An answer to which power is best - contest/challenge idea

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by TheKeefMaster, Dec 11, 2017.

1. TheKeefMaster Well-Known Player

I'd like to propose something to the community concerning the #1 question of all DCUO time and finally answer it.

Maybe someone has tried this before, maybe not.

The way I see it, there's really no way to compare powers unless you're actually in combat. "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face" right? Training dummies really just don't let you see the full potential of the power or the player and PVP holds no answers unless it's PVP specific.

I say we, as a community, take a vote and select 1 player from each power to represent that power in a contest.

1. If you want to represent your power you would sign up by simply saying you want to participate. It would be open to players of all CR but let's be real, this is an OP contest so use common sense.

2. The rest of the community would then take the names of the players who wish to participate and then vote on which players they believe would best represent a certain power. For example : We can't have 3 Ice players in this so there would be a vote to see which off those 3 players is the best suited to represent Ice in this.

3. Once one person is chosen to represent each power those players then group up and run 5 different raids. There are more than 8 powers so obviously there would be 2 groups of players doing this. Those players would also have agreed upon a set time for this challenge to start so everyone is online.

4. Upon completion of each instance a screenshot will need to be taken of each section of the leaderboard for that instance so that everyone can see not just damage done but also healing in, damage in, secures, etc. The reason for this is obvious I would assume.

5. After all instances are complete for each group all of the screen shots will then be uploaded to the forums for all to see.

There's more to hash out to make the contest legit but this is just the baby phase of this idea.

Also, when players "sign up" to be selected for representing a power they would need to put their CR and SP. It would not make sense to have vastly different SP and CR levels doing this because that would answer nothing in the end.

So, what do you guys think?

I'll even offer myself up for the candidate for Ice but I'm 100% sure there is a more capable player out there = ) I'd still do it though = )
  2. TheKeefMaster Well-Known Player

BTW devs you guys should be all over something like this since it'll end up making your jobs easier (you'll know who to buff/nerf) and you'll be able to tell the whiners with 100% certainty that their power isn't broken, they just need to learn how to play.
  3. Saami Loyal Player

Interesting idea. Would weapon mastery users be separated to PffT or Hybrid users?
  4. TheKeefMaster Well-Known Player

No, it wouldn't matter. Just looking to see which power is better no matter how it's played. Everyone is going to have different play styles.
  5. StealthBlue Loyal Player

Technically you would want 3 of each power, one doing each play style, to prove each play style is viable on each power. Also, you need a separate test proving that all weapons are viable, so you can prove a weapon wasn't a difference for any weapon/hybrid user.
  6. TheKeefMaster Well-Known Player

I was just trying to KISS as much as possible.

I do see the sense of having 3 of each power doing each playstyle though.
  7. Zpred Dedicated Player

Ok so to test this theory out you're gonna need dps (I'm assuming this is a dps thing) be equally skilled, they are all gonna need the same stats.

How are you gonna take in considerstion of x person getting more lucky crits? Or x person doing x mechanic? Or x person picking up or x dps that gets knocked out? And with x power shinning a bit better in certain content and vice versa? Or x dps getting to adds 1st?

I mean it seems like your contest is in friendly way but there sooooooo many different variables to take in consideration apart from power type on the leader board. :)
  8. TheKeefMaster Well-Known Player

I really think you guys are thinking way too much about this.

Zpred to answer your x questions - I wouldn't worry about any of them. If someone gets better crits they get better crits. If someone's mechanics are better than someone elses then that person who has worse mechanics shouldn't have signed up for this, for one, and also they'll see their way (mechanics) are not the best.

As for the other x questions/concerns I'd say that if someone doesn't pick someone up in this then they just proved their power isn't the best because if you have to constantly be putting out damage in order to be the top dps, you're really not the top dps. If a certain power shines better than the others (assuming you mean earth or lightning) then the devs will have a crystal clear picture and irrefutable proof that all the complaining about those powers are legit and maybe they'll fix them. If someone gets to ads first then that's really just them getting to ads first, that's all. I would say if there's someone who's jumping ahead of the entire group trying to "get there first" so they hit everything first or whatever, then that players numbers they're putting up just doesn't count because they're not playing within the set boundaries of the contest.

