Dev Discussion Update: Time Capsules, Quarks, and Costs

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charmed Legacy Dedicated Player

Thanks lol
    • Like x 1
  2. ghosts Well-Known Player

my main issue with this whole situation isn't the new vendor itself, I realize it's a business model that isn't going away and I wasn't planning on putting money into it. My problem is the fact that I see you put so much effort, manpower and creativity on coming up with new monetization microtransaction schemes while there are whole aspects of this game that have been ignored and mistreated for years, gameplay aspects, things that should be top priority for a company if they value and respect their customers.

I'm referring of course, among other things, about PVP mode which has been ignored by you longer than I have been playing this game, lackluster buggy content with reused assets and a single boring style, legends PVE which is an insufferable grind which most of us hate, the stats revamp which is a half finished effort that still needs a lot of work (Sorcery says hello), the complete lack of information and natural progession for new players so we're stuck with people at endgame that don't know how to play the game (which in my opinion is an even bigger reason than time capsules on why this game is declining), quality of life improvements that are few and far between, and I'm a sure many other issues that I'm forgetting to mention.

My question for the company is: are we going to see the money that you get for players that engage in RNG microtransaction schemes being put back into the game? If we had a game where all the gameplay aspects were well thought, engaging and at least semi functional you wouldn't have so much of an outrage with your customers about your business model, but instead the majority of announcements we get from you is how you're realeasing the newest shiny stuff in a lootbox for suckers to waste their money trying to get while they use replay badges to grind underwhelming bug ridden content for the overpriced gear and feat related items before the newest grindfest episode comes out

Start to put more effort, manpower and creativity trying to make the gameplay aspects of this game more enjoyable and rewarding for your customers instead of focusing on coming up with newer and more efficient microtransaction schemes because eventually even fools like me that are barely hanging on to this game will wise up and realize the state of it is not worth paying for
    • Like x 3
  3. OhSicks Well-Known Player

My GF primarily plays this game for the cosmetic aspects. One thing about this game that I have liked is that there are not really these types of money based items in the game. These feels like a step in that direction and while I understand the slippery slope arguments flaws, this feels like it is a step toward pay to win.
    • Like x 1
  4. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

Lets pretend shall we? After all, you seem to be relatively good at it. There is no doubt the population numbers have dwindled over time. Part of the reason those numbers have dwindled is the poor choices that have been made. Some of those poor choices (time capsules being pay to win) were a direct turn off for certain players. Why do you elect to totally ignore the poor choices with your great and almighty all knowing attitude? Keep running the game into the ground. Pretty soon no one will be left to buy the wonderful time capsules you seem to adore. That sir, is far worse than me banging my head against the wall speaking out against something that is detrimental to the overall health of the game.
    • Like x 3
  5. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

At least some players get it. Some want to stick there heads in the sand and pretend time capsules are the games savior. They aren't. They are part of the reason many players left. Ignoring this is complete and utterly naive about the community and their desires.
    • Like x 4
  6. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

maybe they need the money to finish the stats revamp?
    • Like x 2
  7. BƖack Dedicated Player

Where all this moneys that i invest in this game since 2011 are spending for? On making things like Time Capsules? Copy'n paste PVE Content? What about gameplay quality? About PVP? New Legends? Marketplace?
  8. Drathmor Unwavering Player

As long as its cosmetic only most of us shouldn't have any problems with the whales spending whatever they wish. It's those feats attached that cause almost all of the venom from us. other than the complaints from the whales themselves who really want whatever style or material or whatever being too expensive that's on them and yall to figure out. Skill point should be just that reliant on skill or some action taken by the player not behind some random RNG wall and especially not behind money spent beyond what it takes to play the episode. and I cant speak for all but I know my friends and what we discuss and that simple thing would appease them. I know we all will buy things we like, we just don't want progression tied to cash but to us as players
    • Like x 4
  9. light FX Steadfast Player

Also, i just noticed the notes say "reduced the price of the blue smoke material from 5700 to 4000." Making it look like it was reduced by 1700. But if your subbed it was reduced by only 1129. So premium players get the larger reduction? What premium player is opening that many TCs but not subbing? How does this make sense?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 5
  10. recoil Committed Player

quite frankly i think the stabilizer event would've been better implemented as a solo. i have a slow connection and by time i get into it the other player has already run ahead and either died or just near soloed the waves of adds. one time i had one run ahead, die, asked me if i was asleep, and then left. so i went in and killed the last 2 waves of adds and soloed per degaton. as for people buying their way to upper tiers i completely agree. when you have so many water users trying to MELEE with a healer power in tier 5 you know they're not that bright.
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Members receive a 10% discount at the Quark vendor. This has not changed.
  12. BumblingB I got better.

What bugs me the most, is you give us new things like this and then get surprised when we react this way. Like, "I don't understand why they don't like it. It's what they asked for!"

This is the epitome of the example of a disconnect. We want to support our game, but we don't want to be financially crippled in the process. Most games that have lottery options are actually fun. You want to know why? Because we can actually make a choice to open it or not. If we get something good, great! But there is no necessary NEED to get it to progress.

