Bring weapons back to DCUO!!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Fatal Star, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Ringz Dedicated Player

Man this is such a classic thread. I still remember arguing about this topic during stats revamp testing. I will not argue in depth again since the devs already chose their side, but my argument still stands. Hybrid should've been doing more damage than PffT. I fail to see how that logic concept was ignored by some guys and devs. Personally, I think they should have gotten rid of masteries and let people play the way the powers were designed to be played.

I know we arguing for balance here, but really!? If any playstyle deserves to be the outlier it should have been hybrid. I mean we're talking
    • More required skill points to invest.
    • Using both of the game combat mechanics instead of one.
    • Dealing with the balance of powers and weapons.
    • Clipping usage
    The list can continue but ehh, im not gonna get into all this until I see a green name down for the cause. Hybrid should've been in the spot where PffT is now. Not blowing the other masteries out by numbers but in the lead of playstyle damage. But Fatal here is arguing for something more in depth, so I'll let yall argue this one out. I bet if hybrid was the dominate choice of dps playstyle, these balance complaints would not be as heavy as it is now.

P.s. I wonder how this thread argument will compare to the first thread about this topic?
    • Like x 4
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

No I'm not really going for anything deeper, you're pretty spot on with how I feel things should be.
  3. Celestial Powers Committed Player

Yes, mainly because of Power, I've seen an entire raid group not having using the Superpower focus, even with two controllers it was the worst experience of playing this game, everyone but the trolls were out of power because the trolls couldn't output enough and everyone's personal regeneration wasn't enough. This was on test, right before they added in the new focuses. I can show you footage of what it was like if you're curious.

Making weapons stronger is nice but it will lead to the power problems becoming much more apparent because the superpower focus band-aid isn't used.
  4. L T Devoted Player

One of my big misgivings about the revamp was removing counters from tray abilities. It seems to me that if they were restored it would go a long way towards balancing the play styles. Yes you still have to be aware of your surroundings as a DPS but Rage and Atomic in particular are freaking brain dead compared to when they had abilities that were vulnerable to block.
    • Like x 1
  5. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Every raid I troll is full of inexperienced Superpowered users. To the point where im only spamming recharge for the dps only.

I just dont think i should have to say that noobs are gonna be noobs whether theyre might, precision, CR 227 or cr 220, whether theyre rage or sorc.

Do you think it's possible that maybe...., just maybe.... Someone in your group didn't know what they were doing?
    • Like x 3
  6. Celestial Powers Committed Player

Our trolls were Kuro and ObsidianChill from US Server so they might have no idea what they were doing, take a look yourself I guess.

There is a night and day difference on the power bars of the DPS, in the second video they are all using the superpower focus. Everyone has the same spec in both videos (SP, CR, Mods)

Before superpower focus:

After superpower focus:

• Like x 2
  7. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Thanks a lot man, I'll take a look when i get off
  8. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

This was what I was basically trying to explain earlier really. The other guy kept taking the word "potential" when I referred to Weps doing more damage as "possible". It wouldnt be, its making weps stronger and leaving them with the Variables that PFTT don't have to deal with like interrupts, stuns and knockbacks setting a wep combo back to 0 whereas most powers can continue from where they left off, adds block countering, adds getting out of range, all that jazz. Leaving weps with its weaknesses but buffing the damage up so it can compete. Tried explaining it 3 times. Didnt seem to stick.

Only thing I dont agree with is a mini buff before the main. If its going to get fixed then it should be easier to have the current state of weps as a starting point rather than throwing new random numbers into the mix in the meantime.

