Acquiring Op items or should I say not.....

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by CrappyHeals, Oct 11, 2019.

1. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

I don't think you understand the capacity of a player like me who is able to buy 5000+ dark electrums. There is no supply unless I allow it. If you need 40+ electrums to do your breakthrough's, you will go in content and run it yourself if I feel like it. The same way I can force you to run the solo by clearing out the Luthor's for the day.
  2. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Marketplace
    • Like x 2
  3. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

Thou shall open thy wallet to noone but me or Daybreak :D
  4. Proxystar #Perception

I don't necessarily support a cash wipe either, I just don't care; is the difference I guess. I understand what you're saying in that it won't fix the issue resulting from poor drop rates, but then again denying there isn't somewhat of a problem with the economy itself that it detrimentally impacts upon the game enjoyment of many, if not actually the majority, of players is probably denying the reality of it.

I understand some people like economics etc, but I'd hazard a guess the 'bulk' of people that play this game don't log in to play DC themed monopoly ;)
    • Like x 2
  5. Proxystar #Perception

That's his point though and you're only serving to reinforce it, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should or even have too, his point is if you've got so much money you're never going to struggle then hoarding even more currency simply to "control" supply and demand to the detriment of others all for the purpose of self greed, is arguably pretty toxic, especially in the context of something like a video game.

It's possibly at a point where doing so is only now being done, because you can and an element of self satisfaction is being derived from the fact you know you're making people pay more than they naturally otherwise would have had you left the market alone.
    • Like x 2
  6. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

I'm pretty sure most people know what and how a economy works but what your missing is people are sick of the ridiculous prices myself included. If something isn't done its only going to get worse and worse like it does every dlc or time capsule.

All I want is some OP collections but the drop rates are terrible and I'd like to see that changed. I'm not really sure why this thread blew up into a economy class and complaints.
    • Like x 3
  7. Hraesvelg Always Right

The problem seems to stem from "I want something I don't have" which is a fundamental constant in all animal life on the planet, LOL. It's all in about how things are distributed. If they remove all trading/broker/etc and everyone has to just put in a particular grind for something, that's one way. It'd take a fundamental reworking in how loot is distributed. For the record, I didn't mind the JLD dark OP process after the Elite items were able to drop. If that's the way going forward, bully for it. The high-end market would focus on old auras and mats, I'm sure.

The game has a way to bypass a lot of that slog via economics. But that's the thing...the "problem" with the economy is that people want things now. Instant gratification. The "dissatisfaction" is that you can't keep up with the Jonses. It's also sticker shock. People see a lot of zeros and that's hard to think of in concrete terms. It takes a bit of abstract thinking to realize things hold value that are relative to each other. We can certainly find ways to cut back on the inflationary numbers, but like I said...the underlying "problem" of people wanting things and not having them isn't going to be changed by a reset.

You can either flog the RNG or work the market. The market is completely in addition to getting things via pure RNG. Hell, it even opens up opportunities to get things from time caps without spending real world cash and out of print items.

I'm pretty sure most people DON'T judging by a lot of these recent threads about the economy. And you're talking about the supply side of a market which has been hotly talked about a lot lately, that's why it sort of went on a slight tangent. These do seem to be staying a bit higher priced for longer, but that appears to be some manipulation by a few bad actors, which would NOT BE AFFECTED by a cash wipe or reset. It'll eventually happen again with less zeroes.
    • Like x 2
  8. Illumin411 Loyal Player

THIS ^^^

AND THIS^^^
  9. Dwild Well-Known Player

At present, the 4th collection for the first piece of the three you need to unlock Robins Gift...the damaged lapel squirter one is going for 250 million bucks on the broker...so that's THE super rare one on the first piece. I somehow finished the 2nd piece first (but I'm running 4 toons and give all the drops to my primary main so he gets all the goodies first. Haven't even seen a drop from the 3rd collection yet..probably have to get it off Epic raids or something. Another case of DC Universe Roulette Awards Plan in action...hit double 00 three times in a row on the same raid for the thing to drop...or sell enough stuff to buy your way to glory. If only you got a smidge of return on the long climb upwards.
  10. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

tbh they should remove feat from op item & make it a dropped item for tryhards again. nobody loses. u want it, run the content. cant get it? no feat anyway. as far as droprates go, i havent had that experience. but i use a team of 12 alts. so ive gotten 49 leo's, 6 lapel & 5 luthor. alts are pretty much the key. got my neck without any resets for collections
    • Like x 3
  11. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I'm going to get hate for this idea but I believe the way OP items should work is this:

The item itself is in the Vendor. It cost 375 marks. It has one single requirement. You cannot buy it until you have a full set of Elite gear which will essentially make the requirement a CR restriction. If players cannot achieve this CR while the episode is current then they will be able to acquire the OP item once the next episode is released and they surpass the CR requirement for the OP item. This means they will still be able to utilize the item for one full episode before it is out dated and they will be able to achieve the feat of obtaining it.