Time Capsule alone make the game that much smaller. Now add on a grind that if you actually wanted something from it, you have to go through an RNG costly process. It's utter madness.

Also, seeing several DBG proponents actually talking negatively for this new "feature" in this thread speaks loads on the disconnect.
    • Like x 14
  13. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

There's so much I could say... I'm only gonna say what I feel needs to be said, since most of the ppl here are waving a flag that says "devs are devils and can do no right" on it. Quick note: this doesn't apply to those that disagree with what the devs do, and present a cogent, HONEST argument.

This ONLY applies to the extremists on here.

The ones that very often say they want the truth from the devs. Well, much as I have disagreed lately it the devs, Mepps is being honest here. He's being straightforward with you guys, and some of you are blowing right by it. It doesn't get them any credit whatsoever. It's like "yeah they're being honest- NOW! If it took this long for them to be honest imagine how much they're still lying about!"

You can wail and wail, but feats aren't getting removed off of TCs. This means that most of the in game players buy the heck outta them. So please stop trying to lump in all the old school players in. I've seen some crazy blanket statements here. You don't speak for this day one player, I LOVE TCs.

Lotta talk about how the devs don't listen. Yet things have been much better lately, arguably better than its ever been and they're not getting any credit for that, either. What do you think happens when the devs decide they just can't win because the forum brigade never cuts them any slack? I think the devs will stop cutting us any slack when that happens.

This isn't another one of the "stop complaining" attempts. I just think you'd all be better off if you weren't so all fanatical. I wasn't gonna say a word and felt obliged because it seemed that only a few ppl were able to see just how overzealous some of you have become, like if hating the devs was some sort of perverse religion. I've seen it for years, and it's not just old you guys, it's ancient. Stop being so hateful, try being factual instead.

Your emotions won't help you win this argument, no matter how justified you may think you are.
    • Like x 4
  14. BumblingB I got better.

I don't hate the devs.
    I actually like quite a few of them. (Sad some left.)
    But it's not a blanket statement when the cost and conversation are not equal.

The devs do listen, but they don't connect what we relay. Most of us (not all) understand they CAN'T give us exactly what we want, because there would be no drive to do it again. The problem lays with how far of the "can't" they go.

Time Capsules are NOT in any way bad in concept. I've played many games that have the whole RNG boxes that if I enjoy the game, will purchase. It earned that from me. (TF2, Tera, etc.) But they don't attach progression to them either. Which compels anyone to need them, because they want to progress their character. That means they are no longer optional and adds more of a pricey one click addition to the game.

This new feature on the other hand was supposed to alleviate the "Aww shucks" feeling you get when you don't get what you want. That you could get "something". The concept was a very nice addition, but the price shows otherwise. They added NEW cosmetic items that people have been asking for since the bling or fireman MP update. To something that is locked behind an RNG item they may not want to get that includes astronomical prices when all they want is the style. THAT is why players are here disagreeing with the developers. That is utter ridiculous addition to the game that falls in the category of the bling update. It will be viewed as unsuccessful and when anyone mentions it later, the response would be "but you guys hated it". OF COURSE WE WOULD!

So as much as I appreciate your "opinion" on the matter, you are lumping everyone into the "whiners" category when all we are trying to show is our disapproval of a new feature that we know wont end well for us.
    • Like x 11
  15. DC Urban Committed Player

Put items in the MP for members only.

This would increase subs, and kill the gamble. Essentially, if you sub, ya get to buy any new items in the MP. If you do not sub, ya can't

Kills TC, gives the mp people what they want, and enforces subs, which should be a f2p play mmo's main priority.

The way TC are release, every 5 weeks or so? People will have to re-sub.
    • Like x 11
  16. Shark Dental Devoted Player

This is funny because a lot of people are expressing exactly why they don't like the ideas being implemented, along with examples and numbers. This post on the other hand, is total emotion and nothing else. Of course, you're free to express your opinion, but you're doing exactly what you're telling others not too. Any quotes or numbers you'd care to mention?
    • Like x 2
  17. BƖack Dedicated Player

You are our last hope DGC, you guys are better than this/that. Since 2011 DCUO for first time is pushing me away so much.
    • Like x 1
  18. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

I thought I was pretty clear actually. I don't care one way or the other, I just get a little concerned when I see ppl like Mohican getting railed on for his opinion because he doesn't have a pitchfork in hand.

I wasn't even thinking ppl I respect would now take it out on me as if I said something controversial.

I guess I should apologize for that. It really wasn't my intention, I just think that most here are quick to blame the devs or ignore the good they do. I can't give you numbers for that, they use don't exist and I'm not going to search the forums for examples. I thought it was pretty obvious that ppl are quick to riot.

Again, my bad.
    • Like x 4
  19. recoil Committed Player

i'm glad they did the vendor, and i'm glad mepps stated that our idea of putting capsule styles in the new vendor was noted and that he approves, but like politics, can i hold the devs to this statement? and better question what kind of double cross can i expect this time?
  20. Compound Omega Level 30

Has anyone had any luck with the drops from the new capsules?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.