1 fix is all it should take. History shows that segmented fixes never worked.
  9. stärnbock Devoted Player

SUGGESTION:
    make the weapon buff work for 18 seconds while keeping the cooldown at twelve seconds (stacking impossible).
    REASON:
    the buff runs out in the middle of your combos all the time, wich makes it hard for WM's with long combos to hit.
    the additional six seconds would give you room to finish your combos when running out of time. more comfort.
    • Like x 2
  10. AnonymousEUPS Dedicated Player

Range hybrid or WE should be on par with the average PFTT. Melee hybrid and WE should be pushing towards where rage melee is at imo.
    • Like x 1
  11. NerfEveryone New Player

There is nothing wrong w/ weapons if you know how to use them. All people do is complain on these forums about this & that. “Good” players adapt lousy ones ask for nerfs & buffs

Get better!!!
  12. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

"I'm at the top most of the time with this and that, there's nothing wrong with it" posts should never be taken seriously without details. Sorry that's just my opinion. If you're gonna join in the discussion, give details.
    • Like x 3
  13. NerfEveryone New Player

I’m a dual wield into Bo WM user. I’m not saying what power I am because I can hear the cries for nerfs down the road. If is a elite raid I’m usually 1st or 2nd. Other instances it depends on mobs or bosses. I usually out damage players on single target but mobs is where I lose on th scoreboard.
  14. stärnbock Devoted Player

dual wield into flurry shot is the best single target WM by far.
    in panoE, you face three bosses were you can use it on all of them.
    in mob situations, you might want to switch to bow, if you have a free armory.
    because bow into smoke bomb is what gets you the highest numbers for those.
    other than those two options, wich are the best,
    every other weapon falls flat with theyr masteries in comparison.
    maybe one handed and staff can keep up.
    other than that you either face to long combos or to weak WM's.
    well, at least i can say from my experience:
    when i do exactly the same, i might get on top with my 228 full modded gear,
    against ppl who are not aswell equipped and not fully modded.
    and the difference is minimal.
    that sayd: with my favourite weapon, brawling, i allways end waaay behind
    • Like x 2
  15. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

DW has one of the best single target WM combos, flurry shot and RS alone can parse 10k if you have a troll buff, it's already been established as an outlier along with bow into smokebomb.
    • Like x 1
  16. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Lol, really? Get better at using bow for melee or DW for range? Pretty sure everyone knows DW is the broken range WM. But keep going, this is getting funny.
    • Like x 1
  17. Proxystar #Perception

What I'm saying is make 'playing the combat mechanics rewarding'. Correct me if I'm not interpreting you correctly.

You're saying "If I'm playing with the shield (example), I lose damage because the boss blocked, I was 60% of the way through a combo sequence when the boss blocked and I had to block break therefore I missed my large hits at 90% and 100% because when I block broke the NPC I had to start again"; is that correct?

So what I'm saying the solution could be, is to punish the NPC for the counter. If you counter the NPC then it could be done in two ways perhaps (happy to hear your thoughts):-
    • The counter itself awards you with a large amount of damage equivelent to that which you would achieve at the end of a combo sequence.
    • The counter itself awards you with a bonus damage window where your next few hits will hit harder
    What this does is reward the player for playing the combat mechanics rather than trivializing the combat mechanics.

Even if arguably speaking then the damage output is greater than PFtT it's at least earned. The only way you're going to get that max damage is if you play correctly. We should never be rewarding players for ignoring mechanics.
    • Like x 2
  18. Proxystar #Perception

What do you say to the powers though that simply cannot meaningfully use hybrid? is it "poor you" "deal with it"? "buy a power respec token".

The developers were stuck between a rock and a hard place, the community is such a savage beast the moment they saw the likes of celestial for example stuck in an inferior play mode they'd start excluding them from content leading to power extinction, that's just one reason.
  19. Proxystar #Perception

Which is of course part of the problem.

We have how many powers in the game where we scream black and blue for them to be as close to parity as possible.

We have now many weapons in the game, yet only 2 of those weapons are realistically viable... it's ridiculous.

If someone wants to use a shield or a staff etc it should be equally viable.
    • Like x 1
  20. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

You got my point, weapons still need to worry about finishing a combo, and while counters do a decent amount of damage, it won't make up the difference of a possible 20k+ crit, especially if the tank or someone else lands the counter first, then you don't receive the damage for it, just the blue immunity.

Your idea is basically buffing counter damage which I can definitely get behind. The weapon artifact that just came out has a similar effect where you get a prec buff for landing a successful counter. Not sure how big of a buff it is, I need to read the description when I get home.

I do agree counter damage should be increased and would help make up for not getting your big hit off.
    • Like x 1