Player role vs numbers

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Imperator, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Imperator New Player

Well hello darlings.
    How roles ratio looks at the moment? Which one is most requested? I'm not shure what to pick as main, I like to tank but controller seems interesting.
    Any advice from more experienced?
  2. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

tank-healer-dps-controller.
    • Like x 1
  3. Brit Loyal Player

Tanks are always in the highest need. It is the most complicated role, requiring the greatest amount of familiarity with the content. It is also one that can be considered challenging for anyone who is not at least Premium, due to the cash cap interfering with the ability to repair gear. Gear breaks based upon damage in, not just death, so a Tank will theoretically always have the highest repair bill in the raid.

I believe for those two reasons (more responsibility, and less player-friendly for FTP players), Tanks are the least plentiful role. If you are a Tank, and you can do your job even passably well, you will always be able to find work.
    • Like x 1
  4. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Not to nitpick what you were saying here, but how does being FTP actually effect the numbers of tanks in the game.

From my understanding, now just me, but FTP can only run the event and content upto what T4, if that.

The population need tanks well past that and in order to run any other content, other than the latest DLC you have to be at least premium to run it anyway, so they can't be FTP, which leaves the cash cap.

Again not to nitpick, it is a game available to all, with an exception that does not mean all of it is available, but would anybody waste a full day in any 1 raid or alert because someone does not know how to manage their toon?

Not trying to make a straw man pole here, but seems more like who would want to be responsible for the group not succeeding would be the question, where it is much easier to just stay DPS and not have to worry about any flack whatsoever.

Yes, it will be harder to get into content, but at least you can out DPS the healer, troll or tank plus you don't have to worry about being called out for anything but being bottom DPS.
  5. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

Curious, indeed.

Regarding roles, I'd say that Tanks and Healers are the most needed.
  6. Brit Loyal Player

You are correct that FTP can only run Event content and content up to T4. The Event content of the most recent Episode is one of the most highly populated areas of the game. Even players who are high enough to complete Regulars and Elites often shift over to the Event version after completing their Renown, simply because they are faster and easier, and the regular version no longer has anything of value beyond the Marks which are available everywhere. It's a prevalent opinion in many Episodes due to a lack of a rare item on the final bosses (unlike Panopticon and Gotham Zoo Elite, where rare items kept the Elite versions relevant long after the gear was obsolete). You can observe this trend for yourself simply by queuing into the Event version and noting that, even in a random queue, there will frequently be multiple teammates who are above the CR-bump threshold; players who could be running Regular or Elite and are actively choosing not to.

Obviously the population needs Tanks beyond that point. All roles are needed at the endgame raids. In the Elites, sometimes it is even preferable to have two of a specific Support type for a given boss fight. The fact that Tanks are needed, however, does not mean that population matches that need. That is specifically the question that the original poster was asking.

I suppose you may have interpreted the question: "What role is most requested?" as being some sort of ranking of importance, as though one role is needed while others are increasingly optional. In my opinion though, all are needed, and the role that is "most requested" is the role that the population least fills, the role which is most likely to be hard to find, the one hardest to replace should they leave, the one that when queuing for content or speaking out in /LFG will be able to fastest fill their teammate's ranks. If a role disparity exists, as most of us believe it does, then the fact that all roles are needed in endgame content is irrelevant. The question is not which roles are needed; the question is which roles are available.

So I reaffirm my original position. As an FTP player, Tanking (even at the Event level) is a sincere challenge. The money cap prohibits a sufficient repair fund, and the trading ban prevents other players from being able to hand you sodas to sell. An FTP player can Heal, Control, or DPS passably at that Event level, but will struggle with Tanking due to these external restrictions. This serves as a deterant to new players experimenting with the game actually choosing to become Tanks.

