The events... The repetition...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Microwave, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Microwave Well-Known Player

I love that there are events in this game and I like them except by the time there's 9 or 10 days left to do them, I'm so sick of them I consider quitting the game. At least for a while. They wear me out! I want the currency they reward and I want the cool things that's sold in the event vendors. But I really really hate playing DCUO right now. I'm so sick of it. It's making me so tired of this game I don't want to play it anymore.

The events are too repetitive and, for me personally I don't know about you, to make enough event currency to buy all the rewards I want is just becoming NOT WORTH IT.

Too much time doing the same thing over and over again is getting really mind numbingly frustrating!

I really don't mean to complain but I don't think events were really made to be boring or frustrating in their repetition.
    It would just be nice to see something more varied in the future that's all.

The Halloween event is my favorite of them all by the way. So I'm not knocking any of the events. I'm just kinda wishing there was another way to make events less repetitive. Add something new in between beating open world portals and doing the klarion fight? Something that can be different every year maybe? Or something?
    • Like x 2
  2. Eve YouTuber

Events are my favorite because the styles and base items we get. But I do not like playing the open world\on duty for that.
    It is repetitive. I wish we could get a new content, but It's probably not a priority, though. The Witching Hour & Spring are my favorite.
    Wish we fought against Poison Ivy in spring event, and maybe collect eggs to break through a basket like the teekl buckets?
    Anything to spice things up.
    • Like x 2
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

To be fair, they did add a little something extra to Halloween last year, with trying to find Batwoman in Gotham. And I believe the hunting for Mera/Aquaman statues was an addition to Valentine's Day events. So while they aren't adding a ton of stuff they do add some things here and there.

But I think they're pretty much good as is, personally. The very first Valentine's event had a lot more parts to it, but because of that it ended up being something of a slog to get through.

I only had two characters at the time, and it was all I could do to get through just the open world stuff on those two characters. But the events now are a lot more streamlined. Even with possible open world hassles (like other players swarming a spawn like locusts) the seasonal events are pretty much a "get in, run it, move on to other stuff" kind of thing.

As for burnout, that's something I think every player needs to figure out how they wish to handle it. And there are options available to help relieve some of that, from seasonal currency being available on the Marketplace to using Replay Badges for feats on alts. And speaking of alts, there's always the possibility of using alts to get the stuff you want quicker and being done with the event sooner.

For example, when it comes to decorations I'll designate one character to get the base items to add to one of their bases, then run my other characters through the event to get either the amount needed for a feat or a decorating idea. Once that's done, I use Replay Badges to get the feats on all my characters (I don't reset a lot of content, so my RBs can pile up LOL) and retire them from running the event for that year. Same happens for a collection or any costume pieces.
    • Like x 2
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

New content or expanded content for the seasonals would be great.
    • Like x 4
  5. ColdFuzion Well-Known Player

I agree, i just solve the boredom chatting to someone or playing music makes it goes by much faster.
    • Like x 2
  6. Awsome Well-Known Player

The open world definitely gets tedious. There is literally no challenge to it. Its just a meaningless task. Something like can get fixed (IMHO) by just cutting the requirements in half. I'm not saying for the real challenging ones like the Antimonitor stuff, but like saving trick or treaters, can't we cut it to 6 and 9 instead of 12 and 18 or whatever it is? Christmas, can't we just save 6 presents instead of 12? This way its significantly less tedious, and since everyone has to find less, finding the spots will be quicker.

Honestly, having these in the game is a good thing, but the goal should be to make it challenging or fun. and flying around for 10 minutes looking for trick-or-treaters to save just isn't blowing me away.
  7. Irvynnge Loyal Player

man, that old Valentine's Day event looks like a nightmare! could be a whole lot worse, I guess. lol.
  8. Hraesvelg Always Right

Man, you've got to do a trigger warning before you mention the original Valentine's Day event. Oh, the horrible, horrible memories...
    • Like x 2
  9. GoldenDodge Dedicated Player

"Give your love to Circe!"
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Oops, my apologies. :oops: Duly noted for future reference, though.
    • Like x 1
  11. Hollows Active Player

If you want them to cut the amount of "save X" down, then they will also have to cut the rewards down as a result for "balance" reasons. Which in turn should cut the amount of currency down needed to acquire the goodies.
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I only have 3 real complaints about the repetitiveness of the events.
    1) Why the heck don't people group for these anymore? It used to be that when you got to whatever 1st outdoor objective was up for the event, you'd grab whoever was near...you both work on 2 different portal in a close area...finish in 2x the time. I get it...you don't need the help, neither do I, but I do value my time....maybe more than others do. Whatever I can do to grind it out a bit faster is a good option in my opinion. Maybe grab a 3rd or 4th, finish even faster then queue up, insta-pop the indoor and be done on that toon for the day. Now people act like getting an inv is some sort of insult or attack and instead you and the other guy are racing to the portals or trees or whatever trying to edge out the other guy by a second so you can get credit before he does. This event is especially bad as the ghosts do not count a lot of the time if you don't do a moderate percentage of damage on them and since everyone is so OP, that happens a lot as the ghosts vanish in one burst damage blast.
    2) The cutscene repetition and loot delay. Ok, I get it, we want to have a little story along with the pew-pew-pew, so cutscenes are needed. However, for those of us who have seen them no less than 100 times a year for 8 years, pay the loot off as soon as the boss is dead and let us warp out. Holding us hostage for another 30-60 seconds of cutscene...again...to get our loot seems a bit un-necessary.
    3) No autocomplete on event dailies. I never understood why some journal entries autocomplete and others do not. I'm not talking about ones where you have to 'go talk to X person' to close a mission out like the metal dailies, I'm talking about ones where the journal entry goes green automatically and you just need to go in and press a button to collect. Events especially where you can be running rapidly on 10 alts, it's pretty easy to forget to close it out...costing you the marks for that day. Why is that a needed step where other missions complete and pay out as soon as the objectives are done? One might think the goal is to give us a chance to forget, thereby missing loot for that mission, thereby making the chance of replays being used, greater. But no body would do that on purpose, right?

