Who asked for the 'invite to' chat change?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So since the update, I can now 'invite to...' any of my chat tabs...which I have a bunch of...any time I want to send a tell, phase with, kick, inspect or whatever....who was asking for this? Oh...all the times I was NOT in a custom chat and decided to invite someone into that chat so I could NOT talk to them...cause I'm not currently in there as I said.

If even 1 minute was spent adding that change it's 1 minute that maybe could have been spent fixing a glitch in the current content.....so it was a minute wasted.

Seriously....does anyone find a great benefit from this? It might not be as big of a hassle if you have no custom tabs, but if that's the case you also would not benefit from it's addition.

Reinheld
    • Like x 4
  2. MizzTrollz New Player

I 100% agree! they add in useless stuff. The chat tab invites are annoying and not needed
  3. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

lol...i saw that...I don't personally want to be in anyone’s chat. I think wasting devs time and effort on Stuff like this, which has no bearing on the impact of the game; is why metal part 2 is broken!
    • Like x 1
  4. Darth Piper Loyal Player

It was a shock to see it there. It's convenient, don't get me wrong... because now I won't have to switch chat tabs in order to do the invite.

But the problem is that it needs to be on a nested menu, not a big list. The "Invite to..." lines are too close to some of the other things you might use more frequently.
    • Like x 1
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'd even go with putting them at the bottom of the list. Don't know about you, but I'm not inviting people as much as I'm sending a tell, phasing with, ignoring or inspecting them. I'm sure it's alphabetical, so make the line "Yikes....Invite to chat channel 'blady bla bla'" or "ZOWIE...invite to chat channel 'somechatchannel'"...or something. That'l get it!

Reinheld
  6. BumblingB I got better.

I understand this feature is more popular with PS crowd and I personally never used it, but you know that chat system and gameplay are from two different development teams, right?
    • Like x 1
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'm not sure why that matters. I'd guess that at some point someone higher than both groups approves all changes, and that most changes are requested not just thought up by the team then implemented without approval.

Now if this were something where ALL DBG games have the same chat system backend, and the change was rolled out for say....H1Z1 or Planetside and just happened to show up in DCUO as a side result, sure....I can see that happening, but again I'd guess there was a change report that went out to someone on the DCUO team they might have said "well for our game that might be an issue for our users as most of them are PS4 and use that menu feature".

Ah....who am I kidding, from all appearances any kind of stuff can be rolled in (like buggy DLCs) and it's just fixed on the fly....or not.

Reinheld

PS...you've been quiet lately....welcome back.
  8. Tabby Belle Well-Known Player

That explains the constant spam invites I get to join "5v5" recently. It caused me to just turned off chat invites completely.
  9. BumblingB I got better.

No, it matters because since they are two different teams they works towards what they are supposed to work on. Chat doesn't have the skills to work on gameplay and vice versa. So, as you said, a higher up approves it, you can't take resources from the chat system to fix a gameplay bug, just as much as you can't take resources from gameplay to fix chat.

Yes, it's all the same well that they pull from in terms of money, but they work mostly separate and this fix might have been in the pipeline of the chat development for sometime now and it finally got pushed live. I can probably bet the chat system developers are no where as big as the gameplay ones. (Which the gameplay ones are divided up based on DLC to allow for constant working ahead and all are under one director.)

Edit: Oh and I just came back to check on what the hubub was about with bans. I have a lot going on in real life.
    • Like x 2
  10. Darth Piper Loyal Player

I did that a long time ago because someone I know would send me chat invites instead of tells... and caused me to die several times in various raids. Not good when you're the tank and have that, "So-and-so would like you to join the chat X" pop up in the middle of combat while you are mid-rotation. You can't do anything until you dismiss the window.

What would be a HUGE help is if chat invites would be temporarily disabled when your combat indicator is on without your having to do anything. Same with group invites, trade invites, etc.
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Ah...so your reply wasn't so much that the change was unneeded, but just that the 1 min saved would not have helped with the buggy raids....agreed and retracted. How about this?

If even 1 minute was spent setting this un-needed and probably un-requested 'improvement' to chat, it's 1 minute that could have been spent with some chat dev relaxing or leaning over the cube wall to see what all the 'gameplay' hubbub was about as he dreamilly mused on his wise decision to join the chat dev team where they have enough time to add features most do not want and will not use.

Better?

And welcome back anyway! Hopefully the RL stuff keeping you busy is of the good type...not that bad type.

Reinheld
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Nah...those 5v5 guys have been around for a while. I know you will get bombarded if you are A) in the WT near any broker/mail/bank station or B) posting any messages in WT Shout, Trade or LFG. I actually joined the chat a few times by mistake. Sounded like when you used to go around the WT with 'proximity' chat on....20-30 people just jawwing, dropping N-bombs, F-bombs and playing DJ with terrible music....no thanks, chat deleted.

I think those guys and the 'We the best music' people in chat are the same numbskulls.

Reinheld
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Not quite correct, the chat team has to keep working. So the decision of that one minute was probably decided months ago. They work separately along side other teams. It would be nice if they could help fix a poorly released dlc, but it's probably outside of their pay grade. If something went wrong with chat they would have to put what they were currently working on-on hold, then fix the big they introduced.

The current problems of this dlc is because they rushed it live to get it out before everyone goes on Christmas break.
    • Like x 1
  14. Darth Piper Loyal Player

The team working on the chat system is more likely going to be able to help with basic UI functions/fixes than with game mechanics fixes.