No more replay badges...?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Gambo323, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Caesar's Lion Dedicated Player

I'll skip past the fact your post made no sense, & your reading comprehension is lacking, because I don't think English is your first language.

I understand you put effort in to try to help the game, & that's to be commended. However, this attitude that being able to pay to circumvent natural progression is ok, just because they give a little back as a member reward is seriously misguided.
    • Like x 2
  2. the solowing Steadfast Player

Rework the current subscription model, so the perks are more beneficial to subscribers currently. The subscription model has been lackluster IMO for years, it leans to heavily on the unlimited cash being the backbone of the subscription and most additions to the game nowadays sidestep any legendary perks
    • Like x 6
  3. Proxystar #Perception

To be fair i think you're equally failing to express your point particularly clearly and the first part of your post unnecessary to the extent you can clarify yourself without being rude and insulting.

I thought Zoe was simply expressing an opinion that removing replays would affect membership value, if you remove replays, you remove that perk, pretty simple concept and not technically incorrect.
    • Like x 2
  4. Proxystar #Perception

I agree with this in that the subscription pack could definitely be reworked.
    • Like x 3
  5. Gambo323 Level 30

You’re missing my point... no need to reset missions for paying members. Unlocking styles and feats with replay badges would still make badges necessary
  6. ColdFuzion Well-Known Player

i'll get straight to the point...replays will not be stopped period. end of thread.
    • Like x 1
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You can't just devalue one of their primary money makers.
    • Like x 1
  8. Zneeak Devoted Player

You can definately debate doing so when they have picked and developed three or four new "primary" money makers upon the original "primary" money maker.

How many cashgrabs can be placed and stacked upon another cash grab before it's enough?
    • Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Unfortunately without any data on their financial situation, that kind of ends up a bit on the nebulous side. We can't really answer that without knowing more.
    • Like x 3
  10. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

So I am confused. Do you mean to remove the NECESSITY to unlock content? As in also remove the loot locks for the content and players can just run the instance repeatedly and recieve rewards for completion? Or to remove to remove the ABILITY to use replay badges on content as in you run it once loot locked do not enter again?
  11. Gambo323 Level 30

Remove the need to use badges on missions for members. Badges will still be necessary for style unlocks and feats and non member players
  12. Caesar's Lion Dedicated Player

I think my original post was fairly clear. But I put it on a public forum, therefore you're entitled to pass comment on it's clarity, just as I was to pass comment on Zoe's response to it. & as for being rude, I'm quite sure it's not the first time you've pointed out a post made no sense.

As for your 2nd paragraph, you're just being contrary. The OP is suggesting members being able to run unlimited content without loot locks, vs 2 raids a month. Now you can argue that's fantasyland, you can argue that sort of accelerated progression is bad for the game, but you can't argue that removing those 2 raids a month devalues membership if it's replaced by being able to run unlimited content for rewards.

What's a better happy hour, $15 for 2 drinks or $15 for as many drinks as you want?
  13. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Did they really have to put style unlocking behind replays tho...
  14. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Replays are (IMO) totally optional as there is sufficient time between DLCS to progress to top tier without them. The only use I see for replays is to for styles or to buy earned feats from your main onto an ALT.

This is another instance of the "nice to have" vs "necessary to progression" comparison. If players want to make use of replays to gear up more rapidly, fine, they should. If NOT there is no measurable penalty to players who do not.
    • Like x 2
  15. Proxystar #Perception

The part that was rude was the manner in which you attacked the reading comprehension and asserted that English wasnt her second language.

When i critique a post, it's generally kept towards the post itself not my feelings of whether or not the individual has a personal level of incompetence, nevertheless that part of it probably isn't important, i just made that more as a passing comment.

Back on primary topic, if you removed replays entirely then that would diminish the subscription perk because those 150 replays we get become worthless, that's the point and of course if you disable replays you can't just make resets free, that would destroy progression completely.

Just as a point of being pedantic also, we don't get 2 free raids a month, we get 1, each raid is 87 replays and we only get 150 ;)
    • Like x 2
  16. myandria Item Storage

Hmm....

