A story telling device

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Critical Massacre, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Critical Massacre Committed Player

You’re changing your argument, first you said it’s too expensive, now you’re saying there is compelling story in game so it doesn’t need it. That’s a valid argument I was just addressing the money issue most people seem to be hung up on. The storylines are getting more complicated which means you have to get better at explaining the storyline. The Metal storyline is complicated and goes in some weird directions in the comic. The average player isn’t going to understand what’s going on without better direction in the game. People are upset about the reuse of maps in game. They reused the maps because it’s a part of the story but people don’t think it’s necessary because the story doesn’t make sense to them and they feel like the game designers are just being lazy. I understand they are trying to tell the story so the places are used purposeful but the average player obviously doesn’t get that or they’d be saying “I hate going back to the Batcave but I understand its critical to the storyline”. Instead most people say ” I hate going back to the batcave but it’s in the comics so I get it” well that means the comics explain it but the developers haven’t. People may have a loose grasp of what’s going on but it’s mostly lost on them. The dlcs all have huge pieces of story in them but they have a tendency to lack cohesion that yes something simple like a small narrative could easily fix. I’m suggesting a method that they have used in the past but to just better use it for story purposes. If you think their story telling is so great then please explain to me your villains role in Dark and how they went from helping Tala and Felix to battling them?
  2. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

No, I'm responding to your changing your argument. First you simply said that you wanted the old end-instance animations back, then you switched to "there's no story" as part of an "the only way to tell a story is with the particular animation style once used for under-level 30-missions" argument that I keep pointing out makes no sense whatsoever. There are, I repeat, an infinite number of ways to convey a story. (I also failed to mention Oracle/Calculator's many voice-overs.)

I don't really play villains, so you'll have to get their stories from someone else. Ask me about a hero's side story, and I can help you out.

I hadn't read any of the Metal comics prior to the DLC being announced, and I'm still only about half-way through, for what it's worth. I was dubious at first, but have liked some of what I read. I don't have a strong overall opinion yet about the comics story. But it's a bit overboard on the "dark and gritty" side for my taste, so far.
  3. ChowlinShicken Active Player

With regards to villains... it makes perfect sense if you understand that the society is really nothing but a bunch of back-stabbing frenemies "working" together out of convenience (while waiting for the perfect opportunity to betray everyone :) )

Even as far back as vanilla DCUO... Circe sends you to smack down Faust, Riddler snitches on Joker... who then sics Deathstroke on Riddler... while trying to cheat Deathstroke out of his money... Grodd is basically openly plotting to turn everyone into gorillas... Joker has you bring down Bane just for giggles...

...and yet, everyone plays nice while in the HoD.

In later DLCs (spoilers ahead), future Lex Luthor cheats... himself...

Tala turns Riddler and Joker into giant bats...

Calculator basically takes over Lexcorp...

So yeah. Fighting Tala and Faust only to take missions from them 2 minutes later? Just a normal day in the world of villains :)
    • Like x 2
  4. Critical Massacre Committed Player

I like it, I have to justify stories in game also to make the make sense. It often feels like the main hero’s are doing all these crazy things while my guy is just chillin in the watchtower then they ask me to come beat up some dude with them and I’m like ok, go do it then it’s over. It’s like being in some crazy gang and I feel like some mere pawn in a larger gang war.