Question about mark relevancy.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Perdition, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Perdition Committed Player

Sinds the devs threw their own arguement out of the window by adding source marks in the marketplace, why is this system still in place?

Before, they said they don’t want us to progress too fast. And now you can buy source marks straight up from the markeplace. So its not ok for the players to progress fast naturally, but its ok for them to buy it straight from the marketplace and skip full dlc’s? I do not see the logic in that, but that could be all on me perhaps?
  2. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

Umm...

Because without CR relevancy there would be no need to sell marks in the marketplace. If your end level character could go into the lover level content and farm marks, then there would be no need to buy them. Selling marks in the marketplace is a way for the devs to generate income for the game and it gives players a choice of how they want to obtain marks. I personally will not buy them, but there are others who will spend that money. They are not cheap, either, so I cannot imagine a lot of players buying them just to level up faster; you will get more mileage out of the Gotham Starter Pack and it only costs $10 USD.
    • Like x 3
  3. Perdition Committed Player

Indeed, without relevancy there wouldnt be a need to sell them. Why did they give us the arguement of “we dont want players to progress too fast” but now it’s okay if they just pay for it?

Edit: like you said they don’t have to, but where does stuff like this end then? Getting marks to get better gear was a core aspect of this game. Yet that has been thrown away now, for new players atleast.
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

They used that argument because it sounded good at the time. Now...when they put relevancy in (especially the latest round with the merger to 'source' marks on the episodic currency), did they know they would be adding marks to the MP? Maybe...well probably. Assuming they did, the real argument was "well we want relevancy so it makes purchase of the marks we are going to add more attractive to the buyers"....and I'm pretty sure we all would have whined and complained that much more.

Personally I don't care...I've got as many source marks as I can stand, but I do object to the practice in principle. You should not be able to buy progression....either with a 'jump to' token or buy buying marks. The game is easy enough to progress in already and that's one of the reasons end game players (newer end game players that is) don't know what they are doing, which makes the experience bad for both them and those who got there the old fashion way.

Reinheld
    • Like x 4
  5. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I mentioned it in another post about this...

History has shown when they do something like this it's because something is coming which will utilize it.

Meaning: Something which is going to take a LOT of marks may be released. So your choice will be grinding for 3-4 months or buy marks and then purchase it.
    • Like x 1
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You are unfortunately probably correct. Which is sad because whatever it will be will likely be something that is tied to SP, but not progression....so when we all start balking about it, they can always use the old 'Yeah...you don't HAVE to get it...it's optional' which we all know it is not if it's related to SP. Personally I'll stick to the grind.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  7. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Hi

Source Marks won't get you to endgame though.. you need the newer marks for that. AFAIK, the last three DLCs won't accept only source marks for gear.. I see it as a tool for leveling alts.

I don't use it personally.. but I could see if you wanted your trifecta up and so leveled your main for the style achievement, then just jump on your other two classes and unlock the feat to buy the gear cheaply, purchasing some Source Marks if you didn't feel like grinding. Won't get you to end game.. but closer..

For myself this makes little sense as I have too many alts to benefit from this.. but it's nice to have to option even to get generators up and running I suppose..

As a secondary thing, just to mention, I'd prefer if generators didn't cost marks for (subbed) members.. replacing the cells.. sure, but marks. no.
    • Like x 1
  8. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

[IMG][/IMG]
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Good theory. Because as it stands there is very little reason to purchase source marks directly. It is already very simple getting a new toon to end game. Artifact Catalysts? Less costly to buy the Packs from the MP. Quark conversion? It's cheaper to buy Stabilizers and open Time Capsules for Quarks.
  10. myandria Item Storage

Oh, no doubt; however, I'd rather grind and save marks. It's healthier for my wallet and sanity.
    • Like x 1
  11. Perdition Committed Player

Yh, i know the mark setup (been playing sinds it became f2p and seen most changes with the game) i’m around 900-1000 source marks myself, so its not like i need them either. I just dont see the point of having relevancy in place when they now sell them straight at the marketplace. That’s what im wondering about. But some people have pointed out a few examples to as in “why” they added them. Time will tell for the future i guess.
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'd liken buying Marks in the Marketplace to using Replay Badges to reset the Stabilizer Duo, in that it's not really worth it. Given the cost of the 200 Mark pack in the Marketplace (even with a subscriber discount) you're far better off earning the Marks running content than buying them, plus you get the added benefit of earning feats and learning aspects of the game. The cost really isn't worth the expenditure, especially if you're trying to use it to progress up towards endgame where there are different currencies. Between the Marks you get and all the scaling gear drops available (content, TCs, Vault) in content runs, buying Marks seems kinda pointless.

Wow I kept hammering on that point a bit there. :confused:

Anyhow, the devs have stated more than once that when it comes to players earning Marks (not buying them), they want them to run the content that's appropriate for their CR. Otherwise you've got players spamming easy mode content to get Marks for progression, which is pretty much bad design and possibly disruptive for the players at the lower CR range. Add in that no one's really put forward a compelling argument as to why they should get Marks for content they've outgrown (if you can take out the NPCs with weapon attacks, you really don't belong there LOL) and it could be said that the devs really haven't had a reason to revisit the topic.

