I feel we are being Punished for Playing the Game!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MyDpsIsBetter, Jul 8, 2019.

1. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Same. I'd probably knock out all Solos and Duos and save up enough to Quarks to cover the cost of a few TC items I missed.

If they lifted Marks relevancy I'm sure the devs would be implement a contingency plan to safeguard their limitations.
    • Like x 2
  2. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

If it increased your play time then it helped the game you admitted you wouldn't help which is fair but many others would proudly go into old content if say they had even a little chance at getting something out of it while helping newer players and those missing feats.
  3. Akaiko Well-Known Player

I'd just queue all the raids that I felt like trying that day as it would depend on my mood. Right now, I only queue for Fellowship once a week. I did queue for Shattered Gotham the week of triple rewards and for all the raids from Teen Titans/Atlantis during the week of double rewards though.

I'd queue into any alert/duo/solo that I felt like trying to play that day. Right now, I only queue for the Stabilizer duo (daily) and possibly Atlantis or Justice League Dark (and that's assuming I even queue into any alert/duo/solo for the day other than Stabilizer).

Of course, the main thing I'd do is enter all the different open worlds that I felt like running while I wait for the queues to pop. Since I'd be able to go wherever I want, I wouldn't just do Teen Titans/Atlantis/Justice League Dark open world. Even if the queue took awhile, I would be playing so I wouldn't get frustrated and log out when things don't pop.

As for what I'd spend things on, I would go back to working on collecting style pieces that I used to try to collect. I stopped working on them when GU94 hit live as I'm stockpiling Source Marks because I'm not sure what I might need/want them for later on as things seemingly change around here quickly (unless it's the stats revamp apparently) and the style pieces aren't that big a deal to me. While I like to be somewhat of a completionist at times for the feats, I'm not that concerned because every new DLC and seasonal brings new feats anyway (and I'm not a completionist at all for feats or skill points).

I have zero problems stating that I'm more likely to run content (on duty or open world) as long as I get some form of guaranteed currency in addition to choosing my other reward. That's why prior to GU94 I was a regular in Amazon Fury Part 3 to the latest content as far as open world and on duty content. Post-GU94, I'm a regular in only Teen Titans, Atlantis, & Justice League Dark because I get guaranteed currency from them without any issues. Just as before, I don't care that Teen Titans doesn't give me "Marks of Victory." I'm just fine with it giving me Titans Cred.

I'm not keen on revealing too much about myself, but I will mention the following. I started off free-to-play when I was looking for games to play on then new PS4 (in 2016). I spent almost a year as free-to-play before I decided I'd pay for annual membership (though I admit I had some reservations about it), which I've renewed twice since 2017. My main toon is CR 270 and the rest of my toons are scattered between levels 22 to 218. My main reason for justifying the membership ended with GU94. Sure, when I get bumped down to premimum it'll probably mean that at some point I'll no longer be "endgame" (as I won't have access to the episode to get the best gear) but I can live with that. As an endgamer who will never care about elite/survival mode AND believes that elite/survival should continue to exist despite the fact that I won't play them AND doesn't play event versions except on alts* AND doesn't care about the broker BUT would like to actually have a desire to play at the very least several tiers of content instead of just the latest, I'll provide my 2 cents as I still have awhile before my membership expires in early 2020 (but I admit that I'm not holding my breath on expecting anything to occur to get me to care about renewing).

*Sometimes when there are bonus weekends and I'm not able to get on until Sunday, I'll queue for the event & normal with my main and go with whatever pops up first as at that point I'm just trying to get in and not be a purist over where I got my currency since the option exists. If I'm able to be on as normal, then I avoid the event versions with my main.
    • Like x 1
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

5. BumblingB I got better.

I'll agree with this. It's exactly what we all were talking about. There is no point to having a restriction on out of relevancy mark gain when they create loop holes in the reasoning why they have relevancy in the first place.

I'm glad we agree. :)
    • Like x 1
  6. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Claim to want the best for the game but your argument against allowing Source marks to drop in old content is because you dont want players to progress through old tiers of content to quickly in a game that allows you to *BUY* a skip through said content.
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

We don't. Just because there's a loophole that someone could take advantage of doesn't make your argument valid. The crutch in this example is what you all are leaning on to convince the rest of us that Marks relevancy is unnecessary. A $50 loophole, that I would surmise no brand new player is using with much success. A $50 advance token that isn't even promoted to new players. Why would anyone with an ounce of foresight spend $50 to just play Earth 3 (poorly) and the base game?

I'm just shocked none of you who have been here long enough want to discuss the monkey's paw that would come with removing marks relevancy. At this point I say screw it, remove marks relevancy, you'll all have a new set of problems to deal with and I'll have my popcorn ready.
    • Like x 2
  8. plumcrazy Well-Known Player

Like I mentioned before some older players don't like when people can just catch up in days or weeks in what took them possibly months, and it's completely understandable in a way. People can see a obvious problem here I mean ray Charles God rest his soul could see it, but deep in their minds subconscious they ignore it because well like I said it kind of erks them. Many games (especially mmos) follow the system of letting players catch up reasonably fast after say a few months after new content is dropped and all the older (or as they say hardcore lol) players get mad they can catch up so fast when they had to grind such and such everyday.