No more ridiculous drop rates. No more ridiculous collections or catalyst on the broker. Just a straight forward grind that rewards players at the end of it by allowing them to purchase the most cherished and OP item of that episode.
    • Like x 6
  12. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

I like this
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

^This. Just let us buy it outright when he hit max CR. No more collection chasing, no more playing the broker.
  14. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

I still miss the starro method of op items T_T
  15. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

i love the idea..not the method. Unlike myself..tons of people dont run elite. So a full set of either should be required....hopefully they read this thread and rethink the OP item train wreck. Whatever they do...COLLECTIONS ARE NOT THE WAY!
    • Like x 2
  16. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Well it wouldn't have to be a full set of Elite but the requirement for being able to purchase the OP item would be the CR that you acquire once you have a full Elite set. So technically you would not be required to ever get Elite gear, however, if you did not you would have to wait until the following episode before you are able to surpass the CR requirement required to purchase the OP item. The OP item should remain the ultimate "carrot" that players are chasing in a episode. I feel like making it as easy to acquire from just getting a regular set of gear would trivialize the prestige of the item. That being said, collections and RNG trivialize it currently.
    • Like x 1
  17. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

This game has so many different currencies to begin with that it's hard to keep track of what costs what. Somethings are Cash, some are "Collections" some are Marks or some other special currency connected to specific content. Not to mention all the IRL cash that sometimes the game demands you drop for specific things. DCUO's economy is and has been broken for a long long time. Item Drop Rates are nerfed in such a way that the game almost demands the average player drop money on stabilizers in order to open lootboxes for items to sell in order to have the in game cash needed to just buy something from the Broker. With legislation in the U.K. the EU and the U.S. all focusing on lootboxes and predatory microtransactions. They can't keep this system going long.

As I have been saying for a while. Everything in the lootboxes, all of it, should be placed in the Cash Shop for direct single item purchase, if they want to make it per character they can, don't see a problem there. However this RNG super low drop rate bull is going to do one of two things. If the Legislation comes down with a minimal timetable for implementation this game and many other F2P MMO's are dead. If they start now, migrating all those lootbox items to a section in the cash shop for "Limited Time" items that are either character bound or Account bound with the ability to reclaim on all characters, they might get in under the door. If the Legislations comes down with a demand for a end of lootbox use and "Predatory" microtransactions immediately, the game closes the servers the day the law goes into effect and DCUO like City Of Heroes goes to sleep till the Source Code gets released. Which being a licenced product it more than likely never will.

But if it's dropped in their lap with only 3-6 months to make the change the games also dead. Simple as that. They would have to get in a larger team to work on the game to make the change in time and I don't see Daybreak hiring basically entire new dev teams to rework all their existing games which use different engines, code bases and programming languages. It would end up being hundreds of people short term with dozens having to remain for a period for bug fixes and maintenance of the new systems till their stabilized. DB won't foot that cost, I don't think any studio would. So they need to start making that transition now with their small teams on their existing games, yes it will slow down content releases significantly short term, long term things will get back to normal with in a year. So they need to start working on this transition now.

I know what I'm suggesting sounds foolish on its face. As most people think nothing's going to happen. However the pressure is mounting. Kotaku posted a article recently citing a player for a Mobile Transformers based Phone game who had spent over $220,000 on microtransactions on that one single game. And another who had spent over $90,000 on Runescape. The pressure is mounting and the legislative bodies of the world are taking notice and will at some point take action. That you can be assured of.
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Taxes? It sounds like y'all want to pay taxes.
    • Like x 4
  19. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

Make tax brackets. I'll pay taxes if you sign in and spawn stuff for people to kill and upon death of the npc's, it drops a % of the total amount collected by players for that week so the money is redistributed. Or you could collect the money, buy items from the broker, and then do giveaways on stream as daybreak sees fit.
  20. Jurandyr Ross Well-Known Player

Money problem? Make it so every item can only be traded/mailed/put on broker once, it becomes account bound afterward. Let the resellers stop ruining the market.

OP items? Make them a rare drop like in Prime Battleground and remove the feat.
    • Like x 1