How Can We Encourage Support Roles? (DEVS MUST READ)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by hotsizz1e03, Jan 22, 2019.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That wouldn't encourage the DiPS to actually do their role any more than it already does
  2. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

Yes, it would, now you have the gear, nothing is letting you back in chasing your support role. You no longer have to buy it. This would be more than enough to support a hybrid playstyle(support role/dps role), people will not have more excuses to not do their support role, unless of course if they really really don't want too.
    Having people whit capability to play both roles, highly increase the chance of your team success, would be nice see devs incentivizing the following play style. But Jacks needs money, and it's unclear how these measures could influence replays purchases. But either way, I don't need it, I already do my both roles. So enjoy suffering on lfg:D
  3. lukelucky Devoted Player

the devs made dcuo like this. We complained and complained content was to easy and dps stacking was an issue but as usual they blatantly ignored the community and know.....

I'd guess the support roles are a small minority and talented support role players lol gone.

Horrible decision making crippled dcuo
    • Like x 1
  4. Proxystar #Perception

That's just population difference. More people more undesirables
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

No, it has been that way always
  6. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Why we even have to say incentive is kinda odd. That denotes that you have to force people to support.

You don't. With my 210 token i literally have 3 endgame support roles now.

No incentive is needed. All the people currently only working their dps side and only making an effort to care about dpsing are the problem.

Support is fun for people who already like the game.

I love watching health bars and power bars fill up just as much as doing damage
    • Like x 4
  7. WesPypes3679 Committed Player

I agree. I enjoy being the "life support" for dps's. Too many people want easy mode. The challenge is what keeps me engaged. Tanking, trolling, healing, all come with their own challenge...especially in LFG and Pug groups, lol.

I enjoy making builds, for dps and support alike. Support should have the name changed to better suit them. Imo...DPS are the support not the life blood.
    • Like x 5
  8. ColdFuzion Well-Known Player

It's nothing complicated - Playing dps role is comfortable and people rarely get criticism for it because some other OP dps picks up the damage. If you do not play a support role well its like a lamb to the slaughter! The entire raid team turn against you and it stops them from ever trying again.

I blame the community with their lack of patience and understanding with people trying to PLAY support roles.

Overall, if a player as the right mentality to overcome the criticism and go on to play the support role well they are amongst the most skilful in the game.
    • Like x 4
  9. Proxystar #Perception

The population has always been bigger.

That being said children admire heroes more than villians and more children play on the hero side too, more children equals more childish behavior.

The trouble is you act like it's without reason and that villian players are somehow fundamentally more moral people etc.

It's ridiculous.
    • Like x 3
  10. Lugo Well-Known Player

I think most of the problem is that when people play a game, they want to be The Guy. They want to feel like they are the main character and I don't believe it's any different for MMOs. The old scoreboard really enabled this by putting the hardest hitting DPS at the very top. Everyone wants to be #1, everyone leans towards the easy route, everyone wants big flashy numbers. DPS offers all of that.

For me, being The Guy is being the tank, usually there's only 1 tank who has to take on most of the force of the mission. It's super cool and I love the concept. It's definitely satisfying to see you've quadrupled the amount of damage received than the next guy, so that's a way you could get those numbers guys on board with tanking. I think the tank role could be the second easiest of the 3 to make appealing, but then, would your everyday DPS want the added responsibility? Again, DPS is the easiest role, set up your PIs and blast stuff. It's almost like CoD?

As for trolls, I think it's fun to blast out power for the team. You're The Guy in the sense that everyone relies on you - to an extent - to use their superpowers. I like to feel like my debuffs are critical to the survival of the team, but we all know that isn't the case most of the time. And CC is more like an added bonus than a tide-turner in most cases also. I'd think the fact that everyone needs power is enough incentive to play a troll, so maybe put more urgency on debuffs and CC? Maybe the devs could design raids in a way that it is MUCH slower to complete content without debuffs and CC? Or is this already the case? I don't play much these days tbh loool

In my years on DC I've barely healed. I feel like everyone always thought of healing as the dweeb of the MMO classes. Or a girl thing, lol. I think it would be hard to make it more appealing, but the incentive is definitely there. Want to survive to the end of the raid or not? Maybe give healers a group buff on top of the healing they do. So the trolls would have debuffs, the healer would have buffs and the tanks would have aggro. Maybe this could put more emphasis on teamwork and the roles having to help each other out?

But in my opinion, people don't play to help each other out, they play to help themselves FIRST. So the concept of a "support role" is immediately looked down on.

This could definitely help remove some of the lameness of playing these roles. If you ask me, they're all support roles since we're all supposed to be supporting each other.

