End of lot boxes

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by The original Nightling, Aug 8, 2019.

1. The original Nightling New Player

2. the solowing Steadfast Player

Oh no thats not the end of them..not until they are regulated...Tired of every game trying to get you to GAMBLE through these stupid lootboxes

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will enact a policy requiring developers to disclose the odds of paid loot boxes.

This new policy, which is slated to go into effect by the end of 2020
    • Like x 1
  3. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

• Like x 5
  4. Proxystar #Perception

pretty sure the article also said "new games" it was rather ambiguous regarding whether it would have any impact whatsoever on existing titles, which obviously DCUO is.
    • Like x 1
  5. craybest Well-Known Player

i hope lootboxes would go away from all MMOs, it's gambling. I like to buy the things I want, not a chance to get what i want. :/
    • Like x 2
  6. Mazahs Loyal Player

Yeah it's interesting wording for sure.
    In regards to how it may affect DCUO- he does mention game updates that add loot box features.

“Specifically, this would apply to new games and game updates that add loot box features, and it would require the disclosure of the relative rarity or probabilities of obtaining randomized virtual items in games that are available on their platforms.”
  7. myandria Item Storage

Disclosing the odds of getting items from loot boxes will not stop players from purchasing them. In my opinion, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are just covering their butts just in case regulation of loot boxes actually takes place.
  8. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

We already know the odds are pretty garbage. Nothing will change here.
  9. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Yeah, even if people know for a fact that the odds are about 0.001% (or less) to get the collection piece they need, some will see that, and they'll be like, "So... you're saying I still have a chance, right? Right?"
    • Like x 3
  10. recoil2 Dedicated Player

well not EVERY game quite frankly, WoW as far as i've ever seen doesn't contain loot boxes purchasable but rather does have some RNG related rewards scattered throughout the content itself with everything else cosmetic/not necessary being sold in the blizzard store. that's not to say most other blizzard games don't use this strategy as anybody who plays or has seen anything on youtube about overwatch knows they do. that being said while they have a fairly substandard and inconvenient style system i am getting way more joy out of World of Warcraft after going back to it for a week on the trial version sub lvl 20.
  11. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I hope this policy effects DCUO just so we can see a clear cut visualization of the drop rates.

Will it stop gamble hungry people from buying them? Of course not, but for my sheer entertainment I would love to see just how ridiculous the drop rate is for some of these collections.
    • Like x 3
  12. Marek Committed Player

If I could post the Jim Carrey (lloyd Christmas) gif screaming "yaaaaaaa ... I read ya" i would .... lol
  13. dresserball Dedicated Player

It says any new or updated game. DCUO would fall under updated.
  14. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Am I looking at this right? Because about all I can think of that would really be affected is the time capsules. I mean after all it is true we get a reward box at the and of every mission and boss battle and there is an amount of chance involved in those as well but we are not shelling out any real money on those .. they just DROP when your task is done and we get three options, NORMALLY, between two pieces of gear and a piece of furniture.

Now the time capsules do have "other options" like collection pieces but only that 1 piece of gear is available so no choice at all and of course it is very possible to get something you already have or something you already have gear that has a higher rating. (last capsules I opened the gear maxed out at CR 222.. I can BUY Cr 235 from the vendor in Chaos Gotham.

In my own case this has never really been an issue .. I run the stabilzer duo and have only purchased one TC at the very beginning just to see what was inside.
  15. merrygoblin Well-Known Player

I expect if (and it remains to be seen if it does) it affects DCUO, then not just Time Capsules, but probably also Promethium Lockboxes. Anything you have to buy (or gain through membership) a key to open, and whose contents are random.
  16. Proxystar #Perception

How so, the game isn't being updated to include loot boxes they're already there, the article was unclear whether that meant the inclusion of an individual loot box or the inclusion of loot boxes period.

It was exceptionally ambiguous but then again self regulation always tends to be that, if you've got a link to a clearer outline of the policy rather than an interpreted media article that'd be appreciated :)
  17. Rainnifer Committed Player

This is just guess-work but I'd interpret it as "games that are updated" as in, not updated to add in a loot box but updated in general. They have the power to update the game to accommodate this rule for existing loot boxes but previous games not made for updates and are already "finished" would be exempt from having to change how the loot boxes worked, if any. I guess.
    • Like x 1
  18. Proxystar #Perception

Yea i just don't trust ambiguous speculative journalism, so I'll believe it when i see it, you're possibly right but the way, I'm just cynical ;)
    • Like x 1
  19. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

And Booster Bundles.
    • Like x 2
  20. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

The wording is:
    This is not ambiguous. Any and every new Time Capsule or Booster Bundle ADDED to the game (after this policy is put into effect) in future is "future downloadable content." So all NEW Bundles and Capsules are covered.

Rerunning old Time Capsules in a Resurgence Drop? That is unclear, because on the one hand, they're still circulating in the game, but on the other hand, making them drop again is still "future downloadable content" even if it's a rerun.

But if they're tweaked in any way, they're "new" and probably since they'll have something new attached, or a chance of it, that'll count as "future content" as well.

"Updates and all future downloadable content" is pretty sweeping.