Classic Server for DCUO (Community Support Needed and also Daybreak Feedback Please!)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BƖack, Feb 12, 2019.

1. BƖack Dedicated Player

[IMG]

At the beginning i would like to thank MrMigraine & Arqueiro Robusto for this. It's them who first came up with this idea on DCUO forums. So once again thanks a lot guys! :)

Threads: DCUO Classic, Proposal for PvP fix -> DCUO Classic Server.

***Please support threads like the ones above it's very important if you actually want see server like that and DCUO kicking at its best once again.Ty!***

So more or less we already know why pvp cannot be changed after Mepps's last reponse in my thread:

@DaybreakGames This is sad that it is difficult for you to fix anything with current PVP for the reasons described above. In this situation i think that the best solution for you would be to set up a Classic Server for DCUO on separated client (I mean real Classic from launch yet better P2P era). It would not require much to do to just copy n' paste folllowing patches on separated client. You guys lose nothing but how much fun it will bring to us. I place it here that if you would set up such server just saying it here i'm ready to even pay monthly membership if such server would exist.

Just remember the fun!. Here's my plea for Classic and what more or less it would contain and wouldn't:

- Launch content only

- Classic Server would be on separated client (to play it you would have to download another client and game again)

- It would be permanent or temporary depends what the devs would decide (I personally prefer to make it temporary for 2 or 3 months just for the start and see how it goes. Then if it's very successful make it permanent)

- Updated if there's such possibility with all current Legend PVP Avatars

- No Weapon Mastery, Advaced Mechanics, Revamp, Legends PVE etc PLEASE Do not bring current content from live to the classic server, Would be nice to have a pure pvp server without any future updates that screwed up everything what's good in PVP things like WM, AM, Revamp etc..

- No RNG like Time Capsules, Booster Bundles and cosmetics that contaign in these

- No P2W Rotations with Nerfing and Buffing Powers

- Old Marks of Krypton for completeing FOS 1-2-3 (This is what i miss the most)

- Influence gain for doing PVP

- Old UI

- Jump Cancel & Screen Shake FX effects

- Rock>Paper>Scissors> & >Heal > Tank >Troll> Rule

- Old consumables and possibility to use trinkets like Snowman or Penguin's Gun-brella etc in PVP as it was back then

- No new powers, 6 basic only for now:
    • Fire
    • Gadgets
    • Ice
    • Mental
    • Nature
    • Sorcery
    What i mean is litellary everything as it was back then at launch. And If possible in future updates go for Fight for the Light, Lightning Strikes and Battle for Earth DLCs for the 3 missing powers which imo were rocking around the watchtower in its best days. There is way more things for classic server but i'm currently out of with more ideas but if you know more write it underneath please! Also small request @Mepps would it be possible to actually make survey for DCUO Classic Server? I believe that numerous players and my friends too will be hyped to play on that also the ones who had no opportunity to actually play old dcuo, they could try it now on this time on that server and taste the golden age of DCUO.

What is your opinion on that would such server be a good thing and come in handy? Or maybe u think opposite?

T-h-o-u-g-h-t-s??

[IMG]
    For reading and your time!
    • Like x 6
  2. spack2k Steadfast Player

only 6 powers... i wouldnt be interested into that and i am sure it will delay the dev team from releasing current content but if it wouldnt effect it then why not ... i wouldnt play on that classic server just for pvp tho since i already experienced the classic pve content.
  3. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

I wouldn’t be interested. If it brings people back, sure, but it wouldn’t help pve now. The ques are bad and population stinks. I fear the damage is done and it’s too late for them to go back. The primary focus is pve and making money. I don’t see them ever entertaining this idea.
  4. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

im not against the idea but is such a thing possible for this mmo, comparing it to wow, wow has been around a much much longer time than dcuo.
  5. Trexlight Devoted Player

Why waste Dev time on this when we need more work done on the current game?
    • Like x 4
  6. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

I very much doubt that question holds any sincerity whatsoever. But just in case it does....reading the OP will give you your answer.
    • Like x 2
  7. Trexlight Devoted Player

I already read it and i even re-read it hoping to find whatever you mean and its not there. The WoW Classic server certainly peaks my interest as a Vanilla player but its there for nostalgia, nothing more. Same with this idea. Its not the answer to fixing PVP, just reliving a glory day that only splits the playerbase and lessens the main game. I understand folks dismay over PVP not being looked at right now, but this server is not the answer.

