Time for another.

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by xAcHieVeD, Sep 24, 2019.

1. recoil2 Dedicated Player

you hit the nail on the head in answering your own question in your response to my post, as did raven roth's. the reason they're leaving "us" in the dark is because for the most part we're unreliable not to mention any time anything goes off schedule when they announce it everybody riots like with the legends skins fiasco a few years ago. if and/or when they do initiate a PVP update they'll likely take a concensus through a poll as to how to go about it to avoid last times mistake. it's not hard to see why the devs don't exactly have a lot of "trust" with the community on PVP given whats happened last time. but like i said, they're working on weapons and stuff and have an improved bug tracking thread now to more effectively register and work on glitches and errors, they're just slowly getting to PVP/other technical issues. as the saying goes "patience is a virtue, all good things to those who wait.".
    • Like x 1
  2. recoil2 Dedicated Player

also to say games like battlefront, destiny 2, and fortnite don't make money off their PVP is inaccurate; i believe even with the "free" promotion of destiny 2 most people actually had to pay for it, along with some PVP skins(which those types of game usually have), buffs, etc and of course with those other examples people outright "bought" the game and or paid for season passes for PVP. they certainly do make money off their PVP modes.
  3. Azreaus Committed Player

And will the projected income from PVP Artifacts provide enough of a consistent ROI to warrant the time/resources needed to fix PVP? (given the small size of the PVP community I'd doubt it)

How would you feel about certain pieces of gear (like the Weapon, Buff Trinket and poss Rings and/or neck) needing to be leveled up as you go up thru the gear Tiers? (have a PVP only XP drop that will only be used for PVP gear and have a set Reagent cost per Breakthrough (using the Breakthrough Reagents that are currently used in the game for PVE Artifacts))
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Why stop there? New PvP currency, throw it on the MP.
  5. Azreaus Committed Player

I personally wouldn't go that far, but if you want them to fix PVP you need to show that the revenue flow is there and it's both consistent and large enough to make the case for spending their limited time/resources on PVP financially appealing to the higher ups.
  6. Brit Loyal Player

There will never, ever be agreement within the playerbase of what counts as "balance". Players that insist that they cannot play PvP while waiting for something that will never exist. Look at League of Legends or Overwatch (two of the largest PvP games going today): are all characters perfectly balanced? Nope. You adjust to the meta and take it how it is.

What PvP needs most right now is a CR102 gear set. Release one of those and people will go back to playing. Right now, the people willing to PvP just have nothing left to earn. And everybody crying "unplayable" is never going to be happy anyways.
    • Like x 1
  7. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We would very much like to update PvP, but it's not half the game and many other things have priority right now.
  8. Revafall Well-Known Player

Then I'm interested in knowing where you guys see priorities for pve, because you have done a stats revamp and now done weapon update, what is more important now than fixing an aspect of the game that is completely broken, apart from monetizing pve even further?

Pvp IS half the game and the reason you say otherwise is because you base it on current numbers of players that don't play it right now and the reason why it's not half the game is because it's so broken that nobody wants to play it until you fix it... Guys I don't even have my own business but DO have brain, logic and good problem solving skills! Good lord...
    • Like x 4
  9. CrescentMoon Well-Known Player

Just fixing that line since that's been used for over 2 years now. "Right now" is misleading. Assuming those two words won't disappear until time capsules and booster bundles are made illegal through legislation.
    • Like x 2
  10. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Considering how popular battle royal type games are right now, I'd imagine PvP should be pretty high up the list so you guys can attract those potential players...

Now I'm curious what future plans there are that take precedence over it.
    • Like x 5
  11. Arqueiro Robusto Well-Known Player

People WANT pvp to be worked on. You guys just continue to ignore it and the majority of the players have either gave up or just simply quit.

Population in the game plummeted with no pvp fixes.
    • Like x 3
  12. Arqueiro Robusto Well-Known Player

Well thread moved to dead forum. PvP threads moved to die.
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That's kind of an apples-and-oranges comparison, though. The PvP here has never been a battle royale kind of thing, so there's no guarantee that there'd be crossover with players who prefer that. Plus trying to make a battle royale version could end up being a situation where it's trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
    • Like x 1
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's not, though. Out of all the episodes/DLC that have been released, only one focused on PvP, even during the PvP heydays. New gear and content has for the most part come from PvE, again even during the heydays.

