This is just me I'm sure.

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Scotty, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Scotty Well-Known Player

Sigh. I just got Injustice 2. Great game. The visuals are awesome, the combat is awesome. Building up your hero with gear is awesome.

But I just don't understand something. Are video games being more and more made for those who crave very difficult to near impossible difficulty? Surely the developers know that not everyone is equal and don't have the level of skill to reach those higher levels for the best gear? I struggle with Medium level difficulty but I can pull it off after more than a couple retries. But past that...that's it. I have limits compared to those mortal kombat masters who can work those controls with their eyes shut and hardly any effort.

So those with low skill ability....aka the infamous, poisonous casuals that everyone loves to hate and would love to nuke...have to miss out on getting the highest level stuff. I sure wish I could go back to the days where I had lightning reflexes and faster mental processing time but those days for me are past.

Practice makes perfect sure...but when the body starts to slow down from age not much practice can do for you.

This is not a complaint just a depressed light rant. Its so discouraging when you attempt a challenge and continual failure seems to be telling you, "You are outside your limits."

Maybe my video game days are done. I don't know.
    • Like x 1
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I have to disagree, videogames in general are getting easier over time. A lot of games from the 80s and 90s are almost impossible to beat. As soon as we hit the 3D era, the difficulty began to drop. Only thing games nowadays have is complexity and shiny graphics.
    • Like x 3
  3. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Having played different sidescrolling fighting games, in terms of difficulty, Injustice is right there. Idk I think the oddity of timing is making it difficult at least for me. I've played supersmash bros, tekken, street fighter, marvel vs capcom, etc and enjoyed them. Injustice is just one of those pacing that I don't like.
    • Like x 1
  4. FoolsFire Devoted Player

And then they released Cuphead...
    • Like x 1
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It might be the game itself. I haven't played Injustice 2, but if it plays anything like the original then you're dealing with the random beat-you-to-a-bloody-pulp-before-you-can-even-move game AI that can show its face in the Mortal Kombat games.

When playing Injustice I'd go through two or three matches just fine and then BOOM! The AI would go to town on me like I was standing still, and after a couple of losses it'd go back to being just fine. It made for a really frustrating time trying to play and enjoy the game and as a result I tend to stay away from the fighting games from that company now. I don't mind a challenge but I at least want a fair chance.
  6. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

Most of the big fighting game companies have accessibility in mind when designing their games. A well made entry is one that can gain new fans while also has a high ceiling whereby the fighting community can continue to push the meta forward. The hope is that things like depth and in this entry; 'gears' helps incentive players to stick with the game, try different characters and hopefully explore other parts of the game.

Here's one outlook on fighting gamer types

Body: Dexterity and execution certainly plays a part. It's more prevalent in fighting game genre, That being said staple combos may not be most damaging, but they may be more useful because it doesn't require ridiculous execution timing, meter cost...etc

Mind: what kind of character is my main (strengths and weaknesses). Knowing the options in different situations, character matchups...etc

Heart: dynamic aspect of the fight; predictive fighting. Making reads, baiting, setups.

Each player will have knowledge, skills and experience in all three areas, so even as we age and our reflexes downgrade slightly (body), a gamer can still build muscle memory and grow in the other two areas. If interested, YT video on Laugh's gamer types: here

Injustice hits a sweet spot for some of us, it's a fighting game with DC characters!
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Agree with you ^ about staple combos: while the big flashy moves are great, and do a lot of single damage, they don't do squat if you are continuously punching them in the face and kicking them in the shins :p
    You can almost hear the other player screaming at the screen "WILL YOU STOP DOING THAT!!" :D
  8. nowburn4it Loyal Player

I agree for most games, but not fighting games. They seem to get harder and harder. Back in the day I could blunder into a combo, now I just flail and lose. Back in the day...so old...
  9. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

I think younger people just became too complacent with being "bullet sponges" thanks to FPS games mainly CoD.
    If you didn't grow up playing Contra, Metal Slug or even Mega Man, you're probably going to have a bit of ride in Cuphead.
    • Like x 1
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ah, Contra. Thinking back, I'm honestly amazed I never actually snapped an NES controller in half with how hard I would grip the thing while playing that game. LOL

Same could be said for the original Ninja Gaiden, come to think of it.
    • Like x 1
  11. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Up up down down left right left right B A start :D
  12. Drathmor Unwavering Player

old Konami code =-)
  13. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Years ago I bought a Wii for the Wii Fit. First actual video game I bought: Metal Slug Collection for $10. :D

I'd also like to see these people try Crazy Climber. For this game you have to use two joysticks. No buttons!