Star Trek: Discovery TV Series

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DCUO Post, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Azreaus Committed Player

not getting a "Trek" vibe from this show - looks kinda generic to me (especially the abominations they are trying to pass off as Klingons)
  2. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Watched the first two episodes. Not bad, not bad at all.
    • Like x 1
  3. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Liked the first one, on the fence about having to sub n watch on the small screen, then ic PS4 has the CBS all access app ,
  4. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

It was a hot mess the technology was wrong for the time period holograms like that aren't around till DS9 and the Klingons don't have cloaks for another 20 years . The crew was bad not a likeable character in the whole group.
  5. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

It's before the 60s Trek , in the 60s they didn't have the tec to make it like this, use your imagination
    • Like x 1
  6. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I could only see the first episode (not paying for the service) and I liked what I saw.

It did have issues with writing and acting but over all it was good.

The massive whining about "it's not Trek" because (insert reason here), has just gone beyond the dumb factor. Sure some things shouldn't have been there but there is no way they could have made a new show that was made to look like a 1960s TV show, not even the biggest Trekkies would watch it.

The thing is Star Trek is based in our reality, it is a vision of our possible future. Our current technology has already gone beyond TOS, so any new shows/movies have to reflect that.

As for things of canon, much of what I saw complained about can be explained but it will fall on deaf ears. The cloaks as I have been seeing are in a disputed area, the canon example people used is not definitive.
    • Like x 1
  7. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wait, what? Tell me, where are Replicators? The Transporters? The Holodecks? Medical Trocorders? Heck, where are the Shuttles? We haven't even gone beyond the reliance on fossil fuel!!
  9. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

Forget that where's those robot women that Mudd was trying to sell.
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Have you tried... Japan? Also caught a glimpse of a news item about robot women on the continent of Zealandia
    • Like x 1
  11. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I was expecting a very different comments from you but I was wondering if someone would say this.

Obviously I'm talking about practical, everyday technology and not the things you mentioned but much of that is being worked on in some form. We have touchscreens, holographic displays, we use things like tapes/disks less and then there's our phone tech, that combines many of the ST devises except phasers (but give it time that could happen). Oh, we do have a slight version of a replicators, 3D printers.

Basically most of what we have now is more inline with TNG than TOS in esthetics and functions and even then we are going past TNG. There is an irony in that much of todays tech was inspired by Star Trek.
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

What were you expecting from me? o_O (like to keep things interesting and everyone guessing :D )

You don't really hear much about 3D Printers now, unless it's a story in some TV show where they go mad and try and kill everyone in the building (the printer itself, not a human using the printer)
    Knew had forgotten one: the phasers :(

To be honest, was expecting you to reply with technology in the film industry: hi-tech cameras and Very Special Effects :p

The main point is: STD is set before TOS, so it matters not how far our tech has progressed in the last 50 years, their tech should still not be greater than TOS, unless they explain it away via Snake Plisken, and do not get me started on the new Crab-heads! It was bad enough turning the Space Porto Ricans into Crab-heads in the first place for TNG (and that bottom-dwelling sub-sub-species of cosplayers that grew up around it like a fungal-virus!)
  13. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I thought you would say something a long the lines of, if they can't do it similar to the original then don't do it.

I still see stuff about 3D printers, they are still more of a curiosity but they're being used by a wide variety of people/businesses.

The advancements in film tech did come to mind but I was going with real world, everyday uses. The film world is still make believe, fantasy after all, they have less limits.

The original look of the Klingons was set by the limits of the budget. When the first movie happened budget issues were no more and it gave them the ability to make a real alien look for the Klingons but they also needed to make the change do to the Asian stereotypes associated with the original look.

Weird fact the skin color for TOS Klingons was created with shoe polish.
  14. Azreaus Committed Player

As a generic (non Trek) show it was fine but for me it just didn't have the feeling/vibe of a proper Trek show, I could get past the random out of sequence uniforms/way more advanced tech for the time period/he ungodly abomination that is ST-D's Klingons if it had it felt like a trek show.

If you enjoyed it then good for you but I will not be watching it and will be watching The Orville which feels more like a Trek show than ST-D.

P.S. It would have been better if they'd introduced the ST-D Klingons as a totally new races rather than taking one of the most iconic trek races and completely f'king them up like they did.
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Asian stereotype look for TOS Klingons? Weren't they supposed to be Space Porto Ricans? o_O

And agree with Azreaus: they should have introduced these NuKlingons as an entirely new (soon to be ignored) race. How are they going to explain this change? At least Worf attempted to explain it as a Space Virus (or Mutation or something), can't remember if he meant his look or the TOS look
  16. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Its the skin color that made you think that but they were of an Asian design. Looking at the production history, the only physical descriptions the screenwriter who created Klingons gave were, oriental (different times) and hard faced.

The Enterprise show gave a reasoning for the TOS look, Eugenics (Khan), the super soldier concept. Klingon scientists took material from human test subjects and used it on their people, it caused a viral pandemic that resulted in Klingons developing human-like physical characteristics. Dr. Phlox found a cure but it would take several generations for the alterations to reverse.

The basic explanation (without official word) for Discovery is that, with there being 24 houses (tribes of a sort), which appear to have been separated for sometime now, only some of them got hit with the virus.
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Never heard of the Klingons being described as 'oriental' before, but thank you
  18. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Sorry but the gender ep was so cringe-y. Nothing like forced PC..... in space.
  19. Azreaus Committed Player

Gender issues? like the ones covered by prime timeline Star Trek multiple times??
  20. Agent Canada Active Player

Disliked it immensely, written in such a way that Michael can do no wrong and yet that's all she does. There isn't even a payoff for her disobedience and yes mutiny. She even has a private line to Sarek "her mentor" her tells her to be very careful with the information he provides and she in turn runs to the bridge and either lies or blabs it in front of the entire bridge crew.
    So "10 years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise" Sarek has a protege in the Federation, kind of makes the animosity of Spock and Sarek's relationship pointless
    And when the Captain returns to the bridge after being attacked, attempted Vulcan Nerve pinch by the way, she still give Michael the chance to stand down when she should have shot her on principle.
    As for the vaguely Egyptian, demonic, religious zealot Klingons, well we've seen Stargate thanks.