New Player questions

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Vicus, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Vicus New Player

Sorry did not see a new player forum so hope this is in the right place. What is the state of the game? When was the last expansion/raid released and is there a competitive raid scene in this game? If so what would you recommend someone play to be able to get into raiding. I normally play a tank but thinking of ranged dps. My wife is normally a healer but in general we are open to anything as long as it's fun and viable.

Also what powersets would you say are not complicated to maximize? I like using powers when they come off cooldown vice having to setup a 5 hit combo before I use my best powers..if that makes sense. This will be for PC..so is there a server that is best for PST or late night guilds?

Thanks in advance.
    • Like x 1
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Hi there.
    • The last episode was the end of March, and the next episode is September.
    • I will leave the powerset recommendations to others, but play anything well. A good tank and healer are generally crucial.
    • You don't have to choose a server beyond which continent you are on (NA/EU). Everyone is combined.
    • Like x 3
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

If you ask anyone what the state of the game is you're going to get very different and opinionated answers.

The latest episode is Justice League Dark, that came out in March of this year. We have two new episodes coming out this September and December, Metal Part I and Metal Part II.

This game is very competitive when it comes to DPS. You can level up your characters to play both Damage and Support roles.

PS and PC share the same servers, there's one for EU and one for US.

As far as powers go you will also get very different and opinionated responses. Your best bet is to check out the guides sub forum and the various YouTube channels.
    • Like x 1
  4. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

Yo yo welcome brotha

the last DLC released was on march 28th- justice league dark . Its free as an event for everyone at the

moment. for starters Every power can dps as their main role As for the competitve raid scene i mean kinda.Plenty of dps still scoreboard watch and like to feel godly when there power

was meant for an aoe style boss fight rather than single and they see they're doing the most dmg in the group. there is survival mode

thats pretty competitive seeing who can make it through the most rounds of boss fights whos cr is way above the current end game raid's boss..You just missed the latest iteration of it tho should be back later this year maybe.

you do have plenty elitlist on the game tho especially here in the forums lol but mainly everyone just grind for all the new gear and wait

for the next dlc .The next dlc drops in september you have ample time to get up to speed with the cr but skill points should be ya focus instead of chasing the highest gear right off the bat (IMO)

The tank powers are pretty dam easy to master honestly although alot struggle with mastering fire tanking theres plenty of guides on

youtube that you could watch and take some things from and apply to your style of play. I feel like with the dps side you just gotta

find a power that you feel good with frfr if you arent worried about being top on a scoreboard and just getting the content done

you only get to use 6 powers so its not complicated at all..but can get quite repetitive so switching powers can be fun too try out on ya main toon..

I recommend once you get to level 30 you play as a tank as ya main role using the vendor gear on it and get all the dropped gear from bosses and completed missions for ya dps role ( might have to grab an armory from the maketplace tho ) its easier to get in raids as a support role everyone wants to pew pew lol as a tank youre in the action all the time tho so its cool . Wifey can lay down some sick heals using the water power but again all powers are viable they all just have their strengths in certain content
  5. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

I suggest holding off on joining a league (guild) until you feel a little more comfortable with playing this game. Some leagues have specific requirements, such as CR and/or SP level needed to join that league. Some leagues are very, very casual and you may not get the support you are looking for. You can always check out the League Recruitment Center page of this forum to see and and ask if anyone is recruiting. If a league is not a good fit, don't be afraid to leave it behind.

Welcome! Good luck and have fun!
    • Like x 2
  6. Controller Devoted Player

You should be a Green Lantern.

It don't mean a thing unless you got a ring....doo wop doo wop doo wop.
    • Like x 2
  7. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

At this juncture I would say all powers are viable. There is nothing in the game that a specific power can't do. I would say to try leveling a tank power set that is move-set appealing to you.

If you are free to play, Ice would be the easier choice to get your toes wet as that is your damage mitigation tank. It uses shields(or Bubbles in MMO talk) as it primary tanking mechanic. It is also a competent dps. Not the best but you wont be kicked for being ice.

