Ease up on healers

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Raven Roth, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Raven Roth Committed Player

Please understand that we do everything we can to keep everyone alive and that we can't always save you from everything. Everyone is always so quick to blame the healer for their own mistakes.

Healers are not responsible for:

Doing mechanics the DPS should be doing.

You being tunnel-visioned and dying to a mechanic you missed or one shot move that you didn't block or dodge.

You standing in an AoE and expecting to be power healed through it.

You jumping in between or too close to the tank and the adds.

You attacking the enemies before the tank.

Always picking you up when you die when another close by DPS could have.

You being undergeared or not skilled enough as a tank and your health dropping like a stone every 0.5 seconds.

You constantly moving out of their line of sight and not being healed.

And don't even get me started about the stress solo healers have to endure.
    • Like x 21
  2. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

YES to absolutely everything Raven just said. Let us see what else we can add...

To all you score board chasers that race ahead of the entire team into a room filled with mobs DESIGNED to be fought by a 4 man team (alert) or 8 man team (raid). Run in solo and aggro the entire room. YOU are way over your head as far as number of mobss you can defeat alone and hey here's a big heads up for you.. Heals do NOT work through walls, they can not turn corners and guess what? THEY HAVE RANGES. So if your in another room, around a corner and way out of range the reason you are dead is because you are an idiot.

Let us discuss RANGE a second shall we? My favorite healer is my CR 275 Healer. Have you ever paid attenrtion to anything in the room and noticed that pretty blue circle of waves at your feat? THAT is my Heal over time (HOT) and when the circle end so does the healing. So if you stand outside the circle the only person to blame for you not getting heals is Y O U. New flash.. all heals have a range and if you stand so far away from the healer with a pile of enemies between you and him. You are not going to get any heals of any kind.

Now as Raven discussed let us talk about player attitude.... Do some of you out there never solo anything? I know for a fact there are some , again usually the one's trying for top score on that score board, that carry no soda at all because heals are something the healers is responsible for and power is the trolls job. Your power set offers you a self heal and in many cases even a protective shield to deflect damage but using any of that stuff would mean have 1 or 2 less attacks. hey here's a thought you are supposedly part of a T E A M try acting like it. If you can get your power and health up by sipping a soda or, GOD FORBID, dropping a supply drop off your utility belt and you are at 1000% health and power then the heals and power the Healer and Troll are handing out do more for other members of your team. If everyone stays alive and keeps shooting at stuff it all dies faster and the TEAM wins.

Let us discuss, as Raven did, objectives and rezzing team mates. I'll use the classic example of the Intergang Crime Wave. If you take the attitude that clicking on the consoles is NOT your job let the troll and healer do that. Well guess what I can't fire off heals and click on consoles at the same time so you MAY die because i am clicking the letter E on my laptop not one of my heals when you take a pile of damage from Bruno. Same thing with that lovely attitude about rezzing the team mate that is at your feet. If my healer gets killed trying to get across a room full of bad guys to rez some one then not only is that player still dead so am I and I can not heal anyone anymore. Try taking a whole three seconds to click that guy and get him beck in the game. AGAIN... the more team mates that are alive the more damage the team does and the less damage YOu take because everything is defeated.
    • Like x 9
  3. Proxystar #Perception

Actually.

Mechanics are there for all players to do, it's just whether strategically it's better for a dps player to do it.

This means that healers are not exempt from undertaking a mechanic simply because they're a healer nor are they exempt from doing a pickup when it is impossible for someone else too

A good healer will consider all of that in the moment and where necessary undertake the mechanic doing otherwise can possibly result equally in failure where that otherwise wouldn't have occurred had they not been so stubborn.

What's really important is that everyone understand they are a part of the team, a cog in the machine but sometimes different cogs may have to switch out or put in a bit of a carry while another cog comes right.

I agree with your general sentiment that people need to be more responsible for their own survival and positioning however and there is certainly some merit in the saying "you can't heal stupid".

People do need to be generally more aware of their surroundings and when they can melee or have to range etc.

In terms of tanking you've said crap tanks dropping like a stone, somewhat agree but remember some of the NPC hits are pretty horrific at times so it's going to happen (although that's not really what you're saying) and also fire tanking is a pain the *** and that type of tanks health will likely spike more than other tank powers, so equally so if you're healing fire tank, be gentle ;)
    • Like x 4
  4. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

I agree with everything but the same could be said for healers who don't know what a shield is expecting everyone else to carry one just because is pointless. Also the reverse, healers who just spam shields and call it a day. There are bad players in all roles
    • Like x 8
  5. Proxystar #Perception

100% agree, healers that blow through power healing when no one is taking damage, over healing or spamming their shields "just cause", plenty of bad healers as well.
    • Like x 2
  6. Brit Loyal Player

Bad players come in all flavors.

I primarily serve as a healer. I'll own it as my fault for basically any death that happens within my range. I save my shields for those big skull attacks because the rest of the group doesn't have a Shift button on their keyboard, and I have my 160 Demon's Fang to increase power regen so that I can heal you while you stand in the middle of that huge spray of fire, comboing to your heart's content. I'll own it all; that was the job that I signed up for. No different then Controllers who have to feed the most power-hungry rotations of DPS, or Tanks blowing extra money on sodas and repairs. If I wanted a job with less pressure, I would have made myself a Precision DPS.

