"This game is so underrated." Thank you Devs.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by The Blue Flame, Jan 21, 2019.

1. The Blue Flame New Player

This title was a quote from a random YT post but it's very true. The game in it's initial launch, was created in the shadow of the Lord of the rings movies. I believe the attention to detail in LOTR movie sets, designs and iconic costumes / weapons rubbed off on MMO games during that time. As a result so much CARE was put into this game that it came out superior to everything else. Go under an elevated road in Gotham and what do you see? Random Graffiti. Things that regular players take for granted. The immersion and level of detail is off the hook. The atmosphere in the cities and environments are top notch!

I've been playing online games since 1999. I'm not boasting when I say, I've seen and played my fair share of MMO's. None of the current ones can hold a candle to DCUO in terms of immersion, playability and fun factor. Some of the initial gripes I had with DCUO have gone away. The Devs listen to players. The game evolves, grows and becomes even more awesome each year.

If Warner bros. exec are reading this, allow me to acknowledge your work in making this IP a valuable and bankable one. Following the immensely successful release of (1 billion $) Aquaman movie, i'd like to share my humble suggestion to you. Give these Game Developers instant $ raises for their work! Nothing increases ticket sales like #1 Brand Loyalty and #2 Word of Mouth. The best way to foster this good will toward DC & make it grow, is through your properties like DCUO. Nurture it, feed it, love it even... and the fan base, as loyal as it is, will come through for you every time.

Happy 8th anniversary DCUO. Long like the Devs!
    • Like x 10
  2. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Still my favorite game ever.

+1
    • Like x 1
  3. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

Such a good, words. Dont feel like trashing it:3 Are you proud proxy?:3
  4. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

The only thing really bad about DCUO is the UI. I'd really love to see them hire a dev team to fix that...
  5. Proxystar #Perception

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  6. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

It would be great if the game could be ported to UE4.
  7. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

what would it gain from that?
  8. BA Baracus Well-Known Player

I do agree that this is a great game. I have left for greener pastures only to come back three times. My favorite element is the flying. DCUO is truly three dimensional. Love that
    • Like x 1
  9. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i agree up to a point. the game itself IS very detailed, most MMO's with this level of graphics also don't have much in the way of character customization and if they do it's static and rigid. the world itself is interesting, especially inside missions, however i do wish they'd expand on content type and in doing so increase the variety of environments to explore. one thing marvel heroes did right was the difference in enemy types and mission environments from oriental singapore to asgard. as amazing as dcuo is on the character customization and world building/story telling part, they could use some influence from other past games, for example does anybody realize we have no real tutorial at all for a game where half the content is 8 player group reliant raids? the game literally teaches nothing except the most basic in game functions all the way up to tier 4 and then throws the fortress of solitude raids at us where most are woefully unprepared. i like the game but i feel a few things would benefit it: 1. some advertising; our last ad for dcuo was afIII. kingdom hearts III comes out in 9 days and i've already seen 3 advertisements for it., 2. expanding upon the fact that dcuo is a subsidary of DC by including characters like katana, constantine, etc and introducing more of the world than just gotham and metropolis with a few isolated locations thrown in. give it the full on marvel heroes/final fantasy/WoW treatment. and 3. for the love of all that's holy and celestial put a tutorial in pre-level 30 and include one in each of the cr skips. one game i forgot to mention is champions online, the graphics went down the toilet but the environments and open world/dlc's are diverse and look decent enough for the graphics engine.
    • Like x 3
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

To expand a bit on the details mentioned in the OP, there was a screenshot I took recently of one of my characters running through the streets of Metropolis. It was originally done to show off his outfit, but I liked it enough to use it as a desktop background on my PC.

The other day I was zoning out a bit after closing a window and took a look at the street in the screenshot. There are cracks in the roads and the kind of wear-and-tear you'd see in a city street. There's even parts that look like repairs that can be made without having to rip up and redo the entire section of road.

