Semi new player returning, few questions

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Brooksjedi, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Brooksjedi New Player

I played in the pc when the game launched and a few months after. Just came back to the ps4 and starting over. A lot seems to have changed. Is there a new player guide? The tutorial has not changed at all, it seems there is just so many expansions and i got lost in the hall of justice, honestly I'm very overwhelmed. I'm wondering until i hit a max level or wall or whatever is it worth subscribing to get all the episodes? Are there groups still for the older stuff also? I just feel like there is so much i don't know where to even start.
    Thanks
  2. merrygoblin Well-Known Player

If you last played as long ago as that, it will have changed A LOT, and possibly changed out of all recognition. I never played the game as it was in the early days, but it was even half like the videos of DCUO beta I've seen, it might be virtually unrecognisble now. It's changed a lot just since I've been playing, never mind compared to how it was at launch.

If you're coming back to the game virtually as a new player, I'd play through the levelling missions and get a feel for it (and how it may be different to how it was when you last played). Maybe try some of the new powersets since you were last on, and see what's changed in the core powersets, find one that works for you. I'd recommend getting the Utility Belt expansion (to equip more than one trinket at once). Also the Base/Lair system (and armouries) - armouries let you save a favourite loadout, set of gear, and your favourite look, with the ability to quickly revert back to it if necessary - useful for experimenting - or quickly switching roles/loadouts later in the game with 2 or more armouries.

If you want to level quickly, you can run the event version of the current episode (Metal Part 2 at the moment) once you're CR 15+. In-game prices are mostly in Source Marks now (except for the newer episodes that have their own currencies). Those source marks can be spent at the Mechanical Supply Vendor (in the HQs and all the safehouses), as a one-stop-shop for the latest levelling gear available to you (up to a certain point, after which you need to go seek out the newer episodes).

You might struggle to find groups for the older stuff now. A good league is probably your best bet for that. Most people can usually be found in the latest episode, especially as long it's accessible for free (and to virtually all) in event mode. You might try Doomed Metropolis also, that's in a permanent event mode, as well as the seasonal events - like the christmas seasonal you've probably noticed is currently on.

You'll probably want to pick up an Artifact or two as well. These level up (with Nth Metal) unlocking new or improved abilities. You can find one in the Doomed Metropolis event, and you get one from John Constantine as well when that mission drops for you. There are also Augments (that replaced gear mods if you know about those), that you can choose and level up once past a given CR.

That's probably quite the infodump already, and I've probably forgotten some things (that others will I expect fill in).
    • Like x 1
  3. Eve YouTuber

1-30 levels has not changed. The tutorial itself has changed for both heroes and villains:

They added a messaging system that tells you abit about how to use weapon\powers etc and whenever there are big events in DCUO (for example Christmas now and Metal Part II).

When you reach level 30 you most importantly will want to get better gear. Run solos and Duos as those are still active at low tiers.
    Try find a league too to make it easier for you to queue into content.

When you start getting into the game again, check these two guides for artifacts and augments, as they are important process of making your character stronger:
    https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/guides/dcuo-augments-guide-2018
    https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/guides/guide-artifacts-dcuo

You don't have to warp into watch tower specifically, you can go to a safe house and reach the mechanical vendor and buy some gear with source marks (Which are the current currency for MOST gear and styles, beside Justice League Dark Currency, Metal Part I and II currencies, JLD Currency will convert to Source Marks with the next episode coming to test\live).

Also make sure you run the event version of episodes (Free preview of each new episode that drops, changes every time there is a new episode), to get some marks and gear up. I do recommend getting membership so you can get the best gear and enjoy content without limits. But first as mentioned above, test the waters with the leveling missions & event version of episode, and see if you like the grind.

Hope this helps.
    • Like x 1
  4. DCUO Addict Committed Player

Welcome back!!

As you noted and others have said, the game is really, really different. There's a lot of ways to have a good time leveling your character and learning your power set(s). Here's my quick break-down of advice to add to the other great posts.

