Interesint reading about DCUO current state (Dimensional Ink info)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kuno, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuno Loyal Player

Reading this was a reality check, they may be certainly right.
    The director letter was trying to put us on the bright side, but if we are being honest, there's dark times ahead for DCUO players. The game went downhill years ago and I dont think there's a turn back.
    And now it seems there are no resources and no new content coming.
    Also we have yet to see anything new or new plans for this year, so Im going to be cautious and stop my membership until we have proof things are being worked on and we still have new content coming.

https://***********.com/2020/01/22/vague-patch-notes-chronicle-of-a-daybreak-death-foretold/
    • Like x 2
  2. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

We don't have enough information to say there are no resources. I'd speculate as the article did that DCUO is in the best position of all games previously under Daybreak. It's even possible they are even more liquid than before if they were carrying any burden from the other games.

Furthermore DCUO is a very unique IP, yet unlike the others it's not quite as niche, if we presume the article is correct, the matter of DCUO being purchased is more of a when not an if in my opinion, so again that should be seen quite positively.

I'm not saying there isn't reason for pessimism, but I think reading that article there are a lot more positives to take away for DCUO than negatives.
    • Like x 8
  3. Mazahs Loyal Player

Gotta agree with Mysty-
    This is an opinion piece, one done by someone in tune with industry but still opinion.

It would make sense as they speculate that DCUO is in the best position, and you would try to sell off lagging bits.
    All in all it doesn't really change my mind on the game. I have always paid a monthly sub since close to launch, and will likely continue to as long as the people I know play and I enjoy it. If the Sky goes all Henny Penny, not a big thing but I would miss it.
    • Like x 3
  4. inferno Loyal Player

Funny enough that same site said the same thing when soe was sold to daybreak; everquest was ending and doom and gloom. At least the writer then actually wrote more about his experiences with soe and soe live(what he will miss and the people that worked there) rather than speculate about something in which he has no sources to back up with. All this one presents is a possibility and goes straight for the jugular.

Now everyone can speculate away on what this means to the game but I would rather speculate on what Jackster wrote in his post, that there are plans developing a second game and that they are hiring more developers for the new workload coming in. I would speculate as far as that since DCUO will be the only source of income for Dimensional Ink(unless they get more investors), they would use some of its resources towards the new development which will impact what we will get in DCUO. And all I care about is DC, this is primarily the reason I have stayed and will stay throughout the game.
  5. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Daybreak itself isn't in the best condition. Since SOE there have been cancellations on big projects under Smedley's tenure. The Ageny was announced to be still under development just prior to DCUO's launch, and then the abrupt firing and cancellation. This continued with Everquest's sequel and another project, and then there was the issues with H1Z1. At this point DBG is likely going to be sidelined and placed into a limited publishing role, which is easier to manage.

By having DI take over as a separate entity and dedicated developer for one of DBG's last surviving properties, it gives them free reign to work within their means and do what they can. Mind you, the publisher has to approve whatever they have in store, which also means signing off on budgets and all that, but with DBG hanging back in more of a limited oversight role, it allows DI to work more freely.
  6. Miss Adora Loyal Player

What I got from it, they are splitting the work load into three different mini studios. Really it depends on how many devs they will have to work on DCUO really matters and will it slow down any progress? If content still comes out like every 3-4 months, I don't see how this new announcement will be a negative effect on DCUO.
  7. Illumin411 Loyal Player

They said they're hiring. That's typically a sign of projected growth.
    • Like x 4
  8. SekretVillain Loyal Player

I havent seen anything about a 2nd game I did however see the unlabeled game but that could be anything and if dcuo 2.0 did happen and we couldn't move our current character over, it's a no deal for many because of the $ and time put in.
  9. nawanda Loyal Player

I’ve pushed out turds with more insight and purpose than that article.
    • Like x 3
  10. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

They definitely have the money, which is why they're hiring, it must be just as difficult finding more developers to hire than it is to create new content that we want, js.
  11. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Sigh, it seems people are just never going to stop thinking this way. Sorry, this is just something that annoys me

SOE and Daybreak are the same company, all that happened was a name change. Sony sold SOE to an investor (who has been a bit confusing) to which then SOE changed it's name to Daybreak. There was no such company of Daybreak prior to SOE changing it's name to it.
    • Like x 5
  12. inferno Loyal Player

Here's a direct quote from Jack's thread :
    "What about our new game? Well, I can’t say much right now, other than it’s a next gen MMORPG. It’s an action MMORPG, so no old fashioned click “A” and pray. And we’re hiring like crazy! We totally need YOU to make this game! Check out our openings and apply now!"

I absolutely have no idea what it is and don't want to speculate, all I know is that a second game is in development.
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Of course there are the same resources there were before, and of course there is new content coming. Massively is not a wise choice to go for information of any kind.
    • Like x 17
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.