Lantern powers Lore and explanations

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Ergotth, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Ergotth Committed Player

Ever since Fight for Light Part 1 came out with the "Light" powerset, the desire for new lantern powers EXPLODED within the game's community (and the devs started to regret several decisions from now on), and later on, Rage was released to give us an unique tank powerset (and from a healer point of view, a really high-maintenance one), which juat re-fueled the fire and people started to crave for just ONE more lantern powerset to close the trio with a healer lantern. But making a lantern powerset is more complicated than is seems, first reason being how DCUO must follow DC comics lore to the tiniest details, and the different lanterns have VERY different lore and recruiting styles.

First and foremost, in game lore, our rings are called "deputy" rings, which means they are slightly inferior to your regular green/yellow/red lantern ring, so just wanted to point it out. The Lighr and Rage powerset is NOT exobyte-made.

Secondly, the Green, Yellow, Red and Violet lantern corps have the quickest way of recruiting which involve their rings having an A.I. in it to look for possible candidates and follow'em to fit snugly in their finger (or fitting apendage in case they lack fingers).

Now, what about having a Healer lantern. In technicalities, almost any lantern powers can be a healer, if Electric can heal, I don't see how the lantern lore can't stretch to healing, plus emotions are a nice basis for any support role.

BUT, not any lantern power can be a powerset, and finally, here is a listing of powers that can and can NOT be a powerset:

Lanterns that CAN
    - Violet: virtualy it is very close to Green, Yellow and Red, same recruiting method and the lore allows both factions to be part of it. It could bring some interesting mechanics revolving around the starvsapphire unique skill of crystalizationd and interpretations of love.

Indigo: this one is tricky as they are still surrounded in mystery, but they have this whole shaman-esque aura and neutral allegiance that makes this lantern troop very healer-like and unique abilities for unique mechanics.

And now the part where I make people cry:
    Lanterns that CAN NOT
    - Blue: the very first choice by players is the last allowed, blue lanterns have several conditions that stop in its tracks any remote possibility of being a powerset AT ALL:
    1. The recruiting method is done PERSONALY by Saint Walker, making this corp the smallest.
    2. Blue Lanterns require the presence of a green lantern to tap into their full powers and in reciprocity, empower GLs even further. Without a GL, they are too weak.
    3. They have the INNATE ability to weaken Yellow, Red and Orange lanterns, two of those being powersets, how would that even work?
    And speakung of Orange...
    - Orange: this is the easiest to explain: There can be ONLY ONE Orange lantern IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE! That is an universal law because two orange lanterns would be conpelled to kill each other due their overwhelming greed. "But Ergotth, how can Larfleeze have his own corp?" Because all the other members of his corp are LIGHT CONSTRUCTS (dum dum duuuum). To comensate the lack of manpower, Larfleeze creates all his members out of creatures he killed himself, in a way, he leads an army of ghosts.

- Black/White: needless to say, the devs already made sure it would NEVER happen, their Lore is limited, their power is too much, in sum, they are utterly impractical.

"What about the mists? They made anyone a lantern" anyone WHO BECAME A LANTERN IN THE COMICS. All those lantern iconics like Orange Lantern Luthor and Yellow Lantern Scarecrow were given temporary rings in the Blackest Night comic saga, the idea of Mists just simplified the concept to fit the game's narrative, there were a coupke oddballs like Mayhem becoming a Red Lantern, but thats still in the realm of lore, plus the mists give even LESS powers than a deputy ring, and the raw emotion take over one's mind.

I know this is bringing back an old argument, but I felt the community could use a lesson in Lantern Lore to understand how badly tied are the dev's hands when dealing with DC's worldbuilding. Lets leave the devs to do their work without so much nagging, there are many possible superpowers and they can have fun brainstorming it without the players breathing over their necks.
    • Like x 5
  2. VillNess Well-Known Player

Because of this game I've become more interested in lanterns, this was interesting to read thanks!

I'm quite sure I would be Rage today if it was a controller power, being tank is the only reason for me not to be one.
    • Like x 3
  3. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

#BlueLanternHealer2019
    • Like x 2
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

We just got a blue colored healer powerset last year. Try again.
    • Like x 2
  5. Ergotth Committed Player

Haha,
    good point. At least Indigo and Violet would be new colours.
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You're forgetting troll and tank are next in rotation.
  7. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Ok.

#BlueLanternHealer2021
    • Like x 2
  8. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

*AHhehHHURhUNheMheRHhehem*
    [IMG]

show some compassion and give villains the blue lantern power ring....

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Newelmike out....
    • Like x 2
  9. Ergotth Committed Player

I gave a reading to the wikia and indeed the Blue Lanterns can choose which spectrum they strenghten, and Yellow is an option. BUT *picks up your dropped mic*
    That doesn't change the fact they are weak and powerless without a Green Lantern around and they weaken Yellow, Orange and Red lanterns by default, making this a very awkward mechanic to consider. And finaly, I repeat my most important point: BLUE LANTERNS ARE ONLY CHOSEN BY SAINT WALKER IN THE FLESH.
    Now take this mic and stop dropping things around. You could hurt someone.

