Adrian Hodges - Old Friend [Post-Retcon]

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Jul 10, 2017.

1. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Picking himself up off the ground after Bern dropped him, Hodges watched as Ann’s body flickered in a dancing red light. The light slowly died down and everyone seemed to collect their wits and composure. Hodges dusted himself off and was the first to speak, “Look, I am going to get out of here for a little bit…..for what it’s worth, I didn’t mean to cause any problems, I just figured it was important for her to know what we are all dealing with if she is going to be hanging around”, referring to Ann. Hodges looked at Bern’s furrowing brow and clenching fists as he walked past the rock skinned titan. Hodges packed a bag of clothes and a few odds and ends, feelings of nervousness and sadness danced together throughout his body. A knocked interrupted the emotional swaying that commanded Hodges’ focus. Looking to the door, Hodges felt the hand of Sydney touch his shoulder. “How long you heading out for??”, her voice soft and tinged with rare concern. Hodges continued to pack “I am not sure, a few days, maybe a week. I need to do some research on what Melix said. Something potentially bad can happen if those two out there find their missing link, I need to make sure they don’t. I started this, and I need to make sure it doesn’t get finished. Hodges’ eyes looked around the room and gathered up some small trinkets for those chance encounters of the supernatural kind that he finds himself faced with periodically. Sydney asked “You going back to Edison?” Hodges nodded, she asked again “you going to see Missy??” Hodges nodded after a slight hesitation. Sydney went on to inquire a third time “you like her, don’t you?” Hodges waited a slight moment then acknowledging his feelings for his breakfast serving friend with a nod. “Does she know about your….talents?” Sydney wondered, to which Hodges thought a moment “I think so, I am not sure if she sees what I see, she knows I am into some ‘weird’ stuff, but I am not sure if she understands and or believes enough to see what is going on when I use my ‘talents’ as you say”.