If the devs removed the need to use replay badges to reset mission rewards, that would devalue the missions themselves because the devs would not want to put a any rare/legendary item in those missions as a reward drop or "tweak" those drops to make them appear even less than they do now. The RNG Spirits are strong enough as it is; let's not make them any stronger. It is bad enough that many players do not want to and/or avoid the older content; taking away the replay badges to reset missions would make even the most recent content ghost content.

You have forgotten to point out that the many games that do not have replay badges to reset missions have reset timers on their larger raids and/or important quest missions that players cannot get around; they have to wait until the raid/mission timer resets. The less important missions that you can play over and over do not have the greatest reward drops, which is why they are re-playable in those games. At least DCUO lets you reset ANY mission in the game if you are willing to spend the replay badges on it.

At the end of the day, the devs need to make sure that this game not only attracts players but also make money. It is a tough balancing act; however, replay badges guarantees a steady stream of income, so the devs and the company itself will not want to see it changed in that manner.
    • Like x 1
  17. Brit Loyal Player

I remember playing the game before Replay Badges were a thing.

It was awful. We fought tooth and nail to get Replay Badges introduced, while a lot of the Developers seemed initially resistant. Prior to Replay Badges, you ran your small, limited window of content... and then you logged off for a week because there was nothing left to do. The second Replay Badges went live, we started being able to run daily raids and have far more options of stuff to do.

Replay Badges are a band-aid fix for the fact that we just don't have enough content. New content gets beaten in an hour, rather than taking weeks of gradual progression. And gear progression makes it so we have the vast majority of the game granting zero rewards or easily obsoleted. Finish a couple of feats, and then you never, ever have a good reason to run it again.

I think the more recent changes with Replay Badges, allowing them to be used to unlock styles and feats from other characters, have been really positive changes for the game. Now I rarely use my replay badges to actually replay content, and instead I am perpetually shoring up the skill points on an alt so that that second run of the same raid could be done on a bonafide different character. It takes 87 Replay Badges for my main to run a raid a second time in a week, or for the same cost, I could buy an alt 1.35 skill points to bring them closer to my main. It's a slow process, but this is the first time in an MMO in over 20 years where I have felt like the game didn't openly punish me for dividing my time and wanting to make an alt.
  18. Proxystar #Perception

You mean like the numerous other MMO's out there? (none others I know of have replays) doesn't that speak volumes as to the wealth of content in this game (or lack thereof being the point) and the lack of horizontal progression and character development side quests.

If there was more character development in this game that doesn't just involve a repetitive vertical gear grind ad neauseum then you wouldn't need to spam replays. ;)
    • Like x 3
  19. Brit Loyal Player

Precisely what I was trying to politely phrase. Pryor to the introduction of Replay Badges, we would start playing on Thursday after reset and before noon, we would have completed everything that remained for our character. If it gave a single useable mark, or if it contained a single style that we didn't have, it would be lootlocked for the week, and there would be nothing else left to do (except PvP).

Obviously we all agree that having more real content is the most desirable option. Instead of two new raids that are 40 minutes long each, it would be awesome to get ten raids that size, or just have two raids, but have them be six hours long. Tack on a dozen new alerts, and twenty new duos every Episode and that would be enough content to satiate most of the players. But it's also just not a realistic expectation. The lack of horizontal progression is real, and anyone who looks can see it.

So if we're not going to have that, then Replays are regrettably the next best option. Sure it means running the same thing over and over, but at least we can run something. Coming from someone who used to clear the Fortress runs for my Marks of Krypton, and then listen as the League signed off to a chorus of "See you next Thursday", paying a $15 subscription for 5 hours of gameplay per month was something that just was not sufficient to hold customers. Replay Badges are something that need to stay, unless we reach a point where updates are either significantly larger or significantly more frequent.
    • Like x 4
  20. Proxystar #Perception

Remember PVP was loot locked too :D
    • Like x 2