So I Joined a Houston Disaster Relief Team

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by High Troller, Sep 10, 2017.

1. High Troller Loyal Player

The big retailer store chain i work for had sign ups for helping in Houston. I just came back after a week. I have never been to Houston before. I have never been to this kind of disaster zone before. I met people that have lived through Hurricane Harvey and told me their story.

I come back a changed man. I am returning to Houston for another week+ coming soon. The waters should be far lower in the areas and the communities might start to rebuild.

I write this to you guys because I encourage you to reach out to something for a good cause. This for me was/is/will be an eye-opening experience.
    • Like x 10
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

This doesn't belong in the "funhouse."

Good on you though, doing your part to help people, that's probably what I need to do, go volunteer somewhere
    • Like x 4
  3. High Troller Loyal Player

Sometimes there will be paid 'gigs' that will fly you out and supply room and board for your volunteer time....and it's paid. I'm getting only regular pay, but it's the fact I'm able to ...... listen and help.......being part of that initial impact..
    • Like x 2
  4. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Now sign up for Miami
    • Like x 1
  5. High Troller Loyal Player

if the opportunity pops up, i will!
    • Like x 1
  6. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

[insert Sarcasm]
    • Like x 1
  7. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

This was actually a very rare occurrence where I was not using sarcasm
    • Like x 3
  8. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

"People forget what you said, people forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel".

Good luck with the relief effort. No matter how small a difference you think you may be making, just remember that every house begins with one single brick. And any act of kindness will remind them that humanities greatest attribute is the ability to persevere and begin again.
    • Like x 2
  9. Kryptonian Being Committed Player

Lol a very rare occurrence. That made me laugh. You know I am really bad at spotting sarcasm . Anyways, if you're a tow truck driver, you're going to make a lot of money. I believe 1 million vehicles have been caught by the storm at Houstan. I would provide my medical assistant skills to those who need whatever aid they can get. Currently in San Antonio, still waiting for a call.
  10. High Troller Loyal Player

Used car sales are going way up in price in that area too!
  11. High Troller Loyal Player

The fact that I'm there in that store allows employees to go do what they need to do. I'm operating far outside of my job description out here as I've been a repair mechanic for ten years for this company. I'm working in other departments,learning new things, and making an impact.

It's a different feeling.
  12. High Troller Loyal Player

Added plus to volunteering for disaster relief teams, you get away from the game.
    • Like x 1
  13. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Kudos to you for putting your money where your mouth is. Not many people do that. My cousin does mission work and is in Haiti regularly. It's not fun work but as I said in another thread, you, my friend, are the miracle.
    • Like x 1
  14. High Troller Loyal Player

I'm put in a position where I can thrive off of restoring hope and what not in those that are affected in some way from Harvey. It's not entirely fun, but I feel great doing it!
  15. High Troller Loyal Player

I wasn't able to get on a Florida team, but my employer asked if i can stay another week! I'm stoked! I haven't been away from dcuo for this long in a very long time! Players prolly think I'm banned!
  16. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

I'm glad you had the experience and had your eyes opened a bit. I too went through a similar experience when 9/11 took place. Keep on helping, experiencing and exploring what you can.

#respect
    • Like x 1
  17. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Thank you.
    • Like x 1