The devs don't ACTUALLY want people to play, they just want people to buy. You ever wonder how many problems would be fixed if the focus was less on profit and more on fun? This is definitely one of them.

I'm definitely, DEFINITELY guilty of being antisocial. I'm like that in person so it definitely carries over in everything I do. I usually want nothing to do with anyone lol but I somehow like the company? I'm trying to bring up some low CR alts and it is impossible to get a nice chunk of older content done. What I could have done in a day will take me like 2 or 3 now. There just isn't anyone doing any old content and ESPECIALLY not any of the open world stuff. But I recently made a hero and it was almost strange to me when I saw people asking to form groups in shout?? For open world missions??? Amazing. These hero dweebs are REALLY helping each other?? Amazing.

Cliques are ugly and lame though, booo, booooo

People set the bar so high for themselves. You don't need both of your roles to be amazing, thought it would be a nice personal achievement. Agreed 300%

i gotta stop with this fat ugly posts..
  11. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

I have to respectfully disagree; it's a choice to not have 2 sets of gear, not a lame excuse. It is not required to have 2 sets of gear to play any content; if it was the mechanics of the raids would have players changing gear in the between sub bosses, for example. Some people are better at focusing on one role at a time for each character.

For me, it is my personal choice; I rather focus on one role at a time for each character than to have to change back and forth. I like to try to use as many of my alts as possible and focusing them on one role each allows me to do that. If I get into a raid as a healer and there is already a healer, I usually leave because my healer is not geared for DPS and there is a good chance that I will have to be the one to switch. I will never gear any of my toons for DPS because that role is super saturated in this game to the point of boredom for me.
    • Like x 2
  12. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

Guys guys.. I think we are truly derailing.. I understand to YOU PERSONALLY you may like to play SUPPORT ROLES but besides DPS stacking is that the ONLY SOLUTION.??????. That seems HIGHLY IMPROBABLE.. Im pretty sure there are multiple solutions.. What else can we do to help the devs out with some suggestions????

Once again the villain side is very low on population and not MUCH people play support roles.. NOt speaking of YOU but the current experience on the villain side in general..

The Hero and villain LFG Merge... seems to make the most sense.. But wouldnt you guys want to see PERKS exclusive for SUPPORT ROLES THO??? I think that could encourage more playability in roles...
  13. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

heres a thought... get rid of the scoreboard. no more scoreboard no more scoreboard chasers and without scoreboard chasers the better chance we have of ppl not trying to measure their genitalia with how badass they think they are in game.
    make it easier to obtain a 2nd armory, like a collection or Briefing/Investigation reward (tradelocked of course), because the most often used reason as to why some ppl wont switch is they don't have a second armory.

or even next time you see someone calling another player trash (because its usually some tool in dps calling a healer/troll/tank trash) step up and defend the poor guy(or gal). Who really wants to be called a trash *insert role here*? no one, so why should ppl learn how to be a troll tank healer when some tools always calling you trash and no ones arguing with it.
    • Like x 3
  14. Darth Jafo Well-Known Player

Villain has always had a lower population count than Hero. Started out that way at launch on both PC and Xbox at least. After the Hack it got even worse. At least now you have the Task Force X, but still need a cross-lfg channel to make that actually work for us
    • Like x 2
  15. recoil2 Dedicated Player

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

What is ridiculous is that you basically labelled it a villain problem
    Never said villains were 'saints', in fact even said there a blerks on the Villain side, just have found there to be disproportionally more on the Hero side, and that has always been the case
    So what is it? Is it a villainous thing? Or a childish thing?
  17. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Or make the "scoreboard" only show your stats... how much damage you did, how much healing, power resupply, etc. Everyone else is just, "Other team members" with no stats next to them. Put your line on top... everyone else under you. Voila! You're in first place. :)
  18. Proxystar #Perception

Further conversation on this point would derail the thread so i won't discuss it more here
    • Like x 3
  19. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

Sometimes being the Tank, or Troll, or Healer is a reward all in itself.

It's nice being a healer... and knowing that everything you pug into has at least 1 mediocre healer in it. Or being the Tank and knowing that at least there's gonna be someone pulling the adds. The little I troll, it's awesome throwing out those debuffs and knowing the other peeps' game is easier.

I have a DPS toon... and find myself wondering "hey, we sure could use a tank/troll/healer in here" and then realize... there's people out there that are glad when I run those roles. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Or... maybe it's the coffee. Either way, it feels good to run roles.
    • Like x 2
  20. majosea Dedicated Player

how about giving the player base 2 free armorys instead of just one .
    not saying it would fix things it would just help
    a little .
    • Like x 2