Every decent name is taken

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Scorch Bomb, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

same way i feel. i choose to have my own original ideas and concepts, i get a better feeling when im complimented on my style, and not something that already exists as a real character that i decided to cosplay and get praised for as if i created it lol.
    • Like x 1
  2. Mobius Twist Active Player

First, a thesaurus is your best friend. Also consider words that imply something but are not a specific synonym on their own. I wanted Midnight Rose, obviously taken. Vespers is a religious service of afternoon/evening, so using that Vesper Rose was available. Sometimes you may need to make a letter change to make things fit, but make that part of your character. My Red Lantern is named Kardinal Krush. I'm okay with the K - for some reason it makes me think Russian and now in my mind he speaks with an accent.

Also, think comic book tropes and consider using adjectives. Again, thesaurus (found cardinal when looking up synonyms for red). Kid, King, Queen, Lord, Lady, Mistress, Ms, Boy, Girl … Orca was taken, but Kid Orca was available. Boom!

Finally, try to find a theme that works with everything. Dr. Mobius has been a long time favorite of mine, but it's taken here. What if I make him a villain instead? Oh - a Mobius is a strip of paper with a twist in it. Mobius Twist. It also indicates something might be 'wrong' with him. A mobius is single-sided … he only considers his own side in everything, everyone else be damned! Super villain! Wooooo! In other words, be willing to go where the names and ideas take you and don't be so stuck on "My character has to be named this!!"
    • Like x 1
  3. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Like that super fresh meme you stole your response from. If we came back in a year it'd be seven years aged, that's entry level for acceptable Scotch.

Also, not for nothing, it seems like a majority of the posts complaining about name availability tend to be complaining about locked, iconic name availability - you never see a dude naming their characters after the stuff you'd see in a fantasy novel complaining about the lack of characters. Rune Hammerfiend isn't iconic, but it is unique, it sounds cool, and it took five seconds to come up with... as opposed to, say, the 47,549th variation on Batman. We all know that |||xxXxxB@TM4NxxXxx||| is the Batmanliest, and he was only 12,382nd.
    • Like x 1
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I can understand how it can be somewhat mystifying, and personally I've never tried making straight-up copies (the furthest I go is mash-ups of characters LOL) but for some people that's just what they want to do.

Way back in the day, in one of the first episodes of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, the main character is being taken on a tour of Foster's, which is also used as a way of introducing all the various kinds of imaginary friends in the show's world. As they're going along, among all the very creative friends is the main nemesis of the Powerpuff Girls, Mojo Jojo. As they focus on him, the tour guide says in a friendly but matter-of-fact manner, "And some people just copy what they see." There was no real judgement in the tone or the moment, just an acknowledgement.

Since then I've always kept that kind of mindset about players who do copies. That's just how they want to roll, and there's nothing wrong with that, really.
    • Like x 2
  5. the solowing Steadfast Player

I see your point..But i also see theirs. Since we dont have separate servers the name pool simply gets smaller as a whole over time
    • Like x 1
  6. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

"That I stole"....and I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that pesky Kimone! What if I told you that it was part of the point? Oops, guess i'm a kleptomaniac.

You poke fun at people not being 'creative' in a game. I poke fun at you for uncreative responses. No stones in glass houses they say....damn, at it again. Some find it weird people aren't more 'creative' in the specific task of choosing a name which they have deemed of subjective importance, I find it weird how seriously people seem to judge people for it (judging by the comments). Like sure dislike a name whatever, but people act like they don't wanna associate with someone with a name like that.....in a game. Maybe i'm just getting old and grumpy, stuff like this is just bizarre to me.
  7. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Oh yeah; which is an issue, granted - still, I guess I'm remembering a few weeks ago when there was a guy on the Forum here complaining about the fact that someone else on the PC server used the same form of special character name exploit he did to end up with the "Batman" name, losing his mind over the fact that someone was so uncreative as to use the same name - like, really?

Like, if you wanna be Batman, be Batman - by all means. But you're not allowed to complain when everyone else also wants to be Batman, because Batman's not your personal property. Unless your name is Bill Finger or Bob Kane, then by all means.
  8. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

See above, or below -

Also, Batmanliest is pretty creative, for a terribly derivative name :p.
  9. Yochanan32 Well-Known Player

I made a character with the name "HuntressofMars" a play on Huntress and Miss Martian grown-up with Huntress's attitude. Think DC amalgam universe combos. New characters and new names.
    • Like x 1
  10. Irvynnge Loyal Player

absolutely. like I say, it's their game, they play it how they want to play it. it's all good. for me, the fun comes from all the making stuff up stuff.
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, now I feel a little bad, I gotta backtrack a bit on the Foster's reference. :oops: I found the clip on YouTube and it turns out they do kinda throw a little shade. LOL

I had forgotten that the Mojo friend was the "unimaginative one." Still, Wilt's comment at the end pretty much sums it up. "What're you gonna do?" :D
    • Like x 2
  12. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Someone should make one named Except Troll. Then whenever someone says “glf all roles except troll”, you could respond every time.
    • Like x 2
  13. the solowing Steadfast Player

Nice, making a point while getting to re-live growing up xD
  14. Drathmor Unwavering Player

If you can't get a name your just unoriginal or as the younger people say "Basic"
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Grow up? I may grow older as the years past, but I don't think I'm ever going to really grow up. After all, you're talking to someone who plays a game that lets him be a super hero on a daily basis. :D

Besides that, I've always been a fan of animation, so anything on Cartoon Network or Nick can catch my attention, and the good stuff sticks.
    • Like x 1
  16. Zneeak Devoted Player

While a lot of cool names are already taken, there's still other cool names to be had. I just think that people have become so taken by this silly one-word "OG Name"-trend that it clouds people's creativity in making up a name beyond of that standard. Guess what? That's how you rob yourself out of a lot of cool names.

If you get a little creative, there's cool one-word names to be had still, even more so with the two word-names.

The most wanted and the most obvious of names have obviously been taken, possibly long ago considering the amount of years that the game have been live. No amount of Name reclaims in the world are going to free up those types of names for everyone unless you are expecting the Developers to outright rob others of those names just to make them free to grab for others. Even if they did that, these types of names would still be grabbed so fast that people would be right back here on the forums to cry about yet another Name reclaim due to not being fast enough to grab them.

One could think that "get creative" is a copout response on the matter, but it's really that simple. I managed to get two new names not that long ago for two of my toons that to my surprise was still available, because people are apparently not branching out enough and instead seem to get hung up on the most popular and obvious names already being taken. Get creative!
    • Like x 2