I mean, to make this as simple as possible I would say that whoever thinks they're good enough with their power to represent that power can do this. Doesn't matter the mechanics, whether it's hybrid/superpowered/etc, whatever it is.

If you're confident in your power then have at it, represent it.

If you think about it, the people who would sign up for something like this SHOULD be beastly at their playstyle no matter the mechanics, etc.
  9. Zpred Dedicated Player

I meant raid mechanics like consoles etc not power mechanics but nvm. As for the rest of your response with the so be it type with crits etc and the so be it if x preson gets there 1st... this contest cannot be taken seriously in terms of data for which power is the best.... or i mean which power is best for damage per second per raid.

But sorry, yeah I think I looked into it more then needed, I didn't realise it was just a fun little contest to show a part of the story.

I thought It was a proper test to see which which power has the best dps potential but I should of realised it's not actually possible to test it like that in your contest, wayyyyy too many variables to take into consideration.
  10. Zpred Dedicated Player

I think you meant to get a rough idea/average in which is best which can be done for fun.

You will probably need to set some rules though like.

On the pftt run, it's powers only, no trinkets, no buff sodas, no supply drops etc, No tapping range between each power etc, purely powers only (not including iconics) each dps will need to have the same or very very close might.

Think that would be a fun fair challenge
  11. TheKeefMaster Well-Known Player

It's not possible to test the powers like that ever unless one person who has the same skill with every power does it themself.

Yeah it's a fun little contest only, but it WOULD answer the question of which power is better.

You mentioned which power is best for damage per second per raid......that's irrelevant because if a power/playstyle really is the best power, it'll perform the same in all content. Yes I know some powers have AoE powers that hit harder and all sorts of other things that make each power different somehow but at the end of the day in my opinion the best power is the one that performs well/best in any content, not just certain content.
  12. TheKeefMaster Well-Known Player

I see what you mean and yes, rules would be set forth before the challenge actually began.

I would say in an effort to make it as simple as possible that the only people who would really be "qualified" to do something like this and their results actually be taken seriously would be 220+CR people who more than likely have 300+ SP and comparable trinkets across the board.
  13. TheKeefMaster Well-Known Player

So, just throwing this out there, I take it nobody wants to do anything like this?

I don't understand why.

You guys will ***** til you're blue in the face about how broken a power is and how bad we need new powers but when someone says prove it you **** like you forgot how to speak.

Just about every day someone asks which power is best and most of you put them in front of a firing squad for asking the question and tell them it's already been asked, go read such and such thread, or use whatever power you're happiest with. What kind of answer (much less way to treat someone) is that? Wouldn't it be best to say, well it was proven that such and such power is best or that all the powers really are the same because there was a fun competition held that proved it back in the day.

I just really don't understand, but I'm not going to lie, it's not like I didn't expect this to happen either.

And seriously, if your excuse is that it won't be fair due to this player has more might or not all players have the same equipment or not all of the players would have the same stats......instead of making more excuses come up with a solution that would still make something like this possible.

And just so we're all on the same page, it will NEVER be as fair as you want it to be. It's impossible to have that many people with the exact same stats, gear, internet connection, tv resolution, attention span, reaction time, playing skill, determination, etc. There are way too many variables to make it 100% even across the board, all we could do is make it as even as possible.

I'm still up to do something like this and if anyone would like to also just message me in game or send me mail.
  14. L T Devoted Player

I think this is a neat idea!
  15. Mazahs Loyal Player

I don't dislike the idea, just don't think its practical or.would yield proper results.
    Some.of the big hitter have big time weaknesses (unless using iconic or broken weapon combos lime smoke bomb or cleave)

Rage / Earth is melee based
    Electric is built around 3+ adds but can do even better with blast adapter and rifle tals

All the while Gadgets can keep up in all areas.