How do you find R&D plans reliably, other than the broker?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by RadCanon, Feb 5, 2018.

1. RadCanon New Player

So I haven't really played this much in the last couple of years, and I'm getting back into it now. I'm trying to level up my atomic tank. I'm at CR 83 now, and I've decided it's time to start modding my gear. However, I am having a hell of a time finding plans for anything. I'm trying to get some Dom/Health, Dom/Power, and Dom/Might plans, but the broker doesn't have any of that for my current tier, and the randomness of the loot drops in instances makes it seem pretty much hopeless that i'm going to get what I need.

So I'm looking for some advice. Most importantly, is there a vendor anywhere that sells these plans? I'd assume not, or they wouldn't be that expensive on the broker. Is there a certain type of content (ie, raids) that has a high chance of dropping mods? If both of those are "no," then my follow-up questions are:

Will lower-tier mods suffice (which even if they do, those are just as rare)? Can I use higher-tier mods (ie, socket a Dom/Health 7 mod into a t4 gear piece) or is that not something you can do? Should I just ignore mods altogether until I get to the highest tier? I'm just feeling a little lost, it seems way overcomplicated to mod anything if you're not loaded on money- which I am not. Most of the time I go through entire tiers of content and never see a plan I can use. And I could definitely use the mods. So just looking for any useful advice because, like I said, this seems very overcomplicated. But maybe I'm just missing something. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Just use alpha and beta mods. At 83 cr you'll be replacing gear so much keeping up with mods will be a huge nuisance. Betas can be taken out and replaced for under 300 since they only use 1 exobyte (most of them) so you can use the alpha recovery kits on the RnD vendor.
    • Like x 3
  3. Wildboy Committed Player

IMHO, modding gear isn't really necessary until you start getting close to the current highest tiers. If you do want to socket some mods to unlock the critical stats while leveling, Alphas and Betas are just fine.
    • Like x 2
  4. RadCanon New Player

Hmm. Okay, so 2 for 2 on using alpha/beta mods. I'll do that then. Thanks, you guys.
    • Like x 1
  5. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Use betas or pvp mods
  6. Dene Devoted Player

Just to add - once you get to around 200cr and start contemplating modding higher stuff then you'll find the plans drop quite regularly and/or are quite cheap on broker.

Also - start collecting exobits now - you'll need em later plus its for feats in collecting them anyway :)
    • Like x 1
  7. krytine Loyal Player

Go to one of the vendors next to the RnD table in the watch tower. Buy the alpha or betas they will help a little and get you the affinity bonuses
  8. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I do betas.. As Fatal mentioned with very few exceptions they only use 1 exobyte and require no simple or complex material. All you need is a Beta enhancer from the R+D Vendor... Buy an Alpha recall kit and when you replace the armor you recover that same exobyte and can use it again when you create a NEW beta mod. Now use the right color mod in the right slots and you gain all those added bonuses plus you never run out of exobytes because you are using the same ones over and over again.
  9. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

You can also run content lol
  10. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Loot drops and broker are the only places to find plans
  11. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

That's what I'd do. Honestly, even at end game, my alts all use alphas.