I do have to ask, though: if you've got more Marks than you need or don't really need any that might drop from out-of-relevant content, why bring up the topic in the first place?
  13. Perdition Committed Player

Got most of the feats out of the way missing about 20-ish sp to reach max, not my point what i really tried to make. Also why wouldn’t i belong in older content? Till this day i still run ZooE, PanoE, etc.. for a chance to a rare drop, would it be so bad then if end game players will be rewarded 10 source marks (not counting the loot u can pick) to complete this stuff?

About the last section: The game just launched at the switch, do you really think its good design for new people to skip pretty much up till the DLC that came before titans (starro or earth3?) if they just smash their wallet to the marketplace and buy everything they need? The main reason i use source marks is to buy catalyst and Home Turf stuff. But if they really don’t want people to progress faster (except with replays, different subject) why did they add those in the first place. Some people put out their idea’s as in why they added them, and i’d love to see a dev’s point of view
  14. Proxystar #Perception

You've answered your own question.

Removing relevancy now undermines their marketplace, if they allow people to farm source marks for free why would they ever buy them?

I wouldn't hold out hope for a change., certainly not a massive one.
    • Like x 1
  15. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Had to correct that there because you're using a word that has zero meaning when the word you're actually looking for exists.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now on to the topic at hand...i'm not trying to insult you (or anyone else), but you're all being a bit dense on the subject at hand. Never mind the "possible" uses in the future that people have suggested, this whole thing is much simpler than that.

The whole point of relevancy was and still is to control our progress. With relevancy in place along with all of the content parameters, they know how long you have to play to achieve pretty much everything. Selling the marks in the MP is just another source of revenue to them.

"But if they don't want us to progress to fast (hence relevancy) then why are they undoing that by selling marks" you may ask...simple, they have never wanted us to get ahead for the base price we pay. That's why if you want to get geared up faster (which means rerunning content), Replay Badges. Want to open more than two Time Capsules a week, Stabilizers. Want to catch up on missing seasonal rewards or get even more of the latest and greatest seasonal rewards with minimal grind, Seasonal Currency. Now, want to get some gear/styles/base item boxes for your lower level toons but don't have enough content to grind for marks (or the patience to get there eventually), Source Marks in the MP. That simple, no contradictions to their previous statements, no sinister plans ahead, no need to scratch your heads wondering what the big mystery is.

Personally I don't care for it, but seeing as how replays have already existed in the game and can pretty much do give you similar advantages, what's there to cry about??? Me, i'll just continue to run the content and get things at a slower pace (and style unlock for my alts).

Also, many don't remember it, but there have been a few threads where people asked for Marks of Victory to be sold on the marketplace so that new or returning players could catch up faster on older gear and gear styles. They got their wish.
    • Like x 1
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The feats talk was more about players who might use the 200 Mark bundle to keep buying gear and bypassing content (and the feats that come along with that content), not anything you might have left. Might have been a bit of a muddled message there on my part.

As for why you don't belong there? Because you've effectively outgrown it. As an example, all but two of my active characters are at CR 150. That means I can enter any content at or below that CR, but any one of my CR 150 characters belongs in a Tier One mission about as much as the New England Patriots belong playing on a pee-wee football league field. They're more than qualified to go on the field, but it's below them to do so. They've outgrown it.

I didn't say you don't have a right to go into older content. As long as a player has access to content and meets the CR requirement for entering the mission, they have every right to go in there. But it doesn't mean they belong there or that spot is where they should be looking for rewards they get from the content relevant to their CR.

As for players buying their way through the game? A 200 Mark purchase would allow someone to buy a full set of gear (weapon, armor, jewelry, utility/trinket) with enough left over to get a couple extra weapons if they so desired. But even with a subscription discount, you're looking at paying out 2250 in Daybreak Cash every single time you do that. That ain't cheap, and I think that's by design. Yes, the devs are looking to make some money and that would be a good way to do it. But to me that cost is high enough for it to be prohibitive and to encourage players to actually play the game instead. And people who make games want people to play them.

I wasn't particularly thrilled at them selling Marks on the Marketplace, I will admit that. But after looking at the costs it's tough for me to see it as problematic as I thought it might be. It's not anywhere near a quick and easy way to progress considering how much it costs and how much gets left on the table, especially when it's already fairly easy to progress through the tiers thanks to things like the scaling gear drops in the game. It'd be fair to argue that it takes effort to slow down progression in the game as is.
    • Like x 1
  17. SkullGang Devoted Player

I was hoping they wouldnt cross that fine line of buying marks for progression. It's a sad time.
    • Like x 2
  18. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

The relevancy wasn't really about slowing progress.

They wanted to keep players from stockpiling Marks prior to a new DLC to keep us from buying the full armor on day one, in hope to have the challenge and interest last longer. It was also used as a way to keep high CRs from going into lower content and barrel rolling it, leave lower CR players behind.

I am sure others are right in thinking that some new thing is coming that they are giving players a choice in how to gets Marks for it. Whatever this new thing is I feel was a good idea that the devs were forced to design it with a new micro-transaction.

I do see this as a sad thing that they went down this path.
    • Like x 2
  19. Perdition Committed Player

Thank you for your input Mr. Grammar Officer! :rolleyes:

Edit: i’ve never been a fan myself of them selling currency at the marketplace.
    This also includes seasonal currency.
    • Like x 1
  20. Irvynnge Loyal Player

is this because they're gonna be upping the artifacts to 200? I mean, the cache costs on that are gonna be prohibitive, so. . .