This game does not follow the catch up model of other games really, unless you count the numerous ways you can spend money to achieve things. I grinded that stupid toyman crap everyday saving enough marks for that OP frozen fury gear....It really don't bother me that say new players may never even know who or what toyman is.
    • Like x 1
  9. BumblingB I got better.

LoL

I also mentioned the free event gear, time capsules, and the vault. Take your pick of crutches.

If you want to talk about monkey's paw, then the real reason why you are against a change is because you are afraid they will change it to something worse. Which is not without reason, they have done so on numerous occasions, but the way you are going about it is rather bad to legitimately concerned players talking in this thread.
    • Like x 2
  10. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

That's why this game is in the state it's in many of the player are only concerned for what works for him and forget anyone else. We seen that first hand with what happened with PvP. The reasoning that has pretty much been clear is people don't want people to catch up quickly through old tiers in a game that allows you to pay money to do the exact same thing. They are making something big that's really not as grinding through the current content gaining sp ect is more then enough to keep you feeling ahead gear is just one part of the game.
  11. mexmex Dedicated Player

As I see it, the only reasons behind relevancy are:
    1.- they don’t want us to collect those marks for buying quarks
    2.- they don’t want us to get supplies for the leveling of artifacts with marks
    3.- they want us to spend more real cash for the items from second chance vendor or seal and whatnot
    4.- they want us to replay the few content in relevancy window ( pay again to play it) if you want to pile marks
    5.- they want to keep people in a small window relevancy to keep it tight as there might be not enough people for end content if the people spread on all the content
    And some more that might affect their interest.

But in doing so, they are pushing people away.
    • Like x 2
  12. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Nailed it.....
  13. Zneeak Devoted Player

We got 2 skip-tokens and CR calcucations off of each episode to make sure that people can be as low of a CR as possible to reach new content, just to mention a few. If you think it's news that the Devs have been working their playerbase toward content-skipping and power-leveling to end-game, you sure missed a lot.

To have this type of content treatment and a relevancy window on top of it is nothing but counter-productive toward new or returning players, aswell as unnecessarily restricting and boresome toward end-game platers as they are left with just the latest few episodes to play. Unless, of course, they go back to certain instances that has the rare drops, of which you are more likely to not have RnG on your side making it a reward-less run anyway.
  14. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

This is something I've actively been speaking out against, and will continue to do so.

I just don't get why or how mark relevancy is in the game in 2019, because all it does is stop you from playing the game more; or even investing into it more. Content Relevancy is the Death of Replay Value in DCUO, period.

• I don't want to buy episodes, nor do I want to subscribe for content. Why buy episodes to play content that eventually is going to die off because it serves no more purpose? I have all these DLC's and content I can play, but once I'm finished with it; it feels like I'm forced to move on and forget about the content that brought me the fondest memories of DCUO. Sure, I can technically play it and create an alt... but; It either forces me off of one toon I want to work on(No marks.) or just to log off the game entirely.
    • It forces end-game content with the same repetitive raids, kill 666 meh weeklies, and all that other stuff to be ran over and over again to get any form of replay value. And which I say, good luck with that because I promise you; players get burnt out from end-game 24/7 like it is. With Mark Relevancy being removed, it can finally break up some of the Monotony.
    1. We can already Obtain Trivially high level gear, it's called the vault; time capsules, and you can straight up buy gear via seasonal currency marks on the Marketplace. The only players that will benefit from getting a ton of source marks for gear are the ones that are heading into the Titans Episode. The majority of players will be using source-marks to finish up feats, that's it. As a ton of styles(The PVE ones) demand quite the bit of source-marks to finish up.
    2. So that every marks per day/per week do not grow infinitely over-time? Why are you putting a brick wall on players who want to get to end-game faster or knock down a ton of feats to get stronger? You literally mess up the flow of progression in this scenario, because players in my eyes spend too much time having go back track for feats and can't play catch up. If players want to head over to the titans episode as quickly as possible, encourage it. The end-game DCUO population has been in need of new players to form groups and get peppier que's. But the mark relevancy setup puts a brick wall where it hurts.
    3. Why does the content have to be easy? Scaling up older content to be challenging isn't a option for you guys? A big problem with end-game content is that you have NO variety for the next 6 months outside of a seasonal and just now the recent Survival Mode. I don't get the mindset that "old content is dead, so it should stay dead." I really don't. People in this game have praised DLC's like Origin Crisis and Amazon Fury and touted them as one of the best; why not use the old content that's beloved and use it to breathe some fresh air into the end-game monotony?
    To Answer your question: No, I don't find it troubling that people are using source-marks from older content to get their SP/CR really high. It's people putting more hours into the content they've bought and the content you guys spend your hours developing, what's so wrong with that? Replay Value in any form is a good thing.
    I could understand the difficulty argument, but there's been a solution thrown at you guys many times to deal with older content being easy many times.(Including the one that I've just proposed.)
    Another route for yall to go to is just make the vendor gear be scaled gear; so the player can still earn a lot of marks; but they won't be able to zoom through tier by tier(not sure about SP.) (I know this contradicts #2 in my post, but it's a possiblity I'm willing to throw out there if it means we can get a step further in removing the most irritable aspect of DCUO in my eyes.)
    Thanks for your time responding, regards-Jacob.
    • Like x 4
  15. SkullGang Devoted Player

