Tanking Tips

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Shago1594, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Shago1594 Active Player

Hey, so I just switched from Electric DPS/Heal to Rage DPS/Tank with sitting at 247cr but with only 195sp.
    I've never played tank before and I've been wondering if my low amount of SP is even acceptable for the role at this point. Any tips for a Rookie Tank?
  2. L T Devoted Player

If you don't use a microphone, start.

Adjust your audio settings so you can clearly hear your rage crash que.

Join a league, and offer to tank some easier raids. If you must pug, run the Hive raid as a DPS and offer to help tank the first boss.

You can get some practice with the general mechanics of tanking in alerts, but know that raids are way harder. Another good place to practice is running applied science solo.

Understand that Rage no longer has per-add mechanics, so unless you have lots of Electric Dps players in your run pulling lots of adds in hallways only stresses your healer and slows things down.
    • Like x 2
  3. Version San Diego Active Player

Serpentine
    • Like x 1
  4. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Just to add to what LT said. Practice, practice, practice. Watch a YouTube on the raid you are think of trying. Look at the mechanics of the boss fights. This is primarily where you'll know of you can tank or not. If you ever did PvP, it will definitely help with tanking for counters. These are very important for all tanks. Even tanks cant be healed thru 1 shots. Also, some mechanics require you to counter the boss to cancel some special attack at the group. Countering is very important to learn.

Next, learn your power and the powers you'll be using. Don't go into a raid, or elite raid, using tanking powers for the first time. It would probably be a fail.

Stay active. Dps will crowd you, especially in hallways. Learn to keep ahead of the group.

Use consumables, I like the chrono and dazing ones.

If your not going for damage. Grab you a PvE break out trinket. I found it very useful. I believe the highest CR one is in the Watchtower with the insect gear.

Positioning the boss also helps. Not all bosses are able to be moved to where you want them, but some you can.

I felt pretty solid on my tanking skills in most raids. The problem I always have are NPCs in boss fights. I'm part blind, so I don't always see them spawn. My buddy was a troll and helped. It's not a bad thing to ask, or send a private tell, the troll to help with CC of NPC. Most should have no problem with this request.
    • Like x 2
  5. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Yea, check out your rage timer. I think at about 9 o clock on the cooldown circle is when people usually cancel.

No matter what power though you need to keep adds in a tight group, pull them as soon as they pop up. Learn how to counter and turn the boss away from people.

Try not just use a pull then sit there and block. It screams inexperienced.
  6. Mazahs Loyal Player

If you are looking at cool down on power you can activate Rage Crash cancel after 6 o'clock. Crash will happen right around 9 o'clock. If you can master the timing- you can get rid of reducer power and use something like Without Mercy to get a nice 360 pull. Its also a nice juggle too
    • Like x 1
  7. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Yea thanks for correcting me 9 o clock seemed off.
  8. Yaiba Committed Player

Play without Rage Crash ;)
    • Like x 1
  9. Shago1594 Active Player

Thank you guys!
  10. Disruptor Well-Known Player

For your weapon socket put in regenerative blaster and in your hand armor socket put regenerative shielding. Chest armor socket? I'm not sure.
  11. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Go to Titan Island and see how many of the robots by cyborgs workshop you can pull and for how long you can maintain all the adds before you die. Make a game out of it so you have fun and don’t get burnt out. Each time to two hold more and for longer.
  12. Thunderstrikke Well-Known Player

I've been a long time Tank, but just switched to Rage in the last 3 weeks, so I'm in the learning boat as well. One thing really important with rage - either get an immunity trinket (available in the watchtower/ HOD vendors) or run with the group breakout. Pop either before you pop the ability to negate the rage crash; this will ensure you don't get interrupted and miss hitting it.
  13. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

14. Mazahs Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  15. Mazahs Loyal Player

I know a few who do this. They are NOT the typical DCUO player