Time to do something about modding Devs

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Mazahs, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Mazahs Loyal Player

I'm the guy you'll typically find in a raid with top tier gear and only alpha mods. Why you may ask? Because for a long time now I've firmly believed that it had such minimal impact on performance after the affinity was reached that the effort worth it didn't match the reward.

Today after finally deciding put my theory to the test I can unequivocally say this. "Its insanity"..it actually made me laugh out loud at how minor a result it actually nakes vs the grinding and crushing, bit hunting or broker time it took.

Here's the results
    CR224 Q DPS 10 second parsers on league 3 test dummies. Using avg of 5 parses

With Alphas : 14,765 dps only straight alpha + 14 might
    With Alphas + Nitro Soder SF +449 might 15,102 dps
    With VIII : 15,373 dps +102 might in Reds +56 might in mix
    With New Justice: 15,983 dps +178 might in Reds +97 might in mix

As a side note, while writing this I have been doing single weapon taps with my handblasters (no prec in my sp) They are hitting on avg of 1,300

You can mod alphas, pop a soder + do a weapon tap and be almost equal (within a couple hundred dps) to a player using top of the line mods. All while taking almost zero time or effort and very little broker spend. Or you can spend hours & millions to have an advantage less than a weapon tap

Can we actually make these things worth it or less grindy? Because right now time and effort isn't isn't worth the minimal reward you see.
    • Like x 14
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

They should have been reducing the material required for mods since they removed synthetics. It's sad they had to attach feats to them to try to get people to mod.
    • Like x 18
  3. velvetsanity Loyal Player

What’s the result with only tactical mods, or with no mods at all?
    • Like x 1
  4. spack2k Steadfast Player

Thats from the dps stand point of view but as tank in alite content u would want the extra 2k hp from mods though well atleast i wouldnt want to pass on them and rely on healer to be on point , idk how much the added resto helps for healers but the extra vit is important for my troll thats for sure.
    • Like x 5
  5. Mazahs Loyal Player

I dunno. I have always had my tactical mods and affinities met since you gain MOV easily enough and alphas require 1 byte.
  6. Mazahs Loyal Player

My tank, troll and healer toons (all alpha mods) would disagree with you since they all complete elite regularly.

Also the difference in VIT from a VII to New Justice is 24. So if you are modding VIT in yellow mix in others you are gaining a few hundred in VIT so say +42 in Tick. If I pop a soder that's cut down by a 1/3. You really think a +15 tick actually helps you?

FYI my main is a troll
    • Like x 2
  7. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Would be interesting to see if the difference between no mods and alpha mods is the same as between alpha mods and high end mods
    • Like x 1
  8. majosea Dedicated Player

would like where the mods dont have to be attach to the gear itself but in a new ui,. so every you get a new piece gear you still get your bonus without have to recover and recraft every single time , my idea would be you could recover x mod to craft a stronger if that player want to do it , unlike it is now.
    this idea players would hold on the there stats longer , better smother runs , I also thing the base generators should be on all the time , all orbits , supply drops , tactial mods , boosted ect , no marks or money to recharge it
    that to will help for smother runs
  9. Darth Piper Loyal Player

This is where I think the whole stats revamp needs work. Not enough weight was put on the stats boosts you get from mods and SPs. If you want us to have top level mods and very high SP in order to be successful in the elite level content, you have to make getting them and using them worthwhile.
    • Like x 2
  10. spack2k Steadfast Player

yeah completing content says nothing about if one needs it or not, u can complete it in 12h or 12min just as an example.
  11. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

My two cents.

I have nearly given up on modding my gear all together. Since the introduction of Armories I have all 4 slots filled and maintaining about 3 different sets of gear on a single character.

With the additional change of the Vault dropping a CR raising piece of gear once a visit, then add in any events or seasonals with their daily dropped un-attuned gear. It isn't worth the additional grind to keep all my gear at peak R&D specs. The navigation of the R&D kiosk alone is so laggy and time consuming it can feel like running an actual mission.

As a Healer, the lesser mods I choose to equip do in fact hurt my potential. Time management is a key part of playing an MMORPG, but if that ever starts to kill the fun you're playing for in the first place...then you need to step back a bit.

So I have, and high level R&D mods were first on the chopping block.
    • Like x 7
  12. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We're going to make them worth it.
    • Like x 21
  13. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Hope so, cause I feel like I'm wasting material making all of these new justice mods.
    • Like x 6
  14. myandria Item Storage

Hmm....*takes notes*

Yeah, modding is a grindy pain in the **** in this game. I don't even attempt to do elite content because I don't think it is worth it to mod my gear to do so. I am waiting for the second artifact slot to be released because I want to see if having 2 maxed artifacts will make a significant difference with/without mods.

