Clinging by a Thin String

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by StillDeathern, Aug 16, 2017.

1. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

Yes, no one will care. Quit, send me your stuff, etc. will ensue I am sure.

I have subbed pretty much every month since 2011, even when I didn't play that often, which wasn't that often, there may have been a few, very few, missed months, but not many.

I have almost 2,000 days in my current league, and have played extensively as a league leader for years, recruiting, encouraging, and fostering relationships that have developed both in game and out. Most of those 2,000 days I have logged in and played, for hours on end, supporting my friends and league mates along the way, as well as the occasional pug. In essence, I know I have directly and indirectly impacted the DCUO lives of a number of players.

I greatly anticipated the stat revamp. What it would do for players. The movement away from DPSUO toward a broader game which allowed a more robust approach than was previously the games experience.

Typically, I am a glass half full type of guy. With the revamp though, I had high hope that the game would return to its earlier roots, with no WM, no AM, it would have more of a dependence on support roles, who, IMO, should be the engine that drive the game, allowing great DPS's to flourish, while providing a sense of accomplishment and reward to those players supporting those great DPS's.

I can honestly say, the stat revamp accomplished some of this. It certainly feels more balanced, the overall game play seems better, but the revamp failed in a number of areas, specifically for support roles.

IMO, trolls appear to have gotten the worst end of the deal. Yes, it is by far the support role I prefer to play the most, so I will discuss what I see wrong with it. Their overall role in the group continues to diminish. The are not required, not wanted, and un-needed in the vast majority of content. They produce far too little insta-power, while the game manufactures POT for them. What used to take some skill to play, feels greatly watered down when I do get to play it now. Their damage isn't that great when compared to other support classes, especially tank. Now, overall there is a lacking sense of accomplishment.

Before it felt great being able to maintain power bars, buffs, keep up POT, pickup dead DPS who wandered too close for comfort. It used to be, you could easily tell when you had a good troll in the group. The power bars would be full, they would stay full, pickups would be done, the damage buff would stay on, and you got a double tick when the troll wasn't busy picking up a dead DPS, and yes in those oh **** moments, magically a group shield would appear.

I think, overall, while the intent was good, the stat revamp has failed support roles, especially trolls. This has me clinging by a string. Do I quit? Simply go mindless DPS as the rest of the games community? Why isn't more consideration made for the players of support roles? Why do we not matter to the Dev's or the community except for raids? When will we got some love and attention, some focus like the DPS role has received with every game update since the beginning of time? What will attract future trolls, healers, and tanks to do the work that others refuse to perform, because often, there is much blame given, but rarely to a DPS for a failed run?
    • Like x 26
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Agreed. I harped constantly about trolls and how they needed to be changed, others did as well, yet nothing was done. The "I wanna stay a battery and nothing else" crowd got their wish, now the troll population suffers for it. Sure some do well and are fine with it, but seeing how long it takes to find a troll for a group? I'd say not many want to do it anymore.

Also, if you come back be prepared for "I thought you quit??" from ignorant people as a rebuttle to any argument you make in a debate, personal experience lol.
    • Like x 9
  3. Backseid Devoted Player

It's always been super, super easy to make the game work right for everyone.

But they continue to come up with odd gimmicks that screw everything up. If they could just keep things simple...

For Trolls, no one should ever be able to "play from the tray" without Trolls.

Tanks should have no ability to juggle/stun anyone.

And buffs/debuffs on NPC's should make a noticable difference.

Simple.
    • Like x 9
  4. krytine Loyal Player

I dont know about you but i have 3 of my trolls in my league doing close to 60% of the damage of a good dps and plenty of power plus debuffs . Most players not saying you are blind to how a support can do damage and that just is a false hood. Each role has a responsibility to do some kind of damage in what ever support role they are. If you are as good as you say then start adding damage to your load outs show them what a complete troll can do. That way we can shut those 5-1-1-1 nonsense up. Now granted you need to have sp and the right mods but it can be done
    • Like x 2
  5. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Careful with the things you say Backseid, lol
    • Like x 2
  6. Backseid Devoted Player

No support role should ever, even once, think about damage.