[IMG]
    I brought up several of these points a few weeks ago and it was like I was speaking another language. I used my own personal situation of owning AF3 and having is valued reduced because they lock me out of earning marks from it. I was told "ehh its years old at this point so you should have everything" which is missing the point entirely.
    • Like x 2
  16. Proxystar #Perception

The part that I can't help but feel you're missing and other people advocating for absolutely no relevancy at all is that it goes against Daybreak's business model as it currently exists.

They've changed everything to eventually become "source marks" with time, so when you farm content, if you keep farming content you're actually "technically farming source marks" if you wait for them to convert, so everything all the way down to Titans can currently be farmed by a max level 273 character for source marks.

With that being the case if they were to open the "gate" so to speak and allow all players to farm source marks from all content, it would definitely help boost the lower level characters much quickly, but it would also allow top end players to effectively double dip on source marks because they'd get source marks from titans content, atlantis content, justice league dark content and then all of those episodic specific marks would also convert to source marks ad infinitum.

I would hazard a guess that is a concern for the developers, you're actually undermining the grind at both ends by opening the gate.

I'm happy to giving diminishing returns but I'm not happy for there to be a free for all because I see it from both sides. If you also allow people to keep farming the entire game the developers will lose replay badges on numerous sectors of the population, which again is no doubt an issue for them from a business model perspective.

It's important from a player perspective that we be rewarded for running content, perhaps there's a better way, which might be to reintroduce something like 'influence' and have players be rewarded influence for running all content and put and influence vendor back in the game that allows players to buy all sorts of things, compounds, nth metal, could just be all sorts of stuff.

if you adequately reward the players they will play the content, it doesn't have to be immediate progression obtained via source marks.

The trick also is making sure the vendor is regularly updated and not just forgot about, everything from the rare style vendor for example could go in there for a decent price, sometimes the idea too is making multiple pathways, leave them for source marks and also have them in an influence vendor.
    • Like x 2
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

1. Like I said earlier, welcome to my world. Been there pretty much the whole time I've played the game. LOL It's not for everyone, especially if a person isn't willing to step outside of the routine and find things to keep themselves busy. I thank my time in SWG for being able to do that; a sandbox game without much in the way of directed content will at the very least push a player into finding their own entertainment when they log in.

2. Players CAN fall back on other content as is, and in the process help speed up the queues for older content. They could be doing so right now, without the devs having to lift a finger, solving the problem themselves.

But from all appearances it's their own hang-up over not getting Marks that's stopping them, nothing else. To me that greatly undermines any argument that they want to help queues for older content. If someone isn't queueing up because they aren't gonna get Marks, it's tough to think they really care all that much about the content and slow queues. It's just about the Marks.

3. Honestly I haven't seen any of those arguments or cases where players can at least show (if not definitely prove) that they need the extra Marks that would come from removing relevancy. I really haven't. The vast vast VAST majority of the time these kinds of threads are "I want to get Marks from running old content again!" not "I really need Marks from old content because..."
    • Like x 2
  18. plumcrazy Well-Known Player

I wonder if the people in charge of this game's day in day out activities actually play this game on a somewhat regular basis? It's like that south park episode where he ask the dude in charge if he has a wow account and he says no I have a life. Games today are being ran by suits rather than gamers....
  19. the solowing Steadfast Player

Have you not read the forum? Their is no clear consensus on anything here.
    • Like x 2
  20. Zneeak Devoted Player

1. Not really sure how "it's not for everyone" ties in to end-gamers situation where they really don't have more chocies than the current relevancy-related content, but ok.

2. How so? By just running a whole bunch of content without getting rewarded? Your reasoning here doesn't make sense, it's like you don't want the devs to change something "just cause". If the Devs truly want people to help speed up the queues, they'd be better off adding more incentive for it. Can't expect people to just devote all their time running various old content without a reward for it.

3. Then honestly you haven't read half of the feedback in this and other threads like it. Not sure how you're not grasping it, but instant-gratification type rewards like marks adds incentive, unlike the relevancy window, as evidenced by the many mostly abandonded tiers. Of course, that's easy to miss for someone who seem to barely play any group content at all, but anyways...