Why nerf a iconic power when everyone in the game has the ability to choose one?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by NerfEveryone, Dec 28, 2017.

1. NerfEveryone New Player

I don’t understand it? I don’t understand nerfing anything but nerfing iconic Lowe’s has to be one of the dumbest things I ve seen from day one in this game. Anyone who plays this game has the opportunity to choose a iconic if they want. So how is uthatba advantage?
  2. The Anxient Loyal Player

It was stronger than any other single target power making it mandatory for any single target loadout. This update is killing alot of cheese. Step in the right direction.
    • Like x 13
  3. NerfEveryone New Player

Why do you care what other people use? All iconics are avail to everyone in the game. It’s your choice. Just because you don’t want to have a iconic in your koadout you shouldn’t be crying for a nerf. That’s all I’m saying!!
    • Like x 3
  4. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

You do realize these threads just make people look like bandwagon newbs dependent on a crutch right?

Were you using it because you wanted to or because you felt you had to?
    • Like x 2
  5. NerfEveryone New Player

I’ve been playing this game from day one & I don’t get all the cries for nerfs? Now we nerf powers everyone can choose. Soon we will be nerfing sodas
  6. VariableFire Loyal Player

Not enough people buying respec tokens.
    • Like x 4
  7. Zneeak Devoted Player

I love how people are trying to sound like it's removing cheese and crutches while they are probably secretly thinking "it's a good thing my own powerset got good ST-moves". :rolleyes:

Nerfing HV without actually adressing imbalance in ST between the powersets is a very bad idea.
    • Like x 6
  8. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

They've already nerfed sodas., well the buff soders anyways...
    • Like x 1
  9. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Now on the one hand your statement does have a ring of logic to it, I mean everyone does have access so that means everyone can use it.

The problem with that logic is also simple. If their is an unbalanced ability that everyone has access to, everyone will flock to it. People have already proven this time and time again (clown box anyone? And yes while most of those were for glitching with it, the devs said it was a valid use of the power in throne). Which means we probably shouldn't have an iconic power OP because than its "mandatory" for DPS to utilize it.. (that's also not even going into why nothing should be OP, but that would get way off topic way too easily)
    • Like x 2
  10. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

I think the devs actually intend to go back and attempt to balance things further but only they know by how much.

My main issue though is I think they should be adjusting other powers first before fixing the out of balanced iconics but that's not my call to make :p
    • Like x 1
  11. Wanderer New Player

IMO I have always felt that Iconics should be as strong as basic powers but without going overboard. That way, people have some options for creating builds that don't wind up severely harming their potential. I think the real problem is that the revamp wasn't as balanced as it should have been, therefore many people felt like they had to use it just to stay competitive. Based on what I've read about the changes, it sounds like it's going back to what it used to be in the AM days... a novelty that isn't worth choosing over your standard powers unless you are simply hell bent on a specific theme for your character. And even then, it's likely that you'll forget it's there and use something else in 9/10 situations. xD Ofc, I'm not on test, so don't quote me on that, it's just the impression I've been getting from the forum. I've heard that it's still a better option for setting up Burning for Fire than some other powers, so there's that...
    • Like x 2
  12. Zneeak Devoted Player

Well, that's exactly the point. We waited so long for the latest hotfix to be set in motion and their brilliant idea is to start touching Iconics that several powersets outright depend on to do decent Single target, but no fix in sight for actual adjustments to the ST-moves within the powersets. THAT should have been the priority fix before touching HV, because who knows how long we will have to wait until they sort out the next problem?
    • Like x 1
  13. Wallachia Devoted Player

How come someone with the nickname "nerfeveryone" is complaining about NERF?

This is a very freaky end of year.
    • Like x 5
  14. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Again I can agree that the priority is done out of order but I do agree with heat vision's overalll change in the grand scheme of things.... but than again we should know their priorities aren't what they want to be since they haven't addressed several of the complaints to powers that were mentioned and discussed quite thoroughly during the revamp process.
  15. Zneeak Devoted Player

The overall nerf to HV only makes sense if it balances out the powersets in terms of their ST abilities, but it doesn't. It creates another problem of imbalances that we will most likely not see a hotfix for until the next 3-6 months. It's just the same, old hamsterwheel of nerf and buff, fix one thing while breaking a few other things and then call it a successful hotfix.

If the devs were to step in and say "we have another hotfix set up for Single target abilities across powersets coming shortly", that would be another thing.

IMO, leaving the iconics untouched until they actually sort out the imbalances in ST would be the better thing to do. Atleast then, people are on more equal footing until the devs decide it's finally time to adress the rest of the issues that got left out of the upcoming hotfix.
    • Like x 2
  16. Schimaera Devoted Player

Yeah not really. If you leave your own abilities behind to chose an iconic one it might be okay to an extend but in general one should really think about it twice. It would be okay if "some" powers use it because they lack the single target moves which are right now somewhat important for a single raid, but in my eyes it is troublesome if every power uses it.

Also in my eyes there doesn't need to be such thing as an even single target balance between all powers. If you demand this, then please also demand a balance between: DoT abilites, AoE abilities, Burst Abilities, Melee Abilities, Ranged Abilities, Shield Abilities, defensive Abilities in general.
    You see, just because a certain power lacks some awesome super-great ST moves doesn't mean that power is bad. But you knew that, didn't you?
    • Like x 1
  17. Zneeak Devoted Player

Who said anything about leaving your own abilities behind? I'm pretty sure you know about the few choices most powersets have for ST, making room for HV isn't an issue at all. The issue is that the ST-damage is pretty sub-par for several powersets if you put HV out of that loadout. One ability, out of an entire loadout of abilities. That's troublesome in MY eyes.

Why not push for a change that could benefit all powersets instead of taking something away that will just cause further imbalances between them and most likely just push another row of powers into the FOTM-spot? On the other hand you pretty much said you were okay with certain powersets outshining others, which makes me feel that you are one of the players being in a good spot once the HV-hotfix kicks in.

Oh well, screw balance, right? It's not like one of the biggest selling points of the Revamp was balance anyway. :rolleyes:
    • Like x 4
  18. nawanda Loyal Player

Have you even considered the concept of the strength of the power in relation to NPCs, or is damage all about oneupmanship to you?
    • Like x 2
  19. Schimaera Devoted Player

Most Powers are still good for Single Target. Just because Powers can damage more than one enemy doesn't mean they suck at ST. I hope you realize that. :confused:
  20. FoolsFire Devoted Player

For 'some people' the changes to Heat Vision are welcomed with open arms.
    • Like x 1