I fully understand that PvP is a large part of any game for some players, even viewed as half the game. But that doesn't mean that's actually the case, and from what I've seen over the years, through high times and low for PvP, the devs have never really focused half their efforts and resources on that part of the game.
  15. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I'm not saying they should make battle royal, my point was PvP is a pretty big deal in general these days. Players love fighting each other online, so why not try to capitalize on that and make PvP more appealing?
    • Like x 3
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

My own opinion? Because it tends to bring out the worst in people, or worse it brings in the worst people.

Even though I'm trying to avoid using stereotypes, all I can think of is the fits and childish arguments I see get thrown around when players duel in the HQs. I remember things like stories of players getting swatted as a result of a poor loser or poor winner, sometimes with tragic results. And I think about how bad my own behavior can get or has been on the occasions I've participated in PvP here and in other games.

This game has enough headaches and challenges to deal with. I'd question the need to either increase those headaches and challenges or add more to the mix.

I'd advocate making sure our house is in order and okay before trying to invite more people to the party.
    • Like x 1
  17. recoil2 Dedicated Player

what would your view be on the economic sustainability of say......"season passes" for PVP like fortnite and some other arena PVP games use?
  18. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

Comparing PvE & PvP like that is well, like you said, apples & oranges. PvP is fundamentally different in regards to gear, it is not needed as frequently, same goes for DLC's. You need a new set of gear ideally once a year and it is debatable if DLC's are even needed.

Last Laugh failing is not a reflection on PvP. It introduced new maps which feature PvE elements, a fact people often forget to mention when pointing to this as a reason for not focusing on PvP. Imagine if the next PvE DLC forced you to PvP even for some small portion of the DLC, there would be riots! New gear, new feats, new maps and if we want to be creative, leaderboard, lobbies & easy to make tournament brackets etc, there are loads of ideas for PvP that don't require a focused DLC.

I think it's unfair to be pedantic about someone using the the phrase 'half the game'. While it hasn't been this way for quite some time, you might remember when you made you character you were asked whether you would be placed into PvP or PvE environment. While it may not be half from a numerical stand point, it is clear that the developers thought of the game as two parts and encouraged players to decide upon their characters creation what part of the game they wanted to experience, so I think it is not unreasonable for people to describe the PvP as half the game. To put it another way, we know for a fact that Hero's outnumber Villains but it wouldn't be unreasonable for people to describe Villains as half of the playerbase.
    • Like x 2
  19. Azreaus Committed Player

Me personally? couldn't care less if the add season passes to PVP as I dislike PVP with an almost unholy passion, I was just trying to point out the reality that there needs to be a reason (money) for DBG to work on PVP ahead of other stuff that will bring in revenue.
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I get that some will view it as half the game, as well as others wanting to be half the game. But when I look back across the history of the game and where the devs have been focusing their efforts, I simply can't view things that way. PvE has gotten the lion's share of dev attention, plain and simple. Had there been significant, frequent PvP updates and additions to the game being done in tandem with all the PvE updates and additions, there'd be a stronger case to make for PvP being half the game.

Accurate terms and word use go a long way towards getting some constructive and hopefully fruitful discussions to take place. You can call it being pedantic if you like, but it still doesn't change the fact that calling PvP half the game when most of the additions have been centered on PvE means the statement isn't accurate. At best it expresses the sentiment of that player, but those sentiments aren't always an accurate reflection of what the situation is in the game.

And unfortunately that means your example about Villains doesn't quite work either. The Villain faction is one half of the equation in the game. Villain-side content, even when it basically plays out the same as hero content, is half the game. But that doesn't mean Villains are half of the playerbase when, as you acknowledged, the numbers of Villain players are lower. It's a generalization at best, and not necessarily accurate or truly a reflection of the situation in the game.
    • Like x 1