Hodges snitched up his bag and threw it around his shoulder. Looking at Sydney, the two quietly acknowledged the history between them and then Hodges broke the quiet with “my life has not been normal for a long time Syd, there are only a handful of people who ‘get me’, you being right at the top of that list, for that I am and will be eternally grateful, but I want to feel normal for once…..for a while and Missy gives me that. With her, it is simple, it’s nice, it’s easy. We went to dinner one night a few weeks ago and it was effortless……Syd I can’t tell you the last time I had that with someone who wasn’t aware of what a the veil is or what the Barghest is.” Sydney listened to rare moment of her friend and at one time more than a friend allow himself to be emotionally vulnerable and genuine “I get it Adrian….go. Take the time you need, please. You deserve to be happy and if Missy is able to do that for you then go where she is.” Hodges nodded as a small smile formed on his face at the thought of sitting with Missy. Hodges walked to a wall and drew a symbol of it with his finger while speaking “haec sunt quae quaesivit, quaesivit passge est, hujus et servus est humilem mystico modo vias invenire in domum suam” as Hodges finished the incantation, his wall illuminated in a bright yellow light revealing the street light illuminated sidewalks of Edison Park. Hodges stepped through as he nodded to Sydney let her know “I’ll see you in a bit, tell big Conners that I am sorry, truly…” Sydney watched as the portal closed leaving just the dimly lamp lit room walk staring back at her.
    [IMG]
    Hodges walked out of the alley way in Edison Park and onto the street. Looking at the street sign indicating his location, Hodges got his bearings and heading to Missy’s diner. Twenty minutes and one mile later, Hodges found himself bathed in the florescent glow of the neon sign that hung in the window of the “Strange Brew Diner”. Stepping through the door of the diner, the familiar smells of bacon, warmed bread, cooked meat and coffee strong enough to stripped the varnish off a foot locker inhabited his nostrils. The smile created by these smells widened as Missy poked her head from around the kitchen area of the diner and greeted Hodges “hey there stranger, where you been hiding on me?” Hodges took a seat at the counter “Not hiding Missy, just working for my friend over there in Blackhurst, but I am here now and think I might be sticking around for a bit, if that is okay?” He looked up at her as she poured his coffee and saw a smile form on her face as he indicated his intentions “yeah, I guess that’s fine, the town needs some updating to its riff raff” she said with sarcastic bite. Hodges mixed up his coffee to taste and allowed the warmth of the diner to overtake him and his eyes followed Missy’s movements as they peered over the rim of the coffee mug his drank from slowly in quiet bliss.
    [IMG]
    Patrons entered and exited the diner over the course of the hour or so that Hodges sat at the counter. Darkness rolled into town as the hour on the clock read 8pm and the metallic bells on the door rang indicating another patron was entering the diner. Hodges, engrossed in his plate of eggs and hash browns didn’t notice the dark haired woman who sat down next to him despite several open seats at the counter. The woman, clad in a simple sweat shirt and jeans, her hair long and raven black, her eyes blue and inviting. Her eyes found their way to Hodges face who was filling it with greasy delights of the diner. Being taken back by the presence of someone in slight violation of a social contract, Hodges politely introduced himself with literal egg on his face “Hi, how are you?” The woman nodded and smiled “Hi, I’m Miranda, nice to meet you, this place has good food?” Hodges nodded as he wiped his face off “Uh…yeah, yeah they do, Missy is a wizard with hash browns” Miranda smiled “Ah, my favorite” Hodges turned back in his stool and sipped his coffee. Miranda continued to look at Hodges who slowly side eyed Miranda looking slightly too intently for his comfort “Um…..you looking for menu recommendations? Stay away from any of the salads….” Miranda laughed “Funny, I bet that is why Bernard likes you so much.” Hodges raised an eye brown at the mention of Bern. Miranda continued “It is nice to see him and Ann getting back together and being a family. Sydney seems nice though I agree that you and her really wouldn’t work out in the end.”
    [IMG]
    Hodges felt his comfort for this interaction growing smaller and smaller. Hodges raised an eyebrow and cautiously spoke up “Lady, I am not sure who you are or where you came from but I am not interested in playing twenty questions with a total stranger, I really just want to sit and eat my breakfast for dinner, drink this industrial grade coffee and go into that bathroom in the back and take a really nice dump, so if you will excuse me I will turn my attentions back to the plate and let you order as you will.” Miranda smiled at Hodges as he turned himself back to his food “you are a nice guy” she said with a gentleness to her words “I need to show you something” and she reached out and grabbed his hand that clung to his coffee mug, the steam from the hot liquid contents immediately ceased and the mugs contents froze solid. Hodges eyes fixed straight ahead and his blue eyes gained a pale white cloud to them. Miranda’s voice filled his head “I need to show you where we came from, I need you to see who he was and who he became, I need to tell him I am still with them.”
    [IMG]
    Hodges vison was filled with passing images of a young and human Bern with the woman who had sat down next to Hodges in the diner. The two of them laughing and smiling together as moments of their lives together passed. The moments turned darker and darker, episodes of drug use, drinking and anger darted from one side of his vison to another. Anger, hostility and aggression took over the once happier moments. A scene of a hospital came into vision for Hodges. Miranda was laying pregnant and screaming in a hospital bed with a doctor guiding her child out of her. The screams of the tired and sweaty Miranda lessened and the screams of a little girl filled the delivery room. A nervous and excitedly anxious but weathered Bernard waited by Miranda’s side. Miranda smiled “take care of her Bernard….I love you and will always be with you two”. Miranda’s life had slowly left her as the child that would become Ann entered into this world. Bernard looked over to Miranda and began yelling and shaking her “Mir…..Miranda??? C’mon honey wake up!!!.....NO, NO, NO, NO!!” Doctor’s rushed to tend the new mother as machines beeped and echoed their steady tone.

