Looking for tanking advice

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by ArkLegion, Nov 27, 2017.

1. ArkLegion New Player

Im looking to get back into the game and when i left quite some while ago there was always a need for tanks sooo i was wondering what the easiest tank power and weapon combo
  2. krytine Loyal Player

That is totally up to you and your style of play. Some say ice others atomic others rage yet others earth and fire so it depends on you if you prefer using your weapon or doing just powers again up to you man
    • Like x 2
  3. Cold Fusion Well-Known Player

I have played all the tanks and Earth is probably the easiest and most self reliant...
    It's not power hungry and you don't need to focus on combos or rage crash mechanics..
    Just keep brick pet out feed him here and there..
    you can even have jackhammer in your loadout so if brick dies just do jackhammer which will gives you stone skin and bring brick back out...
    Pop gem shield when things get heavy...
    Your breakout/immunity heals you..
    Pull can wrap 5 ads in stone.

Earth is great for people that like to be in the fight.. like counter and interrupting the bosses.
    • Like x 2
  4. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Regardless of tank power, remember to turn the boss away from the group, and pull adds as soon as they pop. One wandering add can wipe a few people fast.

Chronometric emitters are a quick stun for when things get crazy too
  5. Cold Fusion Well-Known Player

True...
    Chrono Emitters are great to have in utility belt..

I use those.. supply drop.. orbital.. and Personal Dampening Field (absorbs 100% damage for 6 sec.) Very handy for those oh crap moments...lol
    • Like x 1
  6. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Yea with the shields actually working after revamp theyre back on top. I use them for dps too
  7. L T Devoted Player

I started this thread in the guide section to show how the Tank powers compare. It's still a work in progress. Haven't finished the write up for Rage still, but it's in a more or less useful state.

Post Revamp, there are, to my mind, 3 clear tiers of tanks.
    1. VERY STRONG: Rage (with higher risk) and Earth Brick (easier/lower risk)
    2. OK: Atomic (with higher risk) and Ice (easy/low risk)
    3. WEAK/NOT FOR THE FEINT OF HEART: Fire and Earth Aftershocks
    • Like x 3
  8. Glacial Breeze Well-Known Player

LT, I could not disagree with your analysis of fire tank more. You do not take into consideration the fact that Fire tanking requires more SP because of the need for Health, Resto, Crit Chance Healing, and Crit Magnitude Healing, while most other tanks require one main stat. So while Fire Tanking may be difficult with 150 SP, it is extremely easy with 240+. I tend to look at Tanking powers in terms of how easy they are to use at different SP levels. Ice being the easiest to use early in game and fire being the hardest.

I came back to the game after a year long break and have easily solo'd the final bosses in WC, SJ, RoTB, and Injustice. I haven't had any problems tanking any content. We usually league run all daily content with three DPS when I am tanking, and have NO problems.
    • Like x 1
  9. Wet fluffy Well-Known Player

Just to clarify, have you tried elite content with your Fire tank? If so could you elobarate on your experiences or opinions? I don’t think soloing alerts is a good indicator of a tank’s powerset strength or weakness.

I agree with LT. One example of Fire’s mismatch with other tanks is it’s out of block defence bonus mechanic. Ice, Earth and Rage get a defence bonus for activating one power from their tray. Atomic gets a bonus just for turning up. For fire to get the most from it’s out of block mechanic it has to hit a burning npc 20 times. The 50% bonus heal in mechanic doesn’t cut it in hard content.
  10. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Hi
    I agreed with a lot Cold Fusion said but to add a little..

Go Earth, use Brick + group taunt + totem
    Stick the basics, taunt/turtle/PoT Brick/totem.

In the past (haven't tried it since the revamp so anyone feel free to chime in if it no longer works) I used the Iconic Lasso as my solo taunt for bosses. really liked that. used it with RLantern too.
  11. Glacial Breeze Well-Known Player

Ya I agree, but that s why you turtle tank instead of using the lame buff that you get from not blocking. The 50% defense buff along with the healing received buff still doesn't match the buff from using the block button. As far as elite Yes I have done elite content, although our league hasn't passed Zooe, I still have absolutely no problem tanking Manbat batman and healing myslef through his big hitter. No problems with any other elite content.

Just because there is a mechanic to allow Fire to "Battle Tank" doesn't mean that Fire can effectively battle tank.