PS: I hardly think a BRAINWASHED Blue Lantern counts as an argument, thats just wasting our time.
    • Like x 2
  10. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

Fair enough *takes mic back and gives it to Sensei Deathmike.*
    • Like x 1
  11. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

Theres a new lantern power called Ultra Violet.
  12. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

The easiest work around for having Blue Lanterns use their rings at full power is the different color mist has covered the whole Planet and also and portals that pop open to other places gets exposed as well. Also you can say because of the War of the Light Saint Walker feels more Blue Lanterns are needed so he gives rings out to a few thousand exobyte powered heroes.
  13. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

Having Blue Deputies would solve the population conundrum.
    They wouldn't need a personal invite.
    The affects also, on other lanterns, could be ignored since they are deputies.
  14. Ergotth Committed Player

Th
    these effects are natural to the blue light of hope, it can't just be made into "deputy ring", plus Saint Walker chosing the lanterns is a basis of the blue lanterns. Besides, how would villains use it? We dont have a villain equivalent to Hope like Will had Fear and Rage is considered for both factions. And Hope is too unique to have it's villain equivalent.
  15. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

Okay.. Hear me out here. Why not make the healer power like the control power look?

Black Lanterns for Villains
    White Lanterns for Hero
  16. Mazahs Loyal Player

The main reason is the Devs said no a while back, but I agree on same constructs different color.
    The easiest would be Indigo tribe, although the way the rings work (in game) we are just deputized meaning we are NOT actual Corp members & have limited access to them so they "could" do any color
    • Like x 1
  17. Black Peacock Active Player

The issue with Indigos is that they are a very tricky Lantern group to create. The Indigo tribe is made mostly of former psychopaths, who the ring of compassion basically brainwashes. It works best with those who have no compassion. Also, IIRC, the Indigo tribe can't create constructs on their own? They need to mimic another tribe's power.

Personally, I wouldn't mind the next powerset to not really be a powerset, but a visual update. The three big Lantern powers (Green/Yellow/Violet) all make constructs, but they're all visually different:

Green constructs tend to be solid, and don't look dangerous at first glance. Yellow constructs are jagged, rough, and look like their only purpose is to flay another person. Violet constructs have a light, wispy look to them, almost organic looking (examples for violet in images below).

If the Devs would be willing (and if they read this forum), then they should definitely make the next power a visual update for Yellow/Green and introduce a cosmetic 'Star Sapphire corps ring' which will just be a skin with the look of the Lantern powers changed, but still the same powerset.

This way, they'd introduce a new visual treat (and a highly requested one, at that), update and individualise the looks of Yellow/Green lanterns to differentiate the villain and hero sides, and they wouldn't have to work heavily on coming up with moves, only their visual aspects. The whip could be a chain in the Green version as it is now, a whip in the Yellow, and a thorn-whip in the Violet version. Just an example.

[IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 2
  18. Ergotth Committed Player

Why not make Violet lanters the next healer power? They have a lot of unique powers, especialyu withthe crystals and all, and the Star Sapphire corp is a little on the chaotic neutral field.
    • Like x 2
  19. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

The Green Power set can be given a couple of Healer based constructs. In the comics time and time again we see GL's using their rings to create splints, and other medical equipment needed in healing. We have even seen Guardians use the Green Light directly to heal Lanterns and others who they deemed Important.

As for the Blues no they shouldn't be healers, their abilities as stated many times before are limited. They can't even makes simple constructs without a Green Lantern nearby. Of all the Lanterns who could have the greatest capacity for being pure healer classes in the game. Indigo has the largest possibility. Lets consider that it takes great Compassion to be a Doctor or Nurse, to take care of others and deal with emotional stress that dealing with the sick and injured it takes a lot of Compassion indeed.

Rage, Orange and Violet are generally "Unstable" lights. The emotional chaos those 3 cause a bearer make them too unsuitable for healer powers. While Rage is a current player power, I can see adding the other 3 remaining powers into the game as player powers, Blue as a pure support role as far as Ring powers with the player having to rely on their other attack abilities for combat, Violet as a DPS role and Orange as a Tank role. Indigo as I said above would have to be a Healer/DPS role.
    • Like x 1
  20. Ergotth Committed Player

Indigo is by far best candidate for healer, indeed, and I find violet a... passable candidate. As for Compassion, the emotion, I find it can also be applied to villains, such as Poison Ivy and her compassion for plants, Ras Al Ghul and his compassion to the League of Assassins, it's a tricky emotion that can really fit a lot of roles. As for Orange, as I explained in the post, it can not be a power.
    • Like x 1