DCUO on Switch

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, Aug 26, 2019.

1. BumblingB I got better.

So, I got a chance to try out DCUO on the switch this weekend. My step mom has a switch and so while she was out and I was watching my dad. I was like lets see. I downloaded the app and opened it up.

I got to say, I'm impressed on the changes for beginners. The character designer UI got a slight change. It is a little bit more easier to adjust things with. (I've not made a new character in a long time.) I really like the tutorial changes. I remember the original version, the counters one that was terribad, the nerfed one floor one, and now this version. Its definitely more immersive that we now fight along side Sups and then later GL and Flash. I really wish I had this when I started, I made so many new characters that this is a nice touch. (Though I wish since I was tech, it was Batman and family.)

As for gameplay on the switch, it's pretty much the same as any console controls, only the start menu is a little harder to figure out and the bumper buttons are very close together. I was starting to cramp like no tomorrow, I've got rather large hands with longer fingers. It was not ideal. I don't think the controller dock would help a whole lot more. (But didn't get a chance to try either.)

Speaking of the UI, which again is not really the switch, but on all platforms. I think the update to the popup text is good, but can be a little TOO intrusive or maybe it's just too many happening consecutively. It is a big step up from that "HOLD SHIFT TO BLOCK" text that would be in the middle of your screen.

When it came to lag or what not, I got hiccups a few times here and there, but I'm not sure if that's related to the console or internet.

Overall, Devs, I got to hand it to you, this was a nice port to another platform. Now I just wish crossplay worked with it. Silly Sony and it's inability to play nice with others.
    • Like x 3
  2. High Troller Loyal Player

i liked how they redid most of the tutorial. i remember when the pc release first came out it took me 2.5 days to get off the ship.
    • Like x 1
  3. BumblingB I got better.

I was able to get off pretty quickly, but I do remember having issues with the movement mode part. I also remember when I learned what skill points were, my alts I made all got the barrel and hit count ones on there.
  4. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

You shouldn't be announcing that in public.

Jokes aside, if I had a switch I would love to start over. A bunch of new players so getting into low tier stuff would be a breeze, no jacked up broker prices, no one severely outclassing others and excluding them for MoAr Cr, a large availability of names, it honestly sounds like paradise.
    • Like x 3
  5. High Troller Loyal Player

you breezed through the original tutorial from jan 11, 2011? bravo. the struggle was real with acrobatics, especially after beating the first boss (spider looking one) and had a hard-time figuring out how to proceed (upper air vent and has to activate acrobat movement to spidey on up). then again, dcuo was my first mmo and playing video games that are newer than NES were foreign to me.
    • Like x 1
  6. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

It Kinda has a Dcuo classic vibe starting all over with No benefits from ritch mains on switch :)
    • Like x 5
  7. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Yea It caused me to level up with powers I never did before or at least in there current forms.
    • Like x 1
  8. Hraesvelg Always Right

So, are there actually any new players over there or just vets from the game hopping systems?
  9. BumblingB I got better.

I'm sure there is, it's only us that use the forums.
  10. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I'm surprised anyone had any issues with the tutorial. It was about as basic and straight forward as they come (even when they added in the counter mechanics part which they never should have removed). Although, as you stated, you didn't seem to be a big gamer and I had played games from Atari (been gaming since I was like 4 years old) all the way through PS3 before I started DCUO on PC. So pretty much anything that the game asked of me came instinctively.
  11. Ambush New Player

It actually was, reminded me of when I first started on ps3 days. Was actually fun leveling and playing with others and broker prices where actually affordable. I’m actually having a blast playing it. Got almost 200 hours in already lol.
    • Like x 2
  12. High Troller Loyal Player

I'm a much better player now that's for sure. A large number of players gave up at the first boss. The hits were harder too. I didn't give up though.

Basic to you wasn't entirely basic for many. I'm glad I stuck it out though.
    • Like x 1