This server isnt much a "copy and paste" as coding doesnt work like that. Im sure the Devs have the original stored somewhere sure but thats old code on new tech that is not compatible. You're then needing to re-code so it does fit and thats time taking away from the main game which can go to future content or the like. If it was so easy, Blizzard would have just released the WoW Classic instantly but they cant, because they have to recode to fit new tech like the actual servers.

I certainly dont hate the idea but its not the answer to fixing PVP as the OP seems to think so no, as my opinion which asked, its not good to have this classic server as it doesnt warrant the man/woman power to run it on Daybreak's end.

And my question had sincerity and its an actual, logical question and even before I posted this, i scanned throug hthe post 2 more times and still dont see the answer you mention to my question.
    • Like x 6
  8. BƖack Dedicated Player

Creating server like this for sure isn't waste of time

1. It doesn't require much effort and resources to actually make it happened
    2. It gves that opportinity for the Company to start everything from the scratch and done things right.
    3. Here i will speak for myself. Server like this would satisfy me a lot especially because of nostalgia and PVP state back then.
    4. Daybreak lose nothing creating such server.
    • Like x 1
  9. Trexlight Devoted Player

1. it does take effort and resources to make it happen as i explained in the post above (we probably posted at the same time
    2. A Classic server isnt like a sequel, it just goes back to an old way of coding. EQ currently has it but then again, they have been around much longer so the idea can work but I'm also sure EQ has a larger Dev team working on it.
    3. Thats correct it serves only for nostalgia which isnt a bad thing for the player, but not good too much for the population since everyone claims its so low, why split it even more?
    4. They lose quite a lot honestly. People who could be working on the Live Game are now spending time on the Classic Game. If the Devs cant put time into fixing PVP, which is more logical, then why and how would they have the time to create and work on a Classic Server? Wouldn't that effort be better used to work on PVP itself? We are basically asking a Dev Team to work on 2 games while trying to be profitable on one and the other just sitting there using resources and time and possibly not making any money. You then have to think the Players on the Classic will want the next episodes like you suggested so now the Devs have to work on those old Episodes while they could be working on new ones. Classic Server cant just stop at Battle for Earth, that community will want the other Episodes too because just like on the Main game, things get stale.

I dont really hate the idea of a Classic Server, it would feel the nostalgia but the Cons to making it happen at this juncture in the game and the reasoning behind are not strong enough. Time on PVP now would be better spent then having them work on a Classic Server.
    • Like x 4
  10. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

actually 1 and four kinda um....well lets just say this if it requires any time and or effort to do the supposed blah game then yes daybreak will lose those 2 things.

as for number 2 they could start from scratch and do things right just as easily with a dcuo 2.0......
  11. BƖack Dedicated Player

I agree i'm not sure how many devs actually work on DCUO atm but you're right that large team have more possibilities.

I completely forgot about that. This is important i didn't know that daybreak has hands full of work and actually have limited staff to do that. But i have just one question, because most people lost their faith even i because since 4 years nothing was touched in pvp tell me how i'm supposted to believe that something will change with pvp on live? after so many years of people asking to fix pvp also the surveys '' i personally voted to fix pvp x2'' to this day nothing i asked was done.

Don't get me wrong Trexlight but i just can't , i simply don't know how to believe that something is going to change with pvp on live :p.
  12. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

You had me right up until only 6 powersets. Sorry, that would be a deal-breaker for me.
  13. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

I suppose i'll start by pointing out it was a loaded question which adds weight to it not being entirely sincere ('waste dev resources' being the proverbial 'load'). From that we can then understand that no answer that Black gives can satisfy the premise of the question since it's predicated on the idea already being a 'waste of dev time'.

I agree with everything you said in your later posts regarding the idea yet I can still understand from the OP's point of view that they thought it was a good idea. And I think they attempted to present in the OP the reasons they thought it was a good idea, which stripped of any loading is what your question boils down to (why do you think this is a good idea?). I believe if you sincerely look at the post you will see that. Not agreeing with the reasoning should not be considered the same as showing no reasons at all.
    • Like x 2
  14. Proxystar #Perception

splitting what people allege is an already shrinking community.

