Why do hard light combos lose crowd control effects?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Streven, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Streven Dedicated Player

Subject. Seems odd.
  2. matth431 Level 30

Yeah took me a while post-revamp to spot that this is why add groups were now my bane - my CC wasn't locking them up as much. Switched to PffT rotations - just as good given the combos now cost just as much power.
    • Like x 1
  3. Schimaera Devoted Player

DPS have less crowd control in the revamp. That includes the hard light combos as well. While soloing stuff try to slot a shield and you'll be golden. Since all superpowers are unlockt all the time it's just a matter of a few seconds :)
  4. Streven Dedicated Player

Yeah it is kinda frustrating because intuitively I want to combo but you get your butt handed to you. Trying different pftt loadouts now. A little let down though to be honest.
  5. LighTning Emperor Well-Known Player

Don't feel bad. At least you have cc by activating your powers from the tray. Rage has nothing now. No stuns only damage. It's funny tho. Rage and fire are the only powers without stuns now. Seems fair...
  6. Streven Dedicated Player

Rage has 5 knockdown, a shield, and a really good self heal.

Fire has multiple shields, knockdowns, and self heals as well.

Light has the moves but you lose the CC if you combo which is really Light's thing. So I yeah you can get CC but only on the first hit. You can't play it with combos, like it was designed for, in small content without frustration.

With Fire you cast meteor (knockdown), mass detonation (knockdown if on fire), fireburst and most adds are dead. Mop up with any 100 cost spam move you want.

With rage you can lead with relentless anger (knockdown), do an Outrage combo and finish with Lacerate (knockdown). You also have a ranged knockdown with Dreadful Blast.

I can get some CC with light like I said it just doesn't feel like I'm playing hard light when in not comboing . The best rotation ive come up with so far is Quake spikes, whip lash, and Lightweight spin. It is by far the least survivable powerset I've played for small content. I'm sure I'm just doimg it wrong though.
  7. Schimaera Devoted Player

Relentless Anger knocks enemies down. Also it's not really my job as a dps to crowd control. When I solo stuff I just kill it quick enough so that missing control effects are not relevant.

Also: Chronometric Emitters :)
  8. Schimaera Devoted Player

Most of which are irrelevant for DPSing. However I agree with your second part almost directly saying that doing enough damage will even out the lack of control effects :p
    • Like x 1
  9. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

Yuup, considering earth could JH to hearts content with all the CC in the world. I have not checked since the fix to JH.

Does anyone know if JH still has its CC for the duration of its infinite combos?
  10. Mazahs Loyal Player

Range multi target
    PI Ram(p) fan(c) clip Ram(p) keep this up till you need to reapply
    Melee multi with adds spread out
    PI Ram(p) whips (c) clip whips(p)
    Melee with Adds grouped
    PI Whips(p) whips(c) clip LW(p) spin 4x LW throw(c) clip whips (p)

If you are doing it right you'll never see the combo part when clipping into a tray power but still get full damage. For Range single you can do the double ST grasping hand rotation but SUPER POWER hungry. You could also do PI Ram(p) ST(c) ST(p) HC(p) HC (c) x2 HC(p) keep doing HC part.

Use WT, HC leg mods (I prefer HC) and energized chompers head mod.
  11. Streven Dedicated Player

I have finally settled on a small content loadout of Spikequake, Lightweight spin, Whip Thrash, Impact, Hardlight shield, SC. I typically start with spikes for PI and knockdown, then whip x2 clip LW spin. Impact for getting into chainsaw quickly or ranged combo.

It's not big on combos but it is very effective and versatile. The spin is where it's at it seems. Good protection while doing solid damage and good to clip with. Impact is probably the move that surprised me the most. It's fast, does good total damage and gets you straight into either your best melee move or a good ranged combo. I had originally overlooked it but got paired with another player using it and saw the light lol.

I can happily say I'm no longer frustrated with the powerset. My light toon is a newbie level 72 that I made last week and have yet to step into a raid or even an alert beyond area 51 due to the issues I was having. Now I may even buy her a second armory and gear up proper as I'm starting to have a lot of fun with her.

The only powersets left for me to try since the revamp are Sorcery, Gadgets and Quantum. Looking forward to testing them out soon. So far the only real dud is Mental it seems.
    • Like x 1
  12. Streven Dedicated Player

I will try out Ram in place of impact and try out your rotations. Look interesting.