But I am tethered to the Tank. If you run ahead of the Tank and get killed away from the rest of the group, that's on you. I cannot be in two places at once, and if the Tank dies, the raid probably wipes. So if you want to run ahead of the Tank and out of our range, that one's not my fault. My four year old understands what a circle looks like; if you can type, then I believe in you and I know that you can manage to get yourself to the circle that the other 7 members of the raid all had no problem finding. I will not abandon six other people to die so that I can chase the suicidal DPS while he tries to aggro the entire zone on his mission to fight stuff the Tank hasn't engaged yet.

Typically it's a self-resolving problem though. If they die enough times, then the rest of the DPS passes them by due to all their dead time. And once they start to lag down the scoreboard, eventually they give up on trying to AE the entire zone at once.
    • Like x 4
  7. Ryuvain2 Level 30

Hate it when you're solo healing and no one else is doing mechanics. Also shouldn't dps carry shields regardless since they're invaluable for pick ups? I always have shield on my dps.
    • Like x 5
  8. Darth Piper Loyal Player

This is where a tank carrying Mass Shadow Concoction can teach some of these DPSes a hard lesson. Tanks, warn your healer(s) about it first or they may have a TV or computer screen full of beverage. :)

That “priority heal”? Yeah, it’s primarily meant to help keep the tank alive... not the scoreboard chasers.

That’s because most of even the reg raids are actually NOT meant for solo healers who don’t have top gear, high augments, high artifacts, and as many SP as possible. Just go two healers and watch more people survive, reducing the number of pickups that need to be done.
    • Like x 1
  9. Tainted0Love Well-Known Player

the healers only job is to keep the tank alive. If DPS/Troll gets some health that's a bonus.

DPS stop being stupid.
    Trolls your only job is to keep the healer powered.

Tank, if anyone dies it's your fault.
    (EDIT: Exception is when the DPS does something dumb.)
  10. Mobius Twist Active Player

Long-time healer.

The comments posted above are common healer concerns in all games. I don't think the intent is to do a 'You must play this way' as much as a 'I can't do anything if you play that way' type of post, and it is also less a 'You must play this way' as it is a 'Don't yell at me because I can't always keep you up', which is the real intent of the post. It's easy to get salty when someone wants to get in your face over missing one save, but failing to see the 23 other amazing saves you did, and THAT individual is usually a prima donna.

As a long-time healer in many different games, I have some viewpoints I would like to share:

1) Line of sight is a team effort. I *will* try to keep everyone within line of sight but please meet me half-way. I will not, however, chase you down. I will stick with 1) tank, 2) largest group, 3) group I am currently with.

2) I will TRY to pick you up, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. I will shield, spam a few big heals (especially HOTs), and then try to get you. This usually means I am at the last 1/4 of the timer. This is a problem due to interrupts/knockback effects, but that's just the way it is.

3) I absolutely try to manage mechanics when I can. Understand that mechanics are multi-tiered. There are the encounter mechanics, there are tank mechanics, and there are healing mechanics. I have my own mechanics to handle. Is a big attack about to trigger that I need to pre-shield/heal spam through? I might not have time to go click an anvil for the encounter mechanics. The more DPS can pick those up the better, but always remember that I have a layer of events that are specific to my role as well.

4) Damage mitigation (like aggro mitigation) is also everyone's job. What prior posters are trying to say is not, "You need to heal yourself" as much as, "Be aware I may need some help from your end." I would say that if you should have Soder, and you should have some sort of supply drop, and if you catch yourself getting spike damage stop attacking and throw the block. Help give me a chance to catch you.

I would like to address something that is a big concern to me, and TechWarrior hit on that: the person rushing the instance. I don't think it is poorly intended; they are usually high-level characters that can solo. I also think it has become a sort of norm for experienced players, but us Johnny-come-lately are having a hard time with it, as we've been left behind to die to the mobs. We also want to enjoy the content too; this is level-appropriate for us and we'd like to experience it. Loot is good, but its the gameplay we're here for. I'm not going to ask you to not rush; I am going to ask you to announce it so the rest of us know what to expect and can rush with you instead of thinking we need to manage the mobs.

We all come into the game with our own individual expectations, desires and points of view. Each one of those is absolutely 'the correct way to play', but understand you may have to give a little to increase your chance of success in group/team events. To paraphrase Saana Lathan/Alexa Woods from Alien vs Predator, "My job is to keep you alive, and I am going to need some help to do it."
    • Like x 6
  11. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Well, they also have to keep themselves alive. Problem is, sometimes the DPSes and controllers have to actually do something about it too... not just the healer in question or the tank(s).

You didn't and can't say that loudly enough. That alone is a significant reason why teams will fail an attempt at a boss.

Tank(s) too. They can't pull, taunt, or mitigate damage without power.

And that is the scoreboard-chasing DPS attitude in a nutshell.