Character Creation/Faction and Power Selection: This really depends on your goal. It's fun to try the different power sets, but if you're looking for advice, here it goes.
    • I've only played on the hero side, but folks here on the forums say the villain side can get pretty sparse/deserted between new content. Go with what you like, but definitely consider joining a league early on if you're a villain. (Villains, please correct me if I'm wrong here.)
    • DPS vs non-DPS: It's easiest to get into end game raids if you are a Tank (ice, fire, earth, atomic) or Healer (sorcery, celestial, nature, water), but I can't stress enough that it's important to learn and practice your role before you take on content that's at your level. The need for Controllers seems to ebb and flow. I still enjoy trolling, but a lot of people hate it with all the changes from the revamp a few years ago. If you're going to focus on DPS, you will eventually specialize on might (super powers) or precision (weapons). There are definitely some meta powers and weapons, but starting out, I think the key is to find something that flows smoothly for your play style.
    First week or two
    • Run the leveling missions. This is the real tutorial for the game. The rest of the game is primarily group missions through the on duty tab.
    • This is where you start getting access to all your powers and can play around with your loadout.
    • Start paying attention to feats. Right now, you can ignore the lists in the feat menu for duos, alerts, raids, episodes, and styles (just buy every style you can get your hands on from the different vendors in the safe houses). Focus on the general, exploration, and solo lists. You can also work on the seasonal feats for the Season's Greedings seasonal event, since that's up right now.
    Next few weeks
    • Once you hit level 30, you're main missions are accessed through the On Duty menu. To begin with, you have quite a few solos, duos and alerts (4-person). While you may have to wait a bit for the matchmaking, if you're not picky and sign up for everything you're eligible for, you'll stay plenty busy with what pops. Keep looking out for opportunities to get more feats, including the ones in duos, alerts and raids.
    • You no longer advance in level, you advance your combat rating (CR) by getting better gear. My advice is to save your Source Marks and level up with just the gear that drops in the instances. That will level you up incredibly fast, and you'll want those Source Marks later for other things.
    • The open/free access ends at Tier 4 with the duos and the Inner Sanctum alert. You can continue to play and progress forward with the event content (currently Metal II) and the Death of Superman content (Doomed Metropolis open world, solo and Doomsday raid), but you'll need to subscribe or by episodes to access anything else.
    The path to end game
    • While it can be a little hard to get groups together for Tier 4-9 content, there's one way to kill two birds with one stone. Identify one or a couple of feats that's available in a certain piece of content, and use LFG to form a group to do that feat. The group will come together more quickly if you identify a feat. Make sure you've research how to get the feat before you start shouting on LFG :D
    • Starting at Tier 8, and in the event content, your gear drops will be attunable, meaning that the level of the gear depends on your current CR. To get the most out of this, try to save up a few pieces so that you only attune an item that will replace your lowest level armor piece. If you get stuck, and your attunable items aren't increasing in level, it's time to use those source marks you saved to buy a piece or two of armor from the vendor.
    • While it can be frustrating, there is some content that is just stubbornly deserted. If you hit a band of content where it's really hard to get into instances, focus your play time on the events, and you'll get enough armor to quickly sail past that part.
    Good luck, and I hope you have a great time!!
  5. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

;)
  6. Vio New Player

I just came back after a long hiatus myself. Admittedly, I was a little overwhelmed, but the biggest difference is I feel no real pressure to catch up. The que times can be long, but I imagine if you are able to find a helpful group, that wouldn’t be a huge deal. A little internet research and some YouTube videos helped me get on the right track, so I’m sure these resources would work for you as well. I’d say member up for three months and see how it goes. I did this with the approach that if I can’t stay with it for three months, then I’m not going to spend anymore money.

That being said, I’m enjoying myself. There are some things that still are a bit foreign (artifacts), but it’s been fun learning and playing. My league isn’t as active as it once was, but no big deal, that’s how it goes. You are not alone in your return, so I’m sure you will come across others as you play. Avoid the rat race and enjoy all the new information.