Yeah sorry OP, but this idea is just simply not happening.
    • Like x 2
  15. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I don't think DCUO will ever get a classic server, and that's just because it's not really in the development team's best interest to implement it.
    Beyond just the profiting reasons, you got to remember that DCUO in it's prime also had it's fair share of issues that people still gripe about to this day.

A DCUO classic would:
    Bring the focus back on clipping and Jump-cancelling, this would appeal to veterans; but newer players from the AM era of the game probably wouldn't play it due to it requiring more than just mashing buttons.
    Require controllers to once again be batteries. POT. POT. POT.
    Require people to be only stuck with the 6 powersets.
    Would still feature balancing issues, something that has always existed since DCUO's been out.
    Would lack content, you'd basically would probably be only able to run up to the Penguin solo or something like that as a PVE player.
    Would probably be "cash grab" heavy and have some form of TC's like the current game does.
    Would cause lesser DLC's for the current game, because resources and man-power would be dedicated to working on the classic server.

Don't get me wrong; I'm in favor of a Classic Server; but unlike World of Warcraft which has both been out longer and has accomplished a ton more than DCUO ever will and probably has a much larger dev team. DCUO is just better off working on the current game and trying to improve it.
  16. StealthBlue Loyal Player

RPS for heal, tank, troll wasn't there when the game launched, and is one thing that many people disagree with. So it sounds like you really want the devs to spend time making a special version of the game that is built to your preferences for PvP.

As Mepps mentioned, everyone has their own idea of what they want PvP to be. If there was agreement beyond "I don't like the state is currently in", there could be some progress. As it stands, it would be best to allow players to define certain rules in game on the fly, but that would be a coding add balancing nightmare. There have been issues in the past we able attempt to balance PvP broke PvE (as vice versa), so just imagine how difficult it would be to balance across multiple possibilities of PvP rule sets and PvE.
    • Like x 1
  17. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

It's a very good idea, but I'm gonna have to agree with others. This wont fix anything, and honestly, I would really rather they spend time on fixing PvP rather than making something that won't help or hurt my toon.

Also, while I would be tickled pink of PvP was run the old, old way with RPS and stuff. This won't happen again, ever. We have to many dps in the game, which brought about the dumb movement debuffs.

IMO, if you read that statement Mepps posted some months back about PvP and how the community can't agree. Well, this is correct. If they would 1, find a decent way to make money from it, and 2, put on their big boy pants and lay out HOW pvp will work. Not is this ok? Leaving pvp changes to players started the long downfall.
    • Like x 1
  18. Xibo Loyal Player

No way to monetizing, so, won't happen.
  19. Arqueiro Robusto Well-Known Player

I want to say clearly you are done wrong. It's easy to check out certain revisions from a repository. "Technology" just doesn't change overnight or within a few years that makes things obsolete. A big example of that is a piece of software called Eggdrop that runs a lot of the same old archaic code from the 1990s. It's not hard. I AM a software developer. I will say clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

People only want a classic server for one thing: PvP and pre-WM PvE.

Classic servers have shown to work and have been very popular. Publishers of Tera have done it and the servers are very popular and brought back many old players. Also Bluehole/Enmasse put out a new PvP update on Tera and their population went back up.

And really you ask: HOW DO YOU MAKE THINGS PROFITABLE?

Have you not looked around and saw that most of the highest grossing games right now are PvP based?

How to make money: Sell styles and don't exploit your player base.
    • Like x 1
  20. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

Um...

Sorry OP, your idea is nice but not gonna happen at this point with this game. The devs would need to find funding for them and the extra dedicated hands to start and keep a classic server running, not to mention the player support.

I still play EQ and a couple of the classic servers; the nostalgia is great!

Allow me to shed some light on the classic EQ servers:

First of all.. THEY ARE NOT FREE. You have to have an All Access membership in order to play them.

Second, those servers have two flavors: progression and classic. The classic server presents the game as it was originally launched in 1999 and the progression server adds classic content via timeline simulation and/or player votes. Progression servers also have the updated graphics and play much faster than the classic one.

Third, since those servers are being funded, EQ has the resources and the player support to keep them going for awhile. I believe there are 5 classic servers now with a new one coming out next month. Each classic server starts from a specific episode release point in the game. Also, EQ has a lot more older content to work with; the game has 25 expansions now.

Here is a link to get a better idea: https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-what-is-a-progression-server

So, as others have said before me, PVP needs the kind of love that you want to give to a classic server. I think PVP and players who support it deserve that.