Titans Is the Next Live-Action DC TV Show, But It Won't Be on TV

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DCUO Post, Apr 25, 2017.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thank you for that, butt no, just knowing what they turned Starfire into is enough for me to never watch it, same with DeadPool 2 (and was really looking forward to that after finding out Yukio from "The Wolverine" was in it, as Nega's girlfriend no less)
  2. Helderman Dedicated Player

Trey to hide your racism
    • Like x 1
  3. Shn275 Well-Known Player

Cause it's curly or cause it's pink? And if they do have BB transform, don't expect it to be very often. Remember, this is a TV show with a very limited budget, they clearly had to take liberties & cut corners.
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Nothing to do with racism, it's the reverse 'white-washing': Starfire was never black, and neither was Domino
  5. Shn275 Well-Known Player

Let's see, Starfire is an orange alien with green-glowing eyes, and flaming hair, all of which appears in the trailer. Can't judge her performance since the series hasn't aired yet. We've already got confirmation that the outfit featured in the trailer & promos isn't her actual uniform but instead civilian clothes she's wearing to a 70s-themed costume party. Sure, her skin's probably not gonna be orange all the time but remember, this show only has a TV-sized budget, they have to cut corners. Be thankful her hair, skin, & eyes change color when she's using her powers. So what's your problem with the character?
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It was an interesting trailer, but I ended up walking away from it feeling like, "So, they're going with 'Angry Young Titans' for their theme?" o_O It almost feels like a knee-jerk reaction to how much backlash they've gotten over Teen Titans Go!

Definitely not enough to get me to cough up any money for the streaming service.
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Don't have a problem with the character, and had a similar reaction with Injustice 2
  8. Shn275 Well-Known Player

"White-washing" or in this case "Black-washing" doesn't qualify for this argument. Since Starfire is ORANGE, anyone can play her. Studio chose a black actress, what's the problem!?

However, you do have a point with Domino. Zazie did a good performance, but a white actress could've done just as well. By the way, side note, Zazie Beetz is a biracial actress (German/Black). Why is it ok for her to play "black" characters, but not "white"? She's just as white as she is black.
    • Like x 2
  9. Shn275 Well-Known Player

So, your problem is the black actress? What would've been better? And why?

What was wrong with Injustice 2's Starfire? She looks like the character. Orange skin and all.
    • Like x 2
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Domino is (or was) a Latino under all that white
  11. Shn275 Well-Known Player

But "Latino" isn't a race. It just means a person comes from a Spanish-speaking country. Case and point:

Faizon Love (Cuban-American)
    [IMG]

Antonio Fargas (Puerto Rican)
    [IMG]

Lupita Nyong'o (Kenyan-Mexican)
    [IMG]\

All are Black actors that are also Hispanic.
  12. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Cause it's curly.

And BB is all about transforming in to animals. THAT'S HIS SUPERPOWER. I'd rather have more transformations with poor CGI than less transformations.
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah, got that wrong, meant Hispanic, and clearly not Afro-Spanic

Go read a damn comic and see, same goes with Starfire: yes, she is orange, butt clearly without the typical Afro-features
    • Like x 1
  14. Shn275 Well-Known Player

Define "Afro-features". Full lips, Starfire has them. Rounded nose, Starfire has one depending on the artist. I'm guessing you're referring to the actress' dark skin & curly hair. I've already talked enough about her skin, as for her hair, who knows maybe she'll get a perm sometime in the series or it could be an ACTUAL wig she's wearing. Look dude, the character is racially ambiguous. You might've seen her as a "Caucasian" woman, I saw her as an "Ethnic" woman. Clearly the studio went with the latter. You don't like it, that's fine, don't watch it. I'd give the actress a chance to prove herself, though, before outright dismissing her. I did the same for ScarJo in that Ghost in the Shell film. Still didn't care for the movie, but I at least give it a chance.
    • Like x 1
  15. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

you would have to find the interview with marv wolfman. i think it can be found in th first few pages of the New Teen Titans omnibus.

basically marv and george intended for raven to be middle eastern. indian. starfire was visually based on hispanic women perez found attractive at the time but because early 80's both characters white washed...or as white washed as an alien princess and a demons daughter could get.

its what throws me off about starfire is i've seen many latina/hisanic women who actually do resemble the princess. skin tone, hair, wide eyes, big assets. i don't see why they couldn't have found a young latin actress to play the role.

anyway at best i can hope to see starfires look evolve some in the show. i dont really care that anna diop is black..shes beautiful. i just cant get past that fright wig of a hairstyle. i'm hoping that little bit we see of her using her powers will burn that bad hair away to reveal her more iconic locks.
    • Like x 1
  16. Shn275 Well-Known Player

I remember hearing something like that about Starfire. Either way, they don't see what the big deal is about Anna playing her. Need to make a correction about Raven, though. The interview I saw said Marv originally intended for Raven to be BLACK. Marv felt that a black character named "Raven" was too on the nose. He hated the idea of black characters having their names attached to their skin color.(a la "Black" Lightning, "Black" Panther, "Black" Manta)
  17. Azreaus Committed Player

Got to say that trailer has killed off the remaining scrap of hope that the Titans show will be worth watching, shame :(
  18. velvetsanity Loyal Player

What kills me about the trailer is it’s so GRIMDARK. Come on, people! Adam West will forever be the best Batman, and his show was comedy gold! Nothing grimdark about it!
  19. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I disagree, I love when dc does dark. They just need to work on being dark AND good, lol
  20. velvetsanity Loyal Player

The problem is, they try to turn everything grimdark when they move it from the comics to the screen (large or small)...as much as I enjoy Arrowverse, compare that to the Green Arrow/Flash/etc comics.

To me the trailer gives the impression that they might be trying to go too dark with it at the risk of losing what made New Teen Titans great in the first place.
    • Like x 1