For healing I would choose Sorcery for your wife to get a feel as it has a lot more set it and forget it features compared to Nature. It is also the more burst heavy vs Heal over time that Nature is good at. They are both good choices for dps too. Sorcery has a pet that that can help a lot. Nature is more versatile as it is a Dot heavy power but can also do mean burst via it's animal forms however it will require a lot more investment into artifacts for maximum efficiency. Animal forms are super charges(think big cool downs in something like wow) and there are artifacts that will let you get almost 100 percent up time of said supercharges.
    • Like x 1
  8. Marek Committed Player

Does ringworm count? .... ya I went there lol
    • Like x 1
  9. myandria Item Storage

Corrected that for ya! :D
    • Like x 3
  10. Controller Devoted Player

What other power has a PLANET on its side, lol? And the Yellow Lanterns have Ranx.

;):D

But seriously OP my main is a Green Lantern but I have Water and Atomic Alts. Just about all powers are fun and cover just about ALL power combos in Comics Lore, I think.

Pick whatever one is your favorite and roll with it.
  11. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

idiot proof ranged dps ...if using might...equals munitions...there...i said it...precision ranged dps is very viable...youll be using your weapon a lot...and powers are generally just defensive like shields or dps boosts like powered weapon attacks...which is better might or prec...well...thats its own little discussion...both are viable...this game is raid intensive...youll enjoy that...nothing wrong with it...
  12. BumblingB I got better.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 5
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Im just going to be brutally honest with you so that you're not led astray.

When there's new content to run this game does a good job of being exceptionally entertaining, the newer you are the more entertaining it is going to be, the higher in sp and cr you get the less there is to do and deader the game can get between the releases of new content.

With that being said i certainly think the game is worth subscribing too

BUT, AND HERE COMES THE BUT

This game is not balanced when it comes to powers, artifacts, weapons and playstyles anyone that tells you it is, and with all due respect to those people, are outright lying to you, either through ignorance or denial.

The imbalances in this game stem from various things ranging from the influence of artifacts to inherent power defects these are then exacerbated by content design that then either creates a static or slightly dynamically altering flavor of the month power imbalance.

If you're going to primary role dps then certain powers are simply going to do a better job for the reasons ive explained, sometimes certain powers do shine in certain circumstances such as area of effect or single target and some powers are also good at both, your playstyle is something you need to think about when selecting your powers some are also burst some are combos and constructs.

If you're going to primary dps as weapons too there are currently only 2 weapons viable bow and dual wield because weapons are horribly unbalanced and these imbalances are exacerbated again by artifacts.

In top of this which i didn't mention is that even movement modes are imbalanced to the point where super speed is generally the best with flight being the worst or hardest.

There's actually quite a lot to discuss.

In terms of tanking and healing powers even theyre not equal, if you're looking for easier tanking I'd pick something like ice to learn the ropes but stay away from fire cause it works a bit differently and you need more skill points and possibly avoid rage to begin with because of its crash mechanic or if you use it start learning it early.

The truth is there are 100% optimal metas in this game that are borderline forced upon you, especially by the upper ends of the end game community so if that's where you're ultimately trying to get be prepared to be less flexible in your playstyle, if you intend to just play casually then you'll have a lot more flexibility and the regular and event content is much more forgiving to people that just want to muck around.

If you have some powers you're specifically interested in let the forum know and im sure people here can give you a more targeted heads up on the pros and cons of that choice :)

Good luck and welcome to the game.
    • Like x 5
  14. inferno Loyal Player

Take your time, if you can. If you're able to go through the tiers, there's a lot of raids that will definitely challenge you. If you want to try their quality, enter the Fortress of Solitude raids with a bunch of players at level.

If you want a raid challenge, don't enter the Event version of Shattered Gotham or FoA. It is easy and not meant to challenge a player.

Good Luck and Have fun.
  15. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Alot of what is said here is true.

But I'll also say this to you. Play how you want. Do research. Watch videos. Read guides. Learn your power and role that you choose and play it in the way that suits you as long as you're getting the job done. Every game has optimal this optimal that. Some is good to follow but at some point you gotta have fun. I guess that depends on what your definition of fun is.