If these 3 things were no longer issues, (especially 2 and 3) it would make the event grind seem less grindy. I mean by 10-20 days in is anyone really 'enjoying' the event any more? Maybe even by day 1, but I'm taking into account there are 1st year people here who don't have 7 years of burnout behind them....for them I'd guess it would take a week or 2 to get burned out at least.

Reinheld
  13. Panderus Senior Producer

In general I am in agreement that the length of time asked to login every day to play our seasonal event content that is... functional... Is a bit on the higher side of what I would like to ask our players to do.

Part of the challenge would be that in order to change them or make new ones we would have to do less in upcoming episodes. Same amount of content produced in total, but it might be spread out more across the year between episodes. Would this be more desirable at all? How long do you feel an event should come and stay for?
    • Like x 1
  14. Zneeak Devoted Player

Actual progression-based content that people actually pay for should NOT have to suffer any further just to be able to make seasonal content more appealing. The current formula for Episodes as opposed to the former DLC's have already given us less as it is, with maximal grind attached to it.

Perhaps if you don't treat actual, casual Seasonals that very same way it wouldn't feel so repetitive as described in the OP.
    • Like x 1
  15. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I don't think anything needs to be changed in regards to the actual content, but I think the amount of marks you get certainly can increase. That, or lower the cost of rewards so it's less grindy. An event is supposed to be a fun escape from the daily dlc grind, not another chore.
    • Like x 7
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I think this year in particular it seems worse. The span of time for JLD was also during the time of year there is only the summer seasonal...now we get 2 new DLCs in a few months during the busiest seasonal time of the year. Not that I think you should move things around, just explaining why maybe this year it seems worse than in some years past. Maybe it's the same and I'm mis-remembering, but I thought Oct-Mar was normally a dry spell for DLCs, or one would be released during the duration...so the 5 events (Halloween, Xmas, Anniv Event, Valentines, St.Pats) were a nice distraction. This year they are in direct competition with 2 tightly released DLCs. Our gears can only grind so much. If Metal 1 had come out in late July or early Aug, I'd think we'd all feel different, but I realize there are reasons it was dropped when it was.

Reinheld
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

There are ways of circumventing the seasonal grind, though. Lowering the costs or increasing the currency reward could run the risk of decreasing participation in the event, and beyond having a decent sized pool of players to work with the devs do want players to run the content they make.

I think looking at costs of past rewards could be something, though. A new (or relatively new) player would have a daunting task playing catch-up on seasonal feats, especially ones that require specific items for a feat, so easing that particular burden might be a way to go.
  18. nawanda Loyal Player

I get what you’re saying, but it sounds like you’re describing a catch-22. Six months between DLCs of this size is already unacceptable to absolutely every subscription paying member I know. This cannot be sustainable for either side, players or Daybreak.

OP, my suggestion is absolutely hammer the seasonal for a year on multiple alts. Build up a reserve of currency on your account. Then in future years you will be able to do what I do, just run the inside most days on 3-4 toons, which takes 20 minutes, to top up your balance for the following year.
    • Like x 1
  19. Zamara Dedicated Player

One thing i don't get is why the wintern seasonal is the only one where we get 16 marks for the exact same type of missions while the rest of the events reward only 10. iirc it gives 6 for open world, 4 for the instance and 6 more from the mission that asks to complete the on duty instance. So we basically get 10 from just doing the on duty part. From 5 days of doing everything we have 80 marks during the wintern seasonal but in the rest of the seasonals we have 50.
  20. inferno Loyal Player

PLEASE, don't sacrifice episode development just to do some changes for event or seasonal content. Episodes are pretty thin as it is, and seasonals and events are simple fillers in between episodes.

Personally, i grind events with, lets say, over 20 alts a day. It's hard and definitely a game buzz-killer but it's my choice to do such a hard grind and I usually end it in 2 weeks. So if these can be done or limited to be finished within 10 minutes (both inside and outside) then it would be great; less time would be better. My suggestion, which can be carried over to other seasonals; 1) option to remove cutscenes 2) 50% less of things to do. i.e. Klarion fight only 1 round with crystals instead of 2 and cut number of outside requirements by half.
    Leave the duration of these event to 1 month, enough time to grind out most, if not all needed.

Lets be honest, it doesn't matter if you change the seasonal instances because after running them for 30 times, players get burnt out. Play them for over 7 years and they kinda make you feel like poking your eye out for fun.

I look at seasonals and events the same way I look at awful-tasting medication..Get it over quick and nasty...Bleargh..
    • Like x 1