Devs, Why Am I Putting 4-5 Gold Spammers On Ignore Per Day?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Rockhound665, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Easy: No chat at all until level 10 and no LFG chat until level 30. These dopes only stick around until they get off the ship. Hell, you don't even have to do the ship anymore. They simply create a player, give it a name like ghytjum, then bot away in chat. Make them have to go through the drudgery of leveling and you'll cut them down significantly. The way things are, like I said, I'm putting 3-5 on ignore in a span of 4 or 5 minutes when I first get on.
    • Like x 2
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

That hurts everyone else who aren't bots and has alts. Or new people that need help and can't ask for it cause their chat box is disabled.
    • Like x 3
  3. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Sorry to say but too bad. Leveling to 10 takes all of a half an hour so it won't be too painful.
    • Like x 1
  4. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

If you're experienced. Not if you're new trying to learn how the game works.
    • Like x 2
  5. Derio 15000 Post Club

Because the game is slowly transforming to Neverwinter 2. With the TC, Artifacts, Gold spammers in every chat channel. I do hope they do something about them. But I highly doubt they will do anything about it.
  6. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

A win-win pro-tip. Gold spammers are always under level 30 and will accept duels ALL the time. For easy dueling feats invite them to 1)an easy duel win for the feat and 2)temporarily stop them from spamming the shout chat.
    • Like x 2
  7. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I put like 5 or more or ignore a damn day it's annoying AF like what the hell and don't get me started because when you switch to an atl to work on the damn pain starts all over again lol lol.
  8. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Never annoyed me, I just ignore them, must be legal if daybreak allows it.

I just carry on.

No need for me to get frustrated over a small annoyance when there are bigger issues with the game, js.
    • Like x 1
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The only thing they did that allowed the vermin in, is merging the dwindling PC players server with the much larger PS server...which combined with the fact that it costs NOTHING to have an account and play the game, gave them a larger pool of targets. When you factor in players' willingness to play Russian roulette with their credit/debit info when they didn't have to...well no wonder they've proliferated like a virus.

Before you start playing the "the Devs did this to us" card, try to remember a little something called Personal Responsibility. No matter what the company has done, no one...absolutely NO ONE was ever or will ever be FORCED to use those Gold Spammer's services...no matter how you or anyone else tries their best to twist the definition of the word "forced". The game being free to play does not absolve the players from the choices they made willingly which encouraged these spammers to fully set up shop in this game like they have in others.
    • Like x 3
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

This "too bad" attitude may work for you...the company on the other hand can't view things like you do, cause that's not how business works. If they do things that actively hurts new player, they are turning away tons of potential customers. And that has a snowball effect on the rest of us (so it STILL becomes our problem somehow).
    • Like x 1
  11. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

It's not necessarily a case of willingness to do something, but quite probably the ability to do something. If they're the plague they're purported to be across the MMO/online gaming landscape, and others have failed to put them out of business, what makes you think it can be done here???
  12. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

OK, then build in an additional check for similar messages spammed over and over again. It's really not too hard to come up with something that would work. I'm sorry but this is simple to fix.
    • Like x 1
  13. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You make the mistake of assuming that they're allowed by the company, when the truth is that they're hard to eliminate properly...like roaches.
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

If that where true, if it was that easy, you think they wouldn't have done that already???
  15. Backblock Well-Known Player

Gold Spammers really bother people?
    The spammers never bothered me, its just like seeing people shouting for cards and paypal.
  16. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

They gave it a whirl a few weeks back but it was badly done (like banning www so spammers would use vvvvvv instead). It is seriously not hard to code something that blocks a variety of keywords (and the filter system already exists). When I do customer satisfaction analytics for my company we use algorithms to filter out crap like this all the time. It's not hard. So another example if you put: vv__w__vv just start with removing crap characters (the underscores), then apply a variety of combinations (vv == w) and if that makes up www then block and delete the post/user (with some additional checks to see if it's about selling gold or something similar). All it needs is a tweak on a weekly basis to get rid of the new flavor. In the end you will end up with messages that people will not even bother to decrypt and they will give up. It's not hard... Additionally you can build in other checks like person straight from the Braniac ship never left his spot for over 30 minutes & spams a similar message. There are tons of things I can think of to identify with 99.9% certainty that it's a gold spammer. But any case, let's agree to disagree.
    • Like x 1
  17. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

They already tried something to resolve the gold spammer problem. If you take a look at their messages, they have to significantly space them out now.

Beyond that, Gold Spammers have always been an MMO problem. Even World Of Warcraft has them, so If one of the longest MMO's can't get rid of the bots; I certainly don't expect DCUO to ever get rid of them.
    • Like x 2
  18. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

I know, that's why I said it was done poorly. Normally you would trim the message (so underscores, spaces, other weird characters, etc.) are just removed before you analyze the text. There are so many ways to automate this. And if you immediately ban the person trying to sell gold it will take them forever before they can try again to see which combination does work. One failed attempt is a ban, take another 10 minutes to try again. Discouragement works best.
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

What you're suggesting is that they play a game of whack-a-mole...even though they've cut out GMs in-game to save money. Not likely to happen. They need a more permanent solution that won't require having someone whacking away every day. They need a better roach killer.
    • Like x 1
  20. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

I made some edits to the post you quoted. But it is possible to automate the roach killer with minimum effort. I will put up something later in the week (simple Excel online sheet with one field where you can enter a gold spam message of your choice or any variety of weird gold spam messages you can come up with) and you can see if it gets blocked automatically just to prove my point. And I will record the time that it took me to create this 'filter' to put the effort involved into perspective since I'm building this from scratch.
    • Like x 1