Sometimes the boss is scripted to dump aggro and go after someone (frequently the furthest person away from the boss), and unless you as the target of that attack do what you can to mitigate that damage, it's entirely your fault. Tanks can get overwhelmed if they don't get the requisite help from the DPSes (kill adds... or ignore them, per the tank's instructions & instance mechanics, when they need to be kept away from the boss to be killed... or getting up under the boss's junk so you can melee him and at the same time stealing the tank's priority heal), the controller (group stuns, damage out debuffs), and the healer (group shields, HOTs, priority heals, etc).
    • Like x 1
  12. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I recently played the metal alert with a tank that had to have been full dps geared. 13 MILLION in heals to him alone. I didn't say anything, kept him alive. Usual run, I'm around 3mil, "poor runs", 6mil. He went down a few times but we managed. Then I put him on my ignore list. Some people have played the role and get it and how to help. Others just really don't understand the game and/ or aren't listening. I don't know how to build a tank so I didn't comment other than, holy moly I look at your stats.
    As far as soloing raids, I've done MoM and false a few times. Its horrendous and just sooooo much easier with 2 but yeah, everyone thinks you don't know what you're doing if you can't solo heal. I did it water and sorcery and I can promise you, it was all about the group. Smart pug groups are hard to come by but they do happen. My advice, get on voice chat. Rarely do you meet a toxic talker, that's more of the keyboard warrior mindset.
    Only other advice, find a good league. I still haven't but it makes this game so much easier/ more fun
  13. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Also, just act like the group boss. When we go 3 dps 1 heal into the Bane fight in metal alert, the adds only attack the healer and no dps person realizes that. I'll always ask for a tank there and if no one switches then if we wipe, it's their fault. Can it be done without tank, sure but it means I'm running circles around the map running for my life instead of healing.
    • Like x 5
  14. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I only really expect HoTs from my healers, I have ways of mitigating and recovering from big hits.
    • Like x 2
  15. ALB Dedicated Player

I hate that fight with no tank. It's horrible with bad burn. Literally had 10 adds on me once. Nature with form changes is the only time it's a breeze.
  16. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

i refuse to run the metal canisters in MoM.

Its obvious the metal raids make fun of scoreboard chasing. Even with the sunblade padding up numbers to the extreme there are dps who want to do nothing except pad their numbers more by attacking as many dark robins as possible. The moment i touch that cog or have it passed off to me the healer immediately drops to zero power, the tank dies, the healer goes down i go down and then all the dps go down...swinging at as many robins as possible because DPS. Then everyone starts crying...

if you're solo in a raid...be it controller, healer or tank you should be "less exempt" at performing mechanics. this of course does not mean never perform any mechanics ever especially in cases where its needed to progress but overall its the dps that should be running metal canisters and oxygen tanks and digging for golem bones. maybe introduce a new mechanic where performing those mechanics gives you a damage buff for a few moments...

i've been playing long enough that i can gauge a healer just by running with them for a few minutes. you have to appreciate a good healer who can manage their power bar. nothing worse than a healer who drops to zero and stays there. its as bad as controller who dont throw power or tanks that drag ads away from you just as youre about to hit them...
    • Like x 2
  17. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Babe doesn't "always" attack the healer only. He might initially try to jump the healer, but every group I'm in, if a DPS is putting in enough damage, Bane will swich his focus to that DPS over everyone else if there is no tank. Same thing for the first boss in the instance too.
    • Like x 2
  18. Darth Piper Loyal Player

If it comes to "take it or it causes a wipe" and we are really close to finishing, I will... especially in elite. Beyond that, yes... no healer should be running the metal.

I am so with you on this. One of my favorite features of the MoM raid. :)

In our elite runs, the troll is the stand-by in case of a chain or to take it the last 5-10 yards. The troll should never have it longer than a few seconds, and if the healers and tanks can't manage for 5-10 seconds then they have other issues. In reg, yeah I agree. There are plenty of DPSes who can carry it.

I like that idea... only problem is that in MoM right now if you run the metal your supercharge bar gets wiped out.

You describe a symptom (power bar drops to zero quickly and stays there) that is nearly always explained by one or more of the following:
    1. Healer has low SP, thus resulting in a power bar that is too small
    2. Spamming heals when not needed (aka "overhealing")
    3. Orb of Arion at level 80 or higher and have not made adjustments to play style and hitting the priority heal as if you don't have it
    4. Someone in the group is using the Reserve Tank chest mod and is effectively usurping one of the three power dump slots from the healer
    • Like x 1
  19. Irvynnge Loyal Player

so much this. I don't think I've ever outright blamed a healer when I've died, ever. I know how to block, I know how to get out of the way, I got a shield, I got sodas. just keep me topped up from time to time & I'll be alright. same with controllers. I got power-backs, mate, I'm good. you worry about the tank fella. I try to be as little a drain on any of the group as possible.
    • Like x 1
  20. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I don't mean bane himself, he leaves us alone. Every single add, especially porter, go straight for the healer. Just did it again today. Tank switched to dps, idk why, and my god I was the only one being hit. Had to use all my power, every heal, soda, and supply drop and I was dang close to dead by the end. The other 3 just stayed on bane
    • Like x 3