Even at the Premium level, while Trading is permitted which can greatly ease the burden by allowing the group to help their Tank repair, it still involves a cumbersome headache of breaking down stacks of sodas and selling them in small portions in order to perform micro-repairs, since the cost of repairing all the gear at once will exceed the $3000 cash cap. So you will see a proportionately smaller number of Premium players that choose to take on that annoyance when they could otherwise toggle to their DPS role and not have to require the entire Raid to pause and wait on them, or feel like a begger for asking for help.

As you yourself mentioned, playing in the DPS role is considered by many to be the "easiest" role. Obviously it is not "easy" in the regard that it requires any less skill; it is more regarded in that manner because you always have multiple other players fulfilling that same role, people who can help make up the difference if you are slightly behind the curve. DPS creates a position of less stress and less pressure, which makes it more popular.

And because the DPS role is the most popular role, there are more players playing as it. When you queue for content, DPS will have the longest wait because they have more people in that line (hence why we so frequently see DPS players who queue as both roles in order to get a pop, and then have zero desire to actually play their support role). DPS will have to wait the longest, because there are so many more of them. The original poster specifically wanted to know what role was needed most so that he could be able to essentially 'find work' faster and spend less time wasting his gameplay by sitting around and waiting for queues to pop.

For Raid content at any level, Support roles will always be harder to find than DPS, which means Support roles will have faster queues and will get quicker responses in /lfg.

And amongst the Support roles, as everyone in this thread except for you has all stated, Tanks are the hardest to find. Tanks are the least plentiful, so Tanks are the most highly desired by groups.
  7. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Tanks are definitely the most needed. The problem compounds itself because the supply:demand ratio is so out of wack that a lot of good tanks end up switching to troll or healer powers to give themselves a break from people constantly asking them to tank, even within leagues. I made my first and only alt in response to the countless groups seemingly stuck trying to queue and spamming LFG for a tank. For that reason it's also a good way to make a lot of money fast if you don't mind being seen as a merc.
  8. Batrederik Dedicated Player

Why wish you become more experienced? Hm?

But Tank. A Tank must have the deepest commitment... the most serious *mind*. This one a long time have I watched. All The tanks, they looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never they minds on where they were... what they was doing. Adventure. Excitement. A Tank craves not these things. It is probably as straightforward to start with these guys as they are by nature.
    If in real life you favour simplicity in behaviour over the fancy mind games and thrive to be a stone wall for your friends and *family*, maybe it is your guy. ...
    Still, be prepared that playing a tank means taking (responsibility) for controlling the adds and raid bosses. And party mates may (and will) blame you if the raid fails. So be sure to have nerves as steel and the reaction of a Dark Knight or Yoda.

DPS. DPS! young and powerful.
    The routine kills you. And you are ready, to put it all on one deadly strike. If you are usually just exploding with energy and hungry for action, try going DPS. :) Just don’t forget to back it up in time to stay alive ^ ^.

Support
    So, sharing is caring, they say. And patience. For the Support, it is time to eat as well. It’s great to know to know that the team relies on you just to be a little better. It’s great fun to have an impact on a battle without having to make a big deal out of it ^. Yes, yes, yes, awesome supporters become legends (as well as disaster-supps). If you are naturally the caregiver who enjoys helping others and being needed, maybe it’s worth trying a support class. The main trick is that sometimes the success of the entire battle may depend on you, so you have to be good, and ready to handle the responsibility for your decision (oh that fights and blames in voice chats), which makes this class not so easy to play as, it may seem.

Debuffer
    A fair fight is a concept you’ve heard of but wish to not interact with, hmm. The role of debuffer, assumes that you are able to focus on the task at hand. A keen eye for details will also be a great benefit for this class. If you like to get involved in actions, but your approach is to manipulate and influence the events from a distance, maybe it’s your class.