I personally have been playing for a long time. Im a controller. I know how to play my role and play it well. That being said. I dont follow all the metas. I take a little of this and a little of that and form my play style and i always get the job done. If you care about top dps numbers, follow the meta. If you don't. Just play your role effectively and beat content and that's all that matters. I know i run top end content and i won't deny anyone as long they are playing their role effectively.

Welcome.
    • Like x 1
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Absolutely, i agree it's important to play what you want and have fun and it's important that as equally as you know your power, know your content.

You don't have to be absolutely optimal if you don't care about winning, but what you should be is optimal enough to be sufficient to the point where you're clearing the content you're wanting to clear without issue.

Now what i mean by that isn't, don't try new content and fail, i mean don't run content with a sub optimal meta that you know is causing an issue where running the optimal meta wouldn't cause the failure.

Don't put yourself in a position where you're purposefully and knowingly the weakest link through a voluntary choice to run something you know isn't going to succeed or is going to be harder.

Remember your own enjoyment is balanced with the enjoyment of the entire group, if you're going to try things let your group know, don't inflict experiments upon people that aren't expecting them.

It also tends to be better to run safe optimal metas when content is newer to avoid issues.

Like i said though balance is important and understand the type of content you're running, who you're running with and what you're trying to achieve and build from there.

This is especially important if you're running elite content etc, with normal content you can pretty much sleep walk.
  17. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Yes. And all I'll add one more thing. By mastering your power, role, knowing all the ins and outs, knowing your capabilities and knowing what the meta is, it allows you to then experiment and try different things within that framework. Again, as long you're being effective at your role.

Each tank, healer, controller at its core has a few jobs it must perform. But each power within those roles have certain strengths and things about them that might fit or not fit your style. Just experiment and research.
    • Like x 1
  18. Magnificent Loyal Player

There are already multiple answers for the other questions so I'll address the powers.

The first thing to understand is that every powerset has a DPS ability and can switch to Healer, Tank or Controller (which is a healer of Power, with some powersets having some CC ability). What that non-DPS role is depends on the powerset (for example, the Tank powersets are Ice, Fire, Rage, Earth and Atomic). Considering you two are used to playing a healer/tank combo you should look at a healer powerset for her (I have no experience with healer powersets so I'll leave that to others) and either an Ice tank (very straight-forward powerset that relies mainly on shields) or a Fire tank (relies mainly on self-heals, has high Restoration which is the stat Healing is based off of). I've played a Fire tank since the game launched and absolutely love it. Fire also has some good damage in DPS role (if you focus on a Might build rather than a Precision one which brings me to another point...).

DPS comes in three flavors: Might-based (using primarily your powers), Precision-based (using primarily your weapon) or a combo. At times there have been FoTM weapons but these days they are all pretty much equal regardless of powerset. If you go one way or another and find it's not quite as fun as you like you can always reset your Skill points to change your focus on how you're doing damage (there's a kiosk ingame). If you end up wanting to change your weapon or powerset though, that's going to be something you have to purchase through the Store with Daybreak's currency (which you buy with real-world money).

Hope this helps, welcome to the game! :)
  19. qECLIPSEp Well-Known Player

Hey Mepps, can you all go ahead and announce Double Artifact Xp Weekend!!! We haven't had one since the beginning of JLD! I don't know what has happened other than the Switch launch, but you guys have dropped the ball as to keeping your player base updated!
  20. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Hi, Welcome to DCUO.

People already answered your questions.

But I make videos of DCUO for new players... well for anyone... but Trexlight refuses to watch my videos. ;) ;).

If you have a question.... odds are I already made a video about it. So you can just search my videos to find the answer you are looking for. If you do not find it.... just ask in the comment section of one of my recent videos and I will see what I can do to answer your question. I try to answer all the questions.... but sadly with yoouTube it is easy enough to miss a comment. So if you ask and I don't answer... ask again a day or two later. ;)