[IMG]

Granted, the white curvy parts don't look like what you'd normally see in repairs made on cracks like that, but it's definitely something I recognize from small scale road repair work. LOL

It's one of the reasons I think complaints about the graphics can be a bit overinflated. No, they aren't the newest of the new of shiniest of the shiny, but they still hold up very well.
    • Like x 3
  11. recoil2 Dedicated Player

agreed. compared to WoW (where armor looks like spray on shoes and nothing better is available to most class roles) and champions online (where textures look like playdoh on characters) dcuo has some amazing graphics, it's what they decide to do with them that limits daybreak right now. running through nearly any other series of MMO/online game that isn't warframe or a scifi MMO will show just how little dcuo has actually worked on their world building. champions online takes the player anywhere from a ghost town full of spectres and surrounded by irradiated mutants to under the ocean to an atlantis like city to the literal end of the world with angels and demons invading, kingdom hearts is kingdom hearts, and marvel heroes before it's plug got yanked had everything from the prehistoric savage lands to new york and singapore to asgard, and all of them looked interesting. i was ecstatic that we would finally get somethign like gotham zoo, until i realized i'd be rushed through it by 7 impatient, barely competent players who cared only about ending the mission as fast as possible. atlantis and the upcoming episode 34 showed/shows that the devs CAN do stuff with the DC license and be creative, they just have to try. personally i'm wondering why we never saw super man;s fortress of solitude alien zoo 0_o?
    • Like x 1
  12. SkullGang Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  13. The Blue Flame New Player

You have a lot of valid points. I also feel like new players could really benefit from some tutorial love. (esp past lv 30) As I said before, a few years ago there was SO MUCH high level content, that new players could never hope to take advantage of. I personally could not access it because my CR was below lv 100, and it was frustrating. Now there is level scaling and it has really improved the game. GJ Devs!

I think there is SO MUCH to be done insofar as the feats. It's daunting and overwhelming. Maybe there could be some sort of guide? Everquest had a similar problem as far as content. There was so much game content the player had no idea where to go. After a while they updated EQ with a system that gave players some pointers on what area they should go to each time that they leveled.

I hope DC promotes this game heavily with TV commercials and so on, but that fact is that the best advertisement is through word of mouth. it's up to players to invite friends and relatives to play with them. DCUO is awesome.
    • Like x 1
  14. The Blue Flame New Player

Awesome screenshot. Really, you can feel the love the Developers had for the IP when they made this MMO. Great story!
  15. dresserball Dedicated Player

They had to nerf the tutorial on the brainiac ship because people couldn't find their movement mode. They put in stairs for those people and then bypassed the counter mechanics later on in the ship.
    • Like x 2
  16. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

You’re a new player coming into the game the way it is “now” so you don’t know half of the “ups and downs” of this game. People who have been there and done that know all about the way the game has changed over the years. I personally would say that there is a lot that needs to be fix and addressed. It’s nice that you enjoy the game but from me to you, there are some things that you are lucky you didn’t have to experience through the games growth.
  17. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

Not coming at you or anything, but do you have any idea how much a difference going from UE3 to UE4 is? I am currently doing game design myself in school and let me tell you that the difference is huge. Having a better Game Engine in general would allow us to do certain things to materials, ability effects, meshes, vectors on clothes, environmental changes or destruction etc. A lot of our limitations come from the Game Engine and Hardware used for optimization.
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So basically, make it look pretty. Or prettier, anyhow. LOL

We have to keep in mind that we're talking about a game that's almost a decade old, with a history (acknowledged by you in another post) that is less than ideal. The devs have said many times that switching engines would be a massive undertaking, akin to making a whole new game. I'm kinda doubtful the resources would be there to pull something like that off for any of their games, much less an older one with such a history.

And as long as they have the game across multiple platforms including consoles and insist on giving players the same experience across all the platforms, there will always be limitations. Even with the horsepower available in Sony and Microsoft's current consoles, they are limited because they're static.

I can understand wanting to see improvements, but I don't think they can justify the cost on something that massive that isn't guaranteed to bring a return, especially when the game still looks good after the years.
    • Like x 1
  19. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

With there being no current Marvel MMO, and some recent DC movies having been well received, it could make sense for Warner to fund a separate team to port the game as it exists to UE4.
    In a game where customisation is one of the key elements, BETTER customisation is a no-brainer.
    Running on a current gen engine rather than a last gen (at best) one is only going to be a positive.
    Plus, it could open up the possibility of a Switch port, although that may still be possible under UE3, I'm not sure.
  20. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

Actually, forget everything said in my previous post, too late to edit.

I rarely play DCUO these days, and part of the reason is it feels very similar to the moment I started playing on the day of release.
    Yes, many things have changed since then, but the core game, the mechanics feel just the same.

I'm not really complaining, as I know it wouldn't be easy to make things feel fresh to someone who's been here since day 1.