Or you can check this out.
    https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/guides/guide-character-basics-choose-your-power-dcuo
  9. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

As a tank you get into new content faster, but you gotta know the mechanics pretty well. Tanks get criticized more than any other role, despite being the one role that has to adapt to specific content playstyles/mechanics. Thats why Im kinda choosy who I run with as a tank. I run with fellow players that are seasoned/patient enough to learn the mechanics, but some are not as fortunate. Thats why tanks are in such high demand and in small numbers. Most ppl dont want to be the center of possible blame, so they pick less challenging roles or simply dps. The game's community can be quite unforgiving at times, which can influence what roles people choose to play.
    • Like x 2
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Tank, then heal, then troll...DPS's can be queued in if you have a few decent ones so although you'll see shouts for any and all roles, you can see 3 groups in LFG looking for tanks at the same time. You don't see that for the others.

I'd agree with the other's assesment, there are less tanks because it's arguably the hardest job with the least amount of thanks. Tanks make almost no hero pickups, they don't keep people alive directly like a healer and when they go down, normally things go bad very fast as almost no groups go out with a backup tank as they will with healers or trolls.

As far as the no tanks due to repair bills, I'm going to disagree. FTP and Premium are separated by 1000 cash, which can be 1 piece of gear if you are 260+. Also, unless they are running in tank form constantly I doubt there are many FTP who run roles as 1 armory+ 1$ of anything else would make them Premium. Even at FTP, it's pretty easy to keep enough sodas on you (probiotics are better anyway) that the repair bill shouldn't be the big push away from being a tank...IMHO. We'll never see the numbers, but I'd be hard pressed to believe there are any serious 'role' players who are FTP still. I run 2 premium accounts where I have tanks and do very well tanking with those. I spent the $5 long ago to go premium and am as cheap as they come.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  11. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Hardly.

I honestly wasn't responding to the OP, it was, again not to nitpick, to me a legit question.

I haven't played in a while, again just being honest.

Last time I checked the event content was so easy a tank wasn't all that necessary, but for the sake of your point ok.

If all a FTP player can run is latest event content and content that could be steam rolled by a mediocre healer, i.e. FOS, which going tank would just be for fun, so I really don't see where they would even be able to even go tank or if it would matter.

But ok.
  12. fm0987 Committed Player

I'm premium so only events aside from deluge I've bought, but anyway, earth battle tanking can be pretty fun (having mainframe dlc or whatever it's called also doesn't hurt). Often times top dps as well in tank role (not very difficult since mostly noobs run the events). I'd say go with what you like. I never really cared for playing troll/ heals, but tank is pretty fun imo.
  13. Brit Loyal Player

I am happy to further discuss this with you if you wish to have more explanation, but I do not feel it appropriate to intentionally derail the original poster's thread when he was asking an earnest question that he needs answered in order to enjoy his gameplay.

If you wish to discuss it further with me, please shoot me a PM. Otherwise, we should stick to answering the original poster's question and avoid going off-topic and getting the thread locked.

To the point of answering the original poster's question of how the role ratios look and which role is most requested, the answer is Tank. The game has a disparity of roles that results in there being fewer Tanks than any other role, so they are always in the highest of demand. If I were starting over from scratch on day one again, I would be a Tank. I went all-in as Healer since launch though, and starting over now just isn't happening.
  14. Dene Devoted Player

Tanks may be highest in demand but there demand is only for a few end game things.. I feel sorry for those that want to focus on tanking as they are pretty much shunned for anything bar a few raids at a time
    • Like x 2
  15. KeithaH New Player

Anything but DPS. Seems like every instance the DPS are what everyone wants to play. Instances where Healers, Trolls and Tanks are needed yet everyone is DPS.
  16. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Then why throw all that in if it would derail the discussion.

Tanks have always been the role that gets the most flack.

They are built to take damage.

If they don't perform the role correctly cost of repair is high for all the other roles in the group, which means everyone has to repair their gear, and which is costly to a FTP player or a premium player.

So regardless it will cost them.

Tanks have also been the role that was requested to be solo played for raids the longest and the least needed the for alerts.

Thanks though.
    • Like x 1