MS ends Win 7 support Jan. 14, 2020 ( 7 months )

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Knarlydude, May 18, 2019.

1. Knarlydude Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  2. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

People who don't want Cortana shoved down their throats... Pretty sure those guys still use Windows 7 lol.
    • Like x 2
  3. Knarlydude Loyal Player

The guys that hated win 8 and went back to WIN 7 xD. Then Win 10 came out and they don't want to mess with that BS again. And, the guys that go by the mantra, "If it aint broke don't fix it."
    • Like x 1
  4. Great Architect Loyal Player

Once an OS is unsupported - it's... unsupported. The client will still run, and there's no reason to think that there will be any change to that. If there is, it's a Microsoft problem, not a Daybreak problem.

It's not possible to ask a software provider to solve an OS problem. It's completely out of their control.

From your previous postings, I imagined your critical thinking was better than that.
    • Like x 3
  5. Knarlydude Loyal Player

DCUO stopped support for XP & Vista just like they dropped PS3. I do not remember how long after MS stopped their support that DCUO followed suit. That is why I was asking.
  6. TheOracle Active Player

I do, I don't want a updates deleting my files...plus I don't like Cortana, **** Cortana.
  7. TheOracle Active Player

Its very simple, update your OS if you still want security updates, or pay through the nose for continued support if you have a enterprise license.
  8. Great Architect Loyal Player

If it's unsupported, then it's definitely broke.

What happened when DB dropped support for the other versions of Windows? Did it stop working? Or did they just not offer support for the game after that?

The more you can tell me, the better solution I can find for you.
  9. Great Architect Loyal Player

Actually, without making this a pulling teeth kind of thing, it's almost certain that what I'm going to recommend is:-

Run Windows 8 or 10 in a Virtual Machine.

That way you get to keep the OS of your choice (7), but have a separate version of Windows for stuff that requires greater than 7.

There are two free VMs that I would recommend: VMWare or VirtualBox (previously VBox). VirtualBox is probably the better supported, because: Oracle. But VMWare is more user-friendly.

If you want help in installing and running either, shout me and I'll talk you through it when we're both online - or, better yet, we can talk it out in a separate thread and make a FAQ and Guide out of it.
  10. Great Architect Loyal Player

You know you can switch Cortana off, though :(?
  11. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

Or people who don't want spyware shoved down their throats.
    • Like x 3
  12. Great Architect Loyal Player

That's what a decent (not Microsoft) Security suite is for. Get one.
  13. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

I was refering to the spyware implemented from windows 10 it self.I love windows 10 but I know quiet a lot of peoples stay away because of things in windows 10.
  14. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

I use Windows 8.1 and installed Classic Shell so my desktop looks like Win 7 and not that kindergarten tiles with moving pictures desktop. And yes, you have to sign up for Cortana for Win 10 and yes you can turn off/disable Cortana. I have not had a problem with updates deleting files for Win 8.1; then again, I dont have auto updates turned on. I get update notifications so that I can research and then decide if I want to use the update or not.
  15. myandria Item Storage

This is simple; Win 7 users will need to adjust to their best abilities. Win 7 can still be used after the support ends; however, it would be wise to use it offline, since security updates will no longer be available. Microsoft will always try to push their latest product whenever they can, which is why the company is suggesting Win 7 users to move straight to Win 10, since Microsoft no longer sells the Win 8 discs or first time downloads. Win 8 can be run in a virtual machine if enough space is allocated to it; otherwise researching a third party seller will be necessary to purchase the disc/download.

At some point Daybreak will have to communicate about the Win 7 non support, give suggestions to about how to deal with it and remind players that it is out of Daybreak's control if something goes wrong with their computer because they are playing the game online on an unsupported OS. The games will continue to move forward; it will be up to the players to decide when they want to move on from Win 7.
  16. TheOracle Active Player

Their was a update, the infamous October 2018 update for Win 10 that deleted personal files both on and off the system drive for many many users. I don't hate windows 10 persay, I just like 7 better, its prob the best OS ever made except for maybe XP. I'll upgrade to 10 when I build my new PC.
  17. myandria Item Storage

Yes, I remember that update and it made me glad I stuck with Win 8.1. I do miss XP and I still have my retired XP machine. I only had the chance to use Win 7 at work; when I HAD to upgrade from XP because of the non-support, the only OS I could get at the time was Win 8 because I got the OS disc for free with my new machine build. Can't beat free, right? Ahh, the good old days when you could get a machine, pre-built or not and STILL get the physical OS disc with it at no extra charge.
  18. TheOracle Active Player

Because CDs are sooooo expensive to make. All of 10 cents, and I'm high balling that.
    • Like x 1
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

To be fair, Windows won't fit on a CD....so a DVD....like 11 cents. But yeah.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  20. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Still doesn't mean I like it being apart of the OS.

Fyi, I have it shut off; but it's not gone entirely because it's integrated into Window's 10's search interface lol. You disable that completely, and it breaks.