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Then don't. I have a subscription, and I don't pay for microtransactions. I have a couple of characters at end game, and I still enjoy playing. It is possible.
    • Like x 2
  4. RokVar Active Player

Wow, this says a lot about the respect you have for your cohorts in Austin. You have a great team, and it's good to see them recognized.
  5. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Very true. And as long players like you have this mindset, this game will not grow. And if you don't have a problem for the game to grow that's ok with me 2.
    I don't want it can be possible to enjoy the game, I want to enjoy it with out trying to enjoy it
  6. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Remove subscription. That what I mean by It need to be free to play
  7. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Sorry, not possible to enjoy it without putting some effort in. Unless you're one of those players who likes just standing around Little Bohemia all day doing nothing.
  8. Solarbound Committed Player

I like how you completely cut off my alternative. Like I said, not our job. They should be intuitive enough on their own to come forth with real solutions, as we've voiced ourselves enough as it is.
  9. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Yea ur not understanding my man. Enjoying a game should be effortless. I think your over thinking to argue. If you think me not doing anything in the game means effortless enjoyment then there no sense of us having a discussion.
  10. Magnificent Loyal Player

Thanks for the clarification. [IMG]

So your idea would be to sell things like chromas, materials and styles? I don't think pure cosmetics would generate enough revenue to keep the game running. Would there be extras? Like Nth Metals or movement speed increases?

I wouldn't mind seeing various styles for sale in the Store, but would want them to remain as drops in content as well (that way people who want a style but not the content can get the style). With that said though it wouldn't shock me if they sold an entire style for $3-$4 and kept the Elite versions strictly to the content (if they ever went that way).

I go in the other direction though. I would rather see them make subscribing more attractive.

1. Double the monthly SC
    2. 25% discount on all Store items (on top of sale prices)
    3. Early access to new content (this used to happen, for a good while we got the new content a week before non-subbers).
    4. 25% cut to the amount of Replays needed for any replay.
    5. Faster Renown accrual.
    6. Prom boxes drop 1 of all current currencies
    7. 1/2 cost to open TC's.
    8. Automatic max inventory and bank slots as long as subscription is active.

DLCs and game changes are the most work-intensive aspects and they are also what brings people back day after day (it certainly isn't the PVP :( ). As such I can't see making them free as being a good business move as I don't see Store transactions increasing to cover that expense.

Of course I could be wrong but all of that is data they guard like jealous lovers.
    • Like x 1
  11. Aqua Surge Loyal Player

I agree with you and allow us console players to buy a lifetime subscription so I can play the game whenever I want while only worrying about buying supplies and upgrades for future content.
  12. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

See, for me enjoyment is a natural result of playing the game (which means putting some effort in - ie: playing the game). So, no, I guess I just don't understand why anybody would need to try to enjoy it on top of the effort of playing it. If you need to try to enjoy it, then maybe it's time to go somewhere else for your enjoyment.
  13. Magnificent Loyal Player

The context I was responding to was your defense of the person I quoted for complaining but not offering alternatives. Your offer of an alternative was superfluous to that so of course I cut it off.
  14. Magnificent Loyal Player

I wouldn't mind seeing lifetimes come around again but I can't help but wonder if their short-term gain of revenue isn't really a long-term loss. I would love to see a breakdown of how many lifetime accounts are still active (played for an hour or more within the last month) versus inactive accounts and then also one measured by when those accounts were purchased (to see who has gotten their money's worth, more than their money's worth and less than that).

I don't think anyone expected them to come around again just over a year ago so who knows, it may happen again someday.
    • Like x 1
  15. Solarbound Committed Player

Interesting, because what I offered was the simplest solution. And, sometimes the answers really are that simple. This stuff isn't rocket science, man.
  16. Magnificent Loyal Player

It was simple, maybe too simple? What are the things people want most? DLCs? Styles? Base items? Mats? Chromas? Fluffy dragons? Bacon?

What you gave was a high-level response to something that needs at least a little granularity.

[IMG]
  17. Solarbound Committed Player

You're asking questions for answers you know already. I like this condescending attitude of yours by the way. It's nice, haha.
  18. Magnificent Loyal Player

I'm not being condescending, I'm being direct. I can only guess at why you would take it as such (for the record that was passive-aggressive condescension and this explanation is condescending sarcasm).

I don't ask questions I already know the answers to, I'm asking you to expound on your idea. You seemed miffed that I didn't acknowledge your idea earlier so now I am not just asking about it but am asking for details.
  19. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Me personally the rout that they are going with microtransaction it need to be free. Now if they make Subscription more appealing then I'm not against it.
    BUT as long as MC is in the game Subscriptions will always be devalued over time while they can continue to put new stuff in the game as microtransaction.

Here is the difference between games that weren't so popular and became popular or games that had a bad reputation and was forgiven vs DCUO not attracting more players.

Warframe became popular by listening to players and players in warframe always look on how to attract new players without being selfish.
    For instance I love grinding in warframe, I love railjack. It took me 5 days to build a railjack but for most ppl its going to take a month and the grind for railjack will scare ppl away So players like myself have complained to DE that the grind need to be less so they're are fixing it.

Destiny 2 is free to play. Even tho ppl spend over $60 for the game, they welcome the change to play with new players.

Final Fantasy is a game everybody love but when it 1st came out every one hate it.

With DCUO you guys want to improve the old and it's not working. Over the years ppl on the forums have not helped DCUO attract new players like they should or help keep the vetrans to play.
    Lets look at the things that ppl complain about and Quit while ppl On the forums attacked them for their Idea

Ppl wanted unlimted escrow for all players or at least raise it for ppl who pays for anything in game
    ppl against Guide 36 and 47
    paid to win
    Time capsuels
    Seals
    nerfs and buffs
    CR
    So when you have players who had problem with these things, ppl on the forums had problem with them.
    And when ppl wrote their stories why they have quit ppl on the forums make fun of them quitting and say can I have your stuff
    and it was soooooo many ppl that quit
    Soooo many ppl over the years on DCUO chat have said its not free to play so I'm quiting and ppl keep ignoring it.

This in my conclusion The game is the player base. So for the ppl that quit, they see the player base is selfish. If it doesn't affect them,
    then there nothing wrong with the game. This type of attitude prevented this game to do better. DCUO and the player base is one of the same, all for self.

I love warframe, Railjack in warframe don't affect me, BUT if I want it to be more popular 4 ppl to play with me then it can't just be about me but how other ppl will enjoy railjack with me.
  20. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

I don't enjoy this game, haven't played in 2-3yrs like I've said. You like the game, but what you like isn't enjoyable for a good amount of ppl. Get it.