Is membership really worth it?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tipel, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Tipel New Player

I've almost finished my first months membership, and I'm wondering if it is actually worth buying another month, or just sticking with premium, what are your thoughts?
    And am i right in thinking once the membership runs out it'll just automatically go back to a premium account instead of a free account?

Thanks.
    • Like x 2
  2. Eve YouTuber

Yes, once your membership runs out you'll be premium.
    If you want - I listed all of the Membership benefits here on the Gotham Gazette article:
    https://dcuosgothamgazette.site123.me/news/membership-benefits-why-should-you-subscribe

Membership comes with a lot of benefits, and helps you with unlocking content for you so you can
    progress, more powers, more. Read the list above to see. It is worth having a membership if you are going
    to continue play for the long run.
    • Like x 4
  3. Proxystar #Perception

If you haven't bought anything prior to buying membership then a few things you'll need to know when you drop back down to premium.

• you're going to lose access to some of your characters if you have too many
    • you're going to lose access to the "shield" weapon and will need to purchase this if needed
    • you're going to lose access to trinket utility belts and are going to have to purchase this
    • you're going to lose access to your mainframe abilities and are going to have to purchase this
    • you're going to lose inventory and bank slots gained through membership
    • you're going to lose access to promethium lock boxes
    • you're going to lose access to all DLC's and episodes that you do not own, hope you've got all the feats done.
    • you're going to lose access to all money exceeding $2,500 unless you pay - stock up on soder stacks and interfaces for repairs
    • you're going to lose access to any R&D items that cost more than $2,500 to purchase.
    You have to decide whether it's worth it ;)

Honestly if you're enjoying the game I don't see any reason not to subscribe.
    • Like x 5
  4. Zneeak Devoted Player

It all depends on what you expect to do and play when you go premium. If you're at end-game, you may want to stay premium until the new episode comes out and re-sub. If you're not at end-game, you probably still have a lot of content ahead of you to play, which makes your sub more valuable.
    • Like x 2
  5. QuantumFlange Active Player

I'm currently paying for membership just to log in daily for a 3-minute stabiliser run. Would love to see some TLC given to neglected areas of the game for better player retention during the low times. Looking at you PVP/SM/Legends PVE...
    • Like x 5
  6. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

A few corrections here:D

The escrow cap is $2000 and not $2500.
    So;
    • you're going to lose access to all money exceeding $2,000 unless you pay - stock up on soder stacks and interfaces for repairs
    • you're going to lose access to any R&D items that cost more than $2,000 to purchase.
    Plus:
    • Membership allows you to unlock all pvp legends whit marks, if you premium you can only get 1/6 of the total of legends.
    • In regard of repairs you gonna struggle a lot, it not only takes time to sell sodas/repair, but u also need to waste inventory space to have them. Those sodas aren't unlimited so before hand you have to buy them in every single quest turn in.
    • Since your escrow limit is $2000, you will have a terrible time trying to get the tc feats.
    • While members open like 4 tc you open 2tc. That is alot, members can not only "sell on broker their stuff" but also have more chances in opening tcs.
    • As premium you cant get shinys, so if you have hopes to even get lets say a purple skull acessory, you can slow down the horses.
    • As premium you dont get free 500DB cash, so you gotta pay seals of completion on your own.
    • In regards of multiple alts, you don't get those monthly 150replay badges, so no buying feats to.
    • Well as you dont buy feats, you hardly will replay content too.(Inst that fun?)
    • Well, buying resets from players? Whit that 2000$ money? Good Luck.
    • In regards of trading, a lot of people will try to cheese you, need that 30k collection to finish Firework aura?(Well if the deal, not good people won't even bother or the ones that bother may get your item and leave;D always amusing)
    • Well i will repeat the dlc's part. If you don't own them you can't play them and if you only by the last dlc you missing marks. So you need to pay at least the 2 latest dlc upfront. Just that exceed the value you pay for membership. Plus you gonna need the utlity belt so thats like 5 bucks or so and the turf dlc another few bucks.
    • May as well download Tetris:D I heard it is a long lasting game.
    So answering your question is membership worth?
    No, is not. That's why paying costumer players, unlike promethium boxes, are forced to buy stabilizers in order to open tcs. However as a player that doesn't own any dlc. Your chances of being able to play the game without membership are very slim. This due the fact that most of the self-called membership "perks" are essential in order to play the game. I still don't know how can they call "essential core mechanics" membership perks and call it a day. Is just stupid not being able to not craft Chrono emitters.
    • Like x 1
  7. recoil2 Dedicated Player

