Ice tanking

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Apolloin, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Apolloin Well-Known Player

So I have decided to come back and play again. I’ve been gone since before the Atlantis dlc. How is ice tanking these days? I have played ice since launch but I haven’t really tanked since 2014. So I wanted to brush off the dust and give it the good ole college try. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
  2. gemii Dedicated Player

Prepare to rotate shields and do a lot of kiting to avoid taking heavy damage by a sea of adds.
    • Like x 1
  3. Apolloin Well-Known Player

Gotcha, are there any other powersets you would recommend over ice?
  4. gemii Dedicated Player

for this era of DCUO. Rage tank theres alot of these around.

but ice is solid too.

just your preference i guess. Both are good tanks rage is better on adds ice is better on bosses.. end game elite content youll have to do alot of kiting with ice. Rage youll be able to handle adds better with less kiting

you cant go wrong with either power

Earth is good too im earth right now its kind of like ice your going to be doing alot of kiting.

thats what tanking is now bro kiting a bunch of adds lol their is no more just turtle tanking and blocking youll have to stay on the move at least for elite content. if you just play regular content then you can pretty much choose any tank power you want... i dont see many fire tanks around though so maybe stay away from that one lol.

also i recommend checking out obsidianchills or hawaii legend gamings tanking videos on youtube both have really good updated information regarding all the tanks and how to use them
    • Like x 1
  5. Apolloin Well-Known Player

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate ya!
  6. Miss Adora Loyal Player

no more 4 different shields, we are only down to two so got to time those shields right.
  7. Apolloin Well-Known Player

I have more than two. I have reflect, winter ward, shatter restraints, hardlight shield, and perfect poise
  8. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

Bitter wind is the one that stopped being a shield after revamp.

Everything else is still there.

Winter Ward and Reflect are the main ones, WW being the strongest now (no longer Reflect).

Hardlight shield decent, shattered restraint is weaker but swap in if need group immunity. The ice shields cool down was tinkered to more align with ice armor duration. Iconic shelds like HL and Amazonian deflect have longer cooldowns, so know when to apply the next one. Usually HL can be a stop gap if Ward or reflect is not ready yet.

Situationally for big telegraphed moved can Amazon deflect, do what's needed so not block broken before use.

For regular content, 3 shields should be enough, can swap in a CC move, SC if Eye of Gemini team synergy with some self heal, or flight's group pull.

On the cc move... a mob stunned is a mob not breaking the shield, if you have the loadout space, can use and save on emitters. Plus some of the artifact (manicles) and white mods can reduce shield cool down, so the ones you do have, you use more often.
  9. Nu31 Well-Known Player

For all of my loadouts (regular add loadout, single target face tank loadout, and range tank boss loadout) I use the same 3 artifacts; Dilustel Refractor, Manacles, and Mystic Symbol. You won't use supercharges enough to put in EoG in your armories.

Regular add loadout = Inescapable Storm, Frost Slam, Reflection, Shattered Restraints, Hardlight Shield, and Winter Ward.
    Face tank boss loadout = Lasso, Reflection, Shattered Restraints, Hardlight Shield, Winter Ward, and Amazonian Deflection (I rarely use this, this can be substituted with Dash Attack).
    Range tank boss loadout = Lasso, Reflection, Shattered Restraints, Hardlight Shield, Winter Ward, and Dash Attack.

- You want to use Lasso over Frost Snipe for a single target strong taunt because Lasso will proc your Dilustel Refractor. Of course all of the above are my opinions, but I think it's fair to say I know ice pretty well :).
    • Like x 2
  10. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Perfect Poise is decent, a little better than Dash Attack. Obsidian Chill did some testing of all the ice shields. Reflect and Shatter restraints are the weakest. Winter Ward and HLS are the strongest. They also recoded HLS so that it overwrites a healer shields instead of the healer shield overwriting yours. Big win.
    • Like x 1