I think I would be more into modding my gear if the mods were good for 20 CR levels each time you made them and that you could remove them free or a nominal fee as long as the gear was within that 20 CR level spread. Of course, this idea is not feasible since it would almost eliminate the need to buy recovery kits. Ah well..*shrugs*.
  15. velvetsanity Loyal Player

I’m currently using VII mods...haven’t had the MoV to spare for essence purifiers, especially since I’m still leveling.
  16. xxOMNIPOTENTxx Committed Player

The extra 2K in health is pretty much worthless when adds are hitting you for 5-10K, let alone bosses who can hit easily for 25K-40K...
    • Like x 3
  17. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Especially on bosses that hit for high numbers some extra Health is worth it. 2K can help you survive gear check oneshots that would otherwise be just enough to kill you.
    • Like x 2
  18. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

1000000% Agree. And I know people don't want to hear it, but play my alts it's true. Stats just don't matter.

I run alphas on alts, Olympic mods I moved over from my main to an alt over the summer, and special forces mods on my mains tank gear. I haven't even put alphas in my dps gear, lol.

Literally the only difference I see is when I damage tank. I can tell the difference in my damage in my three specs. One is full might and power, the other is 100 might and power, the last is full dom, with the left over in might and power.

My munitions alts with alphas keeps up and beats people at a much higher CR.

To Mepps, they really need to be more than just worth it. I've literally made mods twice since October 2016.
  19. JohnnyMagic Well-Known Player

I am maxed with exobytes with barely enough R&D materials to fab mods and with gear changing seemingly daily buying restore kits is difficult to keep up. Maybe that's why I should just trash the mods in gear.
  20. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I'm like you .. About the time we went to monthly content and every time you turned around you were replacing armor I gave up on even trying to keep the best mods in all slots. Now I use betas.. slightly better stats though nothing to brag about and you can still use an Alpha recovery kit to get back that 1 exobyte you used to build a new mod. Why use them at all? Just to grab that added bonus stat boost for having the right color mod in the right slot.

Now as Fatal mentioned I USED to keep much better mods in my most active role and then I'd go buy synthetics for the less used one to save on the exobit hunting and the cost to replace mods as armor changed. SO that added to the lack of desire to mod everything.

Then of course the better the mod the more it requires to make it. At higher levels even simple mods like say a VII meant needing a large number of exobytes, simple and /or complex materials and focusing elements. Then as we got into those newer mods from DLCs like Amazon Fury 3 or the Age of Justice we needed "special" focusing elements that ONLY drop in missions form THOSE DLCs along with motes and Essences and .. a partridge in a Pair tree (yes that is Sarcasm). It has gotten to the point where a player needs 7 or 8 different things just to even THINK about creating a mod. OH yeah and then let's all run to the vendor to buy that special recovery kit we need to recover anything from that mod when we replace it. FRANKLY the process has become so involved I could care less about any FEAT I might be able to earn if I create and slot enough of them.

YEARS ago the "expert" on the forums would insist that you had to have the best possible mods installed to be effective. NOW? We see numerous threads where the general census is ...Don't even bother with mods until you reach end game. The scary part? Its actually true. I have never created an alt and then just never used a mod at all until CR 180 or higher.. BUT the last alt I made was well over CR 100 with no mods at all and AMAZINGLY I was still effective during missions. Still able to heal and keep my team alive as a healer. Still holding aggro and staying alive as a tank... and still coming in 1st or 2nd in damage as a DPS.

They really need to do something to simplify the process and make it less of a hassle or just give us back the dang synthetics and let us buy them with the marks we have practically no use for anymore these days BUT they still keep handing them too us. Hey here's an idea how about giving us synthetics like the ones they hand out for free on the test server? Mods like Vit/Dom or Might/Power or Dom/health. And for those that have never been on test yes I am talking mods that are level Vii or VIII not alphas and betas. To be perfectly honest I am still puzzled as to why they got rid of Synthetics to begin with. They cost us marks and unlike the ones we crafted they could note be recovered so if you replaced a piece of armor and bought a new synthetic mod to replace the old one.. you spent marks which meant you had to play the game more to earn back the marks you spent.. Wouldn't that be another wayto increase the sale of REPLAYS?

The whole system in my opinion is a mess and needs a revamp.