not to mention the open worlds, dc UNIVERSE online,.............only get to see part of the moon/gotham and metropolis.
    • Like x 1
  8. recoil2 Dedicated Player

it's worth buying a membership, i've been both premium and a member. alternatively, while it has far fewer benefits, being a premium with the actual episode owned for the past handful of episodes HAS grown it's own slightly impressive benefits, like owner box specific styles/base items and more episode specific currency. so premium with episodes owned is also always an option.
  9. Proxystar #Perception

Yes, my bad I was rushing to type that up before having to do something, $2,000 is correct. I also fixed your post for you ;)
    • Like x 2
  10. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

Your words not mine, like i said before i dont care about cosmetics, and cosmetics is not the reason i play the game.

Here let me grab you a Farm simulator comparison to DCUO perks.

Farm simulation:
    Game: Plant food, Harvest and feed the farm dude.

Perks:
    • Eat food to not starve to death? Clearly a perk
    • No time wasted in harvesting food? Clearly a Perk
    • One click harvest the 2 hectares of crops you planted? Clearly a Perk
    Regular gameplay:
    So the dude not only has to wait to harvest a crop but has to do it for x amount of crops it owns plus, in the end, the dude will die anyway from starvation(cant eating, is a member perk u knonw=). DCUO perks shiny brighter.

So should I shut up, when the membership value and price is inflated by stuff that shouldn't be there? Hell no. The 7.5$ monlty price is more then fit for what u get, and the core mechanics should be available to everyone, could be restricted whit bigger reset times, but still available to everyone.
    • Like x 1
  11. Proxystar #Perception

actually, it was your opinion, not mine. I just re-framed it as one, rather than letting you purport it as being factual, when it's simply your opinion that the membership isn't worth it. Truth is you're in every thread that revolves around membership continually asking for more free stuff and suggesting the membership should be watered down, because you refuse to pay.

Tell me though, if the membership truly wasn't worth it why are you always trying to get aspects of it without payment?

parts of this game are free to play, others aren't you need to deal with it.
    • Like x 7
  12. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

Yes, you are correct; you will drop down to Premium if you let your membership lapse.

If you have been playing the latest content (Atlantis) and you let your membership drop, then you will only have a limited amount of time to access it before the new DLC is launched. Right now, Atlantis is in event mode, which means that any level 10 character can access membership or not. On March 28, the new DLC will launch in event mode and Atlantis will become regular content; free and premium players will not be able to access Atlantis unless they own it and all characters, regardless of membership, will have to be at the proper CR to enter.

I think you should consider purchasing another month of membership to see how the new content plays out. At least you will get another round of Replays and Loyalty points if you decide to let your membership lapse after this.
  13. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I would say mostly...yes. In my opinion, I believe that some of the perks that the membership offers are either largely irrelevant or just obsolete (i.e promethium lockboxes) and that right now the content drought isn't too great but it's certainly better than many other games. Also, even though I believe premium players should be treated better, it's just not a solid option right now, especially if you enjoy the game. The $2000 cash cap is largely inconvenient and I would subscribe just for that. Now, the subscription model is already sort of outdated when it comes to MMOs but typically, from my experience, the ones with a subscription model tend to have much more endgame content and frequent updates such as WoW or FFXIV, and this includes DCUO as well.

Overall, yes. The game is worth playing and I would recommend subscribing if you enjoy the game.
    • Like x 2
  14. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

While my answer is similar to yours, I'd say you actually show why the cash cap will not be changing, they want to make money and have a subscription based community.

I haven't seen it in a while, but there used to be language somewhere that said they give members priority over everything else.