Nurses tended to the infant Ann, Bernard was exited out of the delivery room as doctors and nurses tended to Miranda. As the moments passed, it felt like he was out there in the hallway for an eternity. A doctor came out holding the newborn Ann and handed her to Bernard. In that moment all seemed right in the world, the little girl murmured contently and a warmth rushed through his body and soul. Bernard looked up at the doctor and asked “Miranda?” The doctor’s face, once holding a smile, faded to a look of personal disappointment “I’m sorry son, but she didn’t make it……I am truly sorry”. Bernard’s world suddenly felt torn in two. The visions passed quicker and quicker to the time Bernard, in what would be his last sober act for a period of time left Ann on the steps of the police department and through a rock through their window before running off into the night. Drinking and drugs were all that were seen from that moment on until Hodges came to the site of a weathered Bernard sitting on bench in the park as mother and daughter walked passed them and the girl asked “Mommy, when is daddy coming home?” The mother’s voice turned quiet and cautious “I’m not sure baby, daddy’s at school for a while and I am not sure when he is going to get a break.” Bernard knew full well what “at school” meant as he had heard many of his ‘associates’ reference how they told their children that they were ‘at school’ as a cover for their mandated treatment and or incarceration. Bernard picked himself up off the bench and the visions passed, fast forwarding to sights of him in groups and offices giving drug tests and getting treatment. The visions whirled by to show him working on the construction sites with his boss and co-workers, leading to his accident that resulted in him coming in contact with the artifact containing Surtr’s power and essence.
    [IMG]
    Hodges’ vision came back to normal and he felt the warmth return to his body. His gaze shot over to Miranda who stood from her stool and asked him “I know what you can do and I am asking you to put me in contact with them, I need it.” Hodges looked at her as she walked out of the diner and he said “the reason……she is the reason”. Hodges looked back to the counter, his body shook a little in discomfort as he adjusted in his seat. Missy was standing in front of him holding a pot of coffee, her face holding a puzzled and confused look “Hodges, I know you are into some weird stuff, but seriously….you just sat there for the better part of thirty minutes looking stoned out of your mind and muttering to yourself….are you okay?”

~To Be Continued~
    • Like x 4
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Interesting story, not your own art or game screenshots this time? o_O
    • Like x 1
  3. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Much appreciated friend. Interesting good? Interesting not sure how I feel about it? Art wise I can't get what I am looking for from game screen shots nor the time to draw stuff out and write the story while I had solid ideas to get out. Hope you enjoyed either way.
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

'Interesting' as in 'looking forward to reading more' :D
    At first, thought you had changed your style, but using other art, if it fits the scene and saves you time, is not a bad thing
    • Like x 1
  5. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

*my reaction after reading*
    [IMG]
    I loved the interactions between the characters but props to the scene with Hodges using his ability to act as a medium, though unwantingly, since it was Miranda who needs his help. Still, cannot wait for the next part. As Dark said above, very interesting.
    • Like x 2
  6. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Much appreciated Ms. Benz. I had the part of Hodges in the diner for a while after writing the last story. I knew how I wanted to end the piece but wasn't sure how to get there. I felt that acknowledging the history a bit between Hodges and Syd was needed. I felt that it was also helpful to show Hodges inner feelings about the world he is a part of as I think this lends itself for further development. Missy is a character I want to develop and fold into Hodges' story a bit more.

With Hodges' powers, he is able to see spirits and communicate with them at times, though they seek him out more often than the other way around. This experience was something new for him though.

As always, I genuinely appreciate the likes and comments from yourself and the others. It keeps me going.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  7. AlienNomad Well-Known Player

[IMG]

Wow. THIS! This story right here is for me, the most memorable one from you yet Bern. TBH that whole medium thing does give me the hebegebees, nevertheless the story is powerful and your writing I believe is good enough that you could write your own book or graphic novel if you wanted to. Great job Bernard!! Looking forward to more!

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  8. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

[IMG]
    Much appreciated friend. I really enjoyed this one and in the end I felt that it was a solid read for me. I still have a lot to do in terms of fleshing out the world these people are all set it and specifically who/what they are fighting against. Part of the problem I am running into is an actual place/device to sit and write at. I am without a personal laptop/PC to sit at and the one in my office is having the hard drive replaced, so I am limited to the times when I can get into my office and use the desktop in the staff area when no one is around.

I know I have said this before but I am really trying to flesh out/retcon the whole Drazeel thing or another big baddie to give some of this stuff a more solid direction. As I work on that I think I will be fleshing out more of Sydney as a stand alone character.

I truly appreciate the support and comments/feedback from you and everyone else who takes the times to read and comment on these. They really keep me going. Thanks a lot.
    [IMG]
  9. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Just a bump for now.
  10. Agent Canada Active Player

I posted a doodle for you on my Agent Canada Doodle thread, if you like it you can do whatever you like with it.
    AC
    • Like x 1
  11. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I don't know how, but I totally missed this and wanted to say thank you for the doodle. Much appreciated.