Trinket and consumable functionality in duels

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MsTickle Fate, Aug 16, 2019.

1. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Mepps wrote:
    Which reminded me that I'm pretty vague on what trinkets and consumables do or do not function during duels.

Does anyone have anything resembling a comprehensive list?

I know almost everyone frowns on using more than weapon and powers in duels, and I'm not advocating people start indulging more promiscuously in use of trinkets or consumables in duels, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to know what's functional and what isn't, nevertheless.

And are there any items usable in PvP arenas and phase, but not in duels, or vice versa?

(For the record, I do smh at the way many people get absolutely hysterical when someone drinks a soda in a duel. Not doing so is a custom, not a rule, and I'm of the opinion that players shouldn't start screaming at each other unless rules are being broken.)

(Note: this does not mean I drink colas during duels (other than accidentally on occasion); I'm just bored with seeing people yell about it in shout.)

Digressively, it sure would be nice if we could buy all of these new trinkets from the Starter Packs just as a pack of their own. I'd pay $10 a trinket to get them, though I realize it's pretty unlikely DCUO would be interested in doing this. I'm just saying for the record.

I love good trinkets. (Although they're not much fun if they last for only five seconds or something really short like that.)
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I don't know if there's a comprehensive list anywhere, but most trinkets and/or consumables will usually have something in the description saying whether or not it can be used in duels/PvP.

As for the soders in duels, I always chuckle about people getting bent out of shape about that. I hardly ever PvP, but on the rare occasions that I do? I'm going to use everything at my disposal to help get a win, and I expect my opponent will do the same. Besides, if it's allowed by the devs, I say it's fair game for use.
    • Like x 3
  3. Proxystar #Perception

Most trinkets and consumables are disabled in arena's except for the soder and PVP breakout trinket

Most trinkets and consumables are enabled in open world PVP and dueling

that's the general rule of thumb.

People that don't want others to use consumables or trinkets in a duel are going by a self imposed honor system that can't actually be enforced upon the other participant and nor should there be an expectation beforehand that they're going to do so.
    • Like x 2
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

If you want a "fair" duel you have to send the scrim.
  5. myandria Item Storage

Agreed. I do not PVP anymore, mainly because of many players getting bent out of shape and making up rules when they are on the losing end.

Back in the old days, players would either go for broke or define what is/isn't going to be allowed BEFORE starting a duel/scrimmage. If someone had healing powers/devices, then I had to make sure that I put the hurt on that character so those heals were not effective and I could get that win.

Aside from that, as willflynne stated, trinkets will have in their description whether or not they can be used in PVP. Here is a partial trinket list from the wiki. https://dcuniverseonline.fandom.com/wiki/Trinkets
    • Like x 2
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Careful there, using phrases like "back in the old days" could easily lead to you yelling at kids to get off your lawn. :eek: :D

I've just never understood purposely hamstringing yourself when it comes to duels or PvP fights. For me it's a "red=dead" mentality when fighting in general, and that extends to fighting other players.
    • Like x 1
  7. Rainnifer Committed Player

Any time I hear someone complain about the other popping a soder, I'm baffled because I figure "If they popped a soda you can always pop one too, it evens it out anyways. What's the point of whining?"
    • Like x 1
  8. myandria Item Storage

LOL! A bit too late for that; not only do kids get off my lawn when I tell them too but also pick up the garbage that they carelessly drop in front of my house! ;);):D
    • Like x 2
  9. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

For what it's worth the 'soder ban' is sort of a relic of the past. Remember that soder extreme's being able to heal you (almost) fully are a somewhat recent change. Back then if you duelled a lot you could easily burn a lot of money buying soders, so for the most part the 'soder ban' was economic in principle.

For HQ duelling especially imagine being the person everyone wants to challenge, how many soders you could go through in a very short space of time. I even remember old videos of people pretty much saying if you want to duel them using soders it's fine but you have to give them a pack of soders. I think people have just forgotten the reason and only remember the 'unwritten rule' which is why it still persists, unnecessarily.

Secondly there are 3 main reasons to duel outside of simply improving your skills.
    1. For Clout
    2. For Feats
    3. For Fun

2. For Feats - If this is all you are after, you are wasting your time duelling, the time spent for the feats obtained from duelling are not worth it compared to the feats obtained from Arena's & Legends. Obviously if you enjoy it and have all the other feats so be it, but it pretty much should be last on your list if you are trying to get feats from PvP. You cannot progress (get PvP marks) or obtain styles via duelling so you are really not spending your time wisely if this is you're goal.

So the question you should ask yourself when duelling which might help prepare you for any response is, why are you doing this? If you want to duel someone to see if you are better than them at PvPing, well the only way to know that will be with a level playing field, or at least as level as you can reasonably get. Whether you admit it or not, if you are there for the clout, don't be surprised when you don't get the respect you feel you deserve when you don't play by the (unwritten) rules.

If you are there for any other reason, you do you, don't let yourself ever feel judged. If you want to spam the only thing that helps you win because you really hate it and you just want the feats and you'll stop, that's actually fine by me, it's good training to learning to deal with that for me.
  10. HELLLLLLPPME Well-Known Player

Reset PVP, put new map and add a monthly scoreboard with rewards.