I understand that people will not like it or see it as a perk, but it was a perk for membership when giving feedback or looking for help.
    • Like x 1
  15. ALB Dedicated Player

In the end it's 50 cent a day
  16. dresserball Dedicated Player

Why do you think things should be given to everyone? You use the words core mechanics to which I don't understand fully what you mean.
  17. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

Core mechanics, tied to your progression or affect directly your gameplay.
    Essential:

• DLCs are tied to your progression, therefore, are essential simply by having those 14 days of reset on raids for free players would be the bare minimum.
    • Utility belt affects your gameplay, therefore is essential.
    • Lair/Mainframe affect your gameplay, explosive block, sc generation, etc, therefore is essential.
    • Crafting items that affect your gameplay are essential like Chrono and dampening fields, some tank powers lack the ability to cc adds or sustain against a hard hitting boss.
    • Repair own gear, literally u not gonna face that 260 cr boss whit a broken helmet and doing 1 damage whit fisting.
    Not Essential:
    • Shield, water, atomic, rage, hl, etc aren't essential.
    • Opening promitium boxes isn't essential.
    • Free 150 replays/500db isn't essential.
    • Broker as a member perk itself and the reason most people sub, even essential, could be a member only perk restricted only by the escrow. (By being restricted to the broker you lose almost all chances to get any kind of sexy cosmetic you want. Do you see those Comic materials thread runts? Well you don't make one cause you know u will never get one;D easy)
    • Ability to unlock all legends pvp, even though they are essential to your sp progression, could be a member perk.
    • Opening more tc as a member is not essential, therefore is an ok member perk.
    • Having multi alts inst essential, that's a luxury.
    • Like x 1
  18. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

• Hometurf isn't essential. Everything in-the game can be completed without it, I know because I have a cr 180 toon with 170 SP and I never paid Home Turf Rent at all. Do you even know what Explosive Block does? All it does is send the adds flying when you block them, it's not essential to the game at all. As a matter of fact, in the stats-revamp they've nerfed Home Turf Mods even further so they're even less needed now than they were before.
    • Utility belts are nice, but they aren't needed. They provide the same CR boost and go in the same slot as your trinket does. The only thing Utility belts do is let you have more trinkets. Not essential.
    • Tanks don't need to crowd control lol. Their Job is to Tank. The Crowd Control aspect is always for the controller role. Period. If your focused on Crowd Control instead of providing safe-haven for the rest of the group, please don't bother being my tank in group runs.
    • You can repair gear as long as your premium. 2K is all that you need. Need Extra Cash? Get some colas on hand, sell them, repair gear again. Boom.
    Your clearly trying too hard to push for everything to be just handed out to you without paying or even subscribing to the game, Do you even own the Lair/MainFrame system and use Explosive Block? I don't think you do because you say it's essential when it's clearly not.
    How many people do you see running with Explosive Block? Honestly, I'd like to know because I never see anybody run with that.
    Also I find it hillarious that you say Legends aren't essential even though it's attached to feats in the game. Don't feats mean more skill points? I'm pretty sure Skill Points affect gameplay too buddy.
    I mean you can continue to push for this to happen on every single thread you come across; the only thing your proving is how much knowledge your lacking as far as DCUO goes lol.
    • Like x 4
  19. majosea Dedicated Player

for me there are reasons not so sub and I would sub if new perks was added
    1. Open 1 time capsule per day. We deserve more than just extra fragments.
    2 .Remove the seals and catalyst And reduce the grind of artifacts and adaptive augments. We have no time to enjoy our artifacts before new ones come out.
    3.new market place styles add to the game every month . if your a member you should get the style of the month for free,
    4.more episodes, less TC's. I feel like it should be 4 episodes per year instead of the 2 to 3 we get now.
    5. No more open 100X chest, no more 100X add weeklies. Reduce it to 50 at most, I want to get done with my weeklies not be put to sleep by this grind fest.
    6. Generator power cells should be online all the time, make it a 1 time mark sink and be done with it.
    • Like x 1
  20. Terri Ashra Committed Player

Ok the easy answer is yes but if you're a penny pincher here's what you do. Buy membership, make 16 characters and start them all off with shield. I'd recommend 1 of each power but that's up to you. Then get them all to the maximum level content available, drop membership and just buy the newest dlc/episodes.

From there you can do whatever you want, play all roles, rerun content and do whatever role is necessary. You'll max out your gear, artifacts and have the highest chance of getting your main all the styles and feats, not to mention having a huge bank system for storing and transferring gear. You'll learn how to fight against every power and it's just a good investment if you really like the game
    • Like x 1