Star Wars, The Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Idiots are still gonna boycott though.

And I guarantee there will be harassment towards Naomi Ackie, so we need to start supporting her to drown out the hate immediately.
    • Like x 1
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Why would she be harassed? o_O
  3. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

That is sadly, the standard operating procedure of the toxic fandom.

There are any number of reasons why people will harass her. Her race, gender, the character and of course just simply being apart of the current SW world, to which the haters believe to be the worst crime of all.
    • Like x 1
  4. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

So, they are ignoring that crap about making the Mandalorian's pacifists with the Fett's being renegades? Or whatever that crap that got that writer so angry was about
  6. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

No they aren't, that all still happened.

Much happened to Mandalore during the time of the Galactic Empire but Death Watch with Maul's help pretty much ended the pacifist government during the Clone Wars.

They initially did a successful coup of Mandalore but egos got in the way, things were done (betrayal of Maul for one, Maul killing Duchess Satine to spite Obi-Wan was another) and Mandalore was sent into a civil war.

Another civil war happens in the last season of Rebels (one year before ANH), which is over the Empire.

If the reports are true about the subject of the show, we should learn about what happened after the events in Rebels.

As for the Fett's. It seems that the Mandalorians never felt there was a reason to change their position on Jango's status of not being one of them. So he is still officially a renegade and pretender.
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Admittedly, most of this is completely new to me, have only seen a few episodes of Rebels (or was it Clone Wars? one of the newer cartoons anyway) and while it probably seems like trolling, it's just me trying to figure things out from little scraps of information have picked up by asking questions and making comments (mostly it's not meant to be malicious, just... faulty memory and bad information)

Can vaguely remember one of the writers (believe she expanded heavily on the Mandalore culture, or at least helped) got upset and quit over what Lucasarts (or somebody) did to them (namely, making them out to be a pacifist rather than a warrior culture). This was all within the last 10 years or so, butt can remember a comic from about 20+ years ago (around the time of the original Old Republic comics) that showed that start of the Mandalore's (can only remember one page with someone finding the remains of a suit, can't even remember how 'fresh' the remains were)
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

You might be thinking of Karen Traviss. She wrote the Republic Commando books as well as a third of the Legacy of the Force series. Between those books and a short story/article in the Star Wars Insider magazine she put out a nifty amount of info on the background and culture of Mandalore and Mandalorians.

Can't really comment on the "how's and why's" behind her leaving and/or removal, as I never tried digging into details. I will say that while the stuff they came up with in Clone Wars and Rebels was an interesting take, I preferred what Traviss came up with. Her work wasn't perfect but it was more interesting to me than making Mandalore yet another "elected monarchy" planet in the Star Wars universe.
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yup, that was it
    Totally miss playing "Star Wars Combine", not even sure if it's still going, butt as of 2013 they had been the longest-running "Star Wars" game (had been going for about... 15? years by that stage, and only just got around to introducing combat... just before the bastards conspired to kick me out butt hadn't fully implemented it or would have been able to fight back :mad: )
  10. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Oh I never thought you were trolling.

I only saw the first 2 seasons of Rebels but do to my following various youtube channels, I have learned a lot of what happened on the show. Plus Wookiepedia is still a really good source for SW info.

As I read, the pacifist movement was a relatively new thing to Mandalore at the time of the Clone Wars. It seems there was a civil war prior to the events of TPM over competing ideals. Some wanted a return to the old warrior ways and others wanted a new path, one without war. The pacifist were the winners, so that government was only a bit over 10 years old at the time of the Clone Wars.

The Mandalorian history goes back thousands of years prior to that and though the canon has not yet developed all the details, that which is there is that they were a great warrior society, who were quite capable of defeating the Jedi Knights and did so many times. They did have a governmental system based on a Clan/House system, that took care of the normal needs of planets and their people.

If that was even slightly true about that writer, I think she really overreacted to what amounted to just over a 10 year time period in the history of the Mandalorians.
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

It wouldn't be the first time (or maybe it was, can't remember) that Lucasart's just decided to scrap everything a writer had created because 'it varied from "The Vision"' or the idiots in charge simply wanted to go a more popular path (look how long it was before Thrawn became 'canon', and instead of having him be the 'Big Bad' of the final movie trilogy, we ended up with Snoke and Darth Emo)
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think both sides got a little spiteful in regards to whatever happened between Traviss and Lucasfilm/whoever was in charge of the books at the time.

SPOILER WARNING FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE LEGACY OF THE FORCE SERIES!!!! AGAIN, SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

Okay, now that that's out of the way, in the Legacy series they revealed that somewhere along the way the clones in Kal Skirata's clan had managed to find a cure for the accelerated clone aging and some had survived to the time of Legacy. On top of that, little Kad (the son of a Republic Commando and a Jedi) had also survived. So we've got who-knows-how-many former clone troopers/Republic Commandos running around on Mandalore, not to mention any biological offspring they may have had over the years.

Well, until the story had the Imperial Remnant (think it was the remnant, it's been a little while since I re-read the series) unleash a genetically engineered bio-weapon on Mandalore that would take out anyone with the Fett genetic makeup as a way of effectively exiling Boba (was the leader of Mandalore) from his home. o_O

I don't know if that story decision happened before or after whatever falling out occurred between Traviss and the folks at Lucas, but if it happened after the falling out then it kind of makes the book editors at Lucasfilm seem petty and vindictive.
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

It could also have been the cause of the falling out if it happened first: they decide to wipe out the Fett's, naturally upsets Traviss (and scores of fans) and she huffs out
  14. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I don't know how I feel about the animation style.

15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I can take or leave the animation style they're using for Resistance. Unfortunately the teaser came across as a little too unfocused for me, so I can't really say it hooked me.
  16. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

i still have one of those crappy toy light sabers from the early 2000's it's red of course

can't wait until the release of the real lightsaber in the year 4239
  17. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Yeesshh, that Star Wars Resistance trailer. I don't know what to think but the main drawback for me is the animation style. I mean, come on, how do they keep managing to make TV animation look worse than in the 80s. I guess it's a...
    [IMG]

I suggest Disney go with the guy that did a fan made animated short which is beyond what was displayed in the Resistance trailer
    • Like x 1
  18. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Since Comic-Con, it had felt like the cloud of SW hate was finally lifting. The return of Clone Wars seemed to bring actual optimism back to the SW fandom, finally starting to push away the haters.

But sadly this "teaser" for Resistance has opened the flood gates again for the haters to return.
  19. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

3 Certainties in Life:
    1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. Unhappy Star Wars fans
  20. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Well, after the announcement of the revival of the Clone Wars tv series, things certainly looked on the up and up but then Disney and Lucafilm dropped the ball on their Resistance tv series reveal by releasing a very bad trailer. I mean, do you remember the trailer or teasers for both The Clone Wars or Rebels. Those were trailers that immediately gets a SW fan hyped, the Resistance trailer on the other hand...
    [IMG]