Major mistake right there.

Absolutely ridiculous.
    • Like x 12
  7. Backseid Devoted Player

I'm quite confident in that particular comment.

There's zero need for a Tank to have those abilities. Their power to keep the enemies attention covers both those abilities.

A "Controller" should be needed to stun/disable enemies.

Group synergy.
    • Like x 5
  8. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

That's one argument you will never win unfortunately. Taking away peoples shiny toys that they have had since the game released, is how you kill the population of a particular role. Do I agree removing stunning from tank role would make trolls useful? Oh definitely, but it is far too late to even consider that as a reasonable thing to request, let alone even say.
    • Like x 4
  9. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

this is DCUO though bruh, where DMG comes before everything, and role duties 2nd :rolleyes:

hell people think battle support should be a thing so badly they had it implemented into roles during the revamp. Which is why you see threads about tanks doing to much damage lol

blame all the people who want to battle support for that BS.
    • Like x 2
  10. Backseid Devoted Player

Well the way the Devs continue to do things certainly isn't working.

Maybe trying some simple, logical changes would actually help.

Tanks don't really use those abilities anyway. They only think they do. Any power gets them The attention they need.
  11. Backseid Devoted Player

Ugh. The whole "Battle Healer, Tank, Troll" thing.
    • Like x 3
  12. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

ask fatal any time that subject comes up I make ppls ignore list lmao
    • Like x 1
  13. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

You mean coming in 6th on the scoreboard, instead of 8?

What I want is for support roles to have some love and support. Make us matter. Make it rewarding. Make us relevant, in all content, not just end game raids.

These are smart people, they should be able to figure something out without relying on the forums for their ideas.

No where in the adjustment notes are support roles even mentioned, except for the role less buff, which they are going to increase in strength... not exactly supporting support roles IMO.
    • Like x 3
  14. Backseid Devoted Player

Oh I've been pissing on that subject since the old boards. Lol
  15. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

way I look at battle support is if you want to do it that badly, do it with friends / league only. Dont expect PUGs to put up with it or tolerate it like friends / leagues would.

And tbh for the devs to cave into that way of thinking is sad IMO, b/c now it makes every tom, dick, and harry think they battle support with their 90sp and 200CR lol

and expect to yell at ppl if they cant (trolls if they arent getting power, or healers if dying)
  16. Charmed Legacy Dedicated Player

Atomic says Hi....CC stun/juggle is the main two combos and mechanic for the tank side of that power....:rolleyes:
  17. light FX Steadfast Player

Name 5 pieces of content that has actual mechanics for trolls. Anb is one. LnW is another. Only 2 i can think of atm. They nerfed power out and made all CCing 3 seconds :confused: Not sure whose idea it was for trolling to be this way but its not fun at all. Debuffs still barely do anything. I still watch good dps burn bosses in roughly the same time whether a defense debuff is thrown or not. And only a handful of bosses need a heal debuff.

Better content with better mechanics is what is needed imo. The CC part is mind boggling imo. I dont even bother doing it anymore as a troll because it only lasts a few seconds and it usually has no affect on the run. It becomes a waste of power. Personally idc about the whole battle troll thing because im there to troll not dps. And there is too much of a focus on dmg in this game to begin with. But im not against having options on how to play. But something needs to change with controlling. For me the only real solution is content. Take a raid like thrones, ya needed 2 tanks because of ares and that white add (forget its name.) That is a mechanic that required groups to have 2 tanks for that fight.

Is there a reason this cant be done for controllers? Start giving us content that makes us run more then 5-1-1-1. And I love DCUO so figure out a way to fix the power issue. Its silly at this point. 3 trolls for awhile, then 1 while giving everyone power back. For the most part its 1 again now. Years have been spent on this and its no better then it was in the past :oops:
    • Like x 8
  18. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

Ares and Essence ;)
  19. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

dang beat me to it.

Totally agree with light FX.
    • Like x 2
  20. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

only reason I knew it is because I had struggled with that raid when it 1st dropped, and it was mainly b/c people wouldnt understand that you had to separate those 2 in order to beat Ares. So I never